New User
Kenyon

Please add an e-reader for Linux users!

I am delighted that you have provided e-book software for Personal Compouters that run Windows and Macintosh OS, as well as a growing number of cell phones and the like. Note that you are at this point well ahead of Amazon which insists that I spend $299 on a Kindle before I can purchase one of their books. Equally importantis the ability to read the public domain books that Google has scanned without charge!

Unfortunately, I strongly prefer to use the Linux OS, and in particular the current version of Ubuntu. Indeed, the easiest format for Ubuntu and the many other variants of the Debian Distribution of Linux is a .deb file.

At the very least, I request that you can work with the maintainers of the WINE software (www.winehq.org) so that the next version of your Windows software will properly use Wine to run on all Linux machines. (The current version of your software installs on WINE 1.1.26 but fails when opening a book file)!

Contributor
Keyrunner

Re: Please add an e-reader for Linux users!

The fact that the Barnes and Noble ereader fails to work on Linux is particularly strange since the ereader software from ereader.com works fine on Ubuntu linux 8.04 and 9.04 under both wine and Crossover Office.  The BN software is entirely based on the ereader.com software since BN now owns ereader.com as a result of its purchase of fictionwise.com.  Incidentally, it appears that the current ereader software will permit Linux users to read books purchased from the BN ebook store.  The more interesting question is why Barnes and Noble would want to take a perfectly good piece of software that actually runs on Linux and somehow disable it to disenfranchise the Linux customers in their customer base from using their software.  Sounds more than a bit counterproductive to me!  Until they fix this problem, I will continue buying my books from ereader.com and fictionwise.com.  While BN owns both, that move will at least impact the bottom line of the new BN store.  I encourage other Linux users to do the same.
New User
Kenyon
0 Kudos

I have just downloaded the Fictionwise e-reader, successfully installed it on my Ubuntu 9.04 system using Wine v.1.1.26, obtained a free book from Fictionwise (4th Wish), and have successfully read it.

Yes, the Fictionwise e-reader is almost identical to the B&N e-reader. But I can only speculate that as they made changes from one to another, they INADVERTANTLY ruined its WINE compatability. :-(

New User
walena
0 Kudos

Definately needs a Linux reader version!

It would be great for the large Linux community especially in Europe.  I would certainly prefer to read on my Ubuntu Linux Netbook vs the poor performance and small screen on my Blackberry.

I'm sure anyone responding to this post would be more than willing to beta test a Linux version.

New User
Scott67
0 Kudos

I am very much interested in a Linux reader. I have various ways around the non-native issue (wine, Virtualbox), but native would be much better. It's a small market, but it would give you tons of Geek cred, which when it comes to techie stuff like this might be worth it. Just think -- it would be, as far as I know, the only natively-running linux e-reader. Even though the market may be small, we will all use it! A bit of advice though -- either release the source code so it can be installed on many distros, or test and release several binary packages: I would suggest having an rpm, deb, and archlinux package ready to go if you want people to easily adopt it. I'd be happy to be a beta-tester.

Jennifer_H

Thank you for your posts.  B&N believes that you should be able to read your eBooks on any device yo want.  We will be adding new devices over the coming weeks/months and we will report back as new devices become available.

Thanks!

Jennifer

New User
Luckydag
0 Kudos

+1. B&N reader under linux would be fantastic.
New User
pupa411
0 Kudos

I would like to add my two cents. Yes, please add a reader for Linux! I have an Asus netbook which runs GNU Linux. It would be great to have a reader that is compatible with that.
Reader
Justin_F
0 Kudos

Another intersted in linux support.
New User
Greenwizard88
0 Kudos

I would like to add my $.02 to this discussion...

The street cred' that BN would get for releasing an e-reader on Linux would be great. I would suspect that many tech blogs would report on the fact, and the free advertising would more then offset the cost of writing a native client, although I wouldn't say no to an officially supported wine port either :smileyhappy:

Reader
Justin_F
0 Kudos

I really hope BN has a reader version soon for linux, but for those interested I have found this little workaround.

I used the BN ereader on a windows virtual machine to download my BN purchased books.  I then can transfer them to linux and read them via Wine + ereader from ereader.com.

http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/product/download/15009/eReader%20Win%20Pro%203.0.3.zip

You then verify your purchase just like normal.  This is a little more work then I would like, but now I have an option until there is a linux version, or a version that at least works with Wine.

hope this helps someone for now.

Justin

New User
rewyllys
0 Kudos

Please add me as a long-time B&N customer who is hoping very much for a Linux version of the B&N eREADER.  Thanks!

New User
Abodsalas
0 Kudos

OK. There is a clear need for the ereader under linux.

The ereader that one downloads from the bn.com site won't run using wine on Ubuntu 9.04.

However, I installed the ereader from ereader.com (specifically eReader Win Pro 3.0.3.zip).

Uncompressed it and worked great with wine.

Then I added the book I bought, typed the name and password and unlocked the file perfectly.

Hope this works for others too.

Saludos,

Andrés

New User
Jaeben
0 Kudos

I have tried the above described method using the windows reader at ereader.com and the wine emulator on Ubuntu 8.04 and it works perfectly. Thanks so much for the info.

New User
ggpanta
0 Kudos

+1 for Linux support

New User
1sachan
0 Kudos

Another strong request for a Linux (Debian distribution type) support of the eReader !

Isao

Reader
ScrapFan
0 Kudos

I would LOVE if a LINUX version of the B&N e-reader was available as my EEEPC is the perfect, small size/

New User
michelebot
0 Kudos

Add my vote for the e-reader for Linux!

Distinguished Correspondent
Phil_K
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your posts regharding Linux. Though we remain committed to supporting as many different devices and platforms as possible, the word I'm getting is that there is nothing in the works right now in terms of a Linux-compatible eReader. Sorry I don't have something more positive to report, but I'll definitely let everyone know if there are any updates on this topic.

Reader
ScrapFan
0 Kudos

With the many EEE mini pcs being used (which resemble a Kindle and have an ebook reader for NON-DRM books) that run on a LINUX platform, B&N could sell many more ebooks if a LINUX option would be made available.  Tks for getting back to me!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 258 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: