New User
cbaxley
0 Kudos

Re: Please add an e-reader for Linux users!

The one from ereader chops off text on every page on fedora 12. I used alien to convert the deb package to an rpm and it opens them fine but all of the text is not on each page.

New User
cbaxley
0 Kudos

Someone said people were not likely to stop reading... but I will choose to purchase from a competetor who offers a way to get the book to my regular reading area, eg. linux laptop.

And then people are creatures of habit so I now am purchasing from a competetor regularly.

New User
zobbo
0 Kudos

+1 for linux support. Diesel sells epubs, why can't BN?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

zobbo wrote:

Diesel sells epubs, why can't BN?

Um, it's B&N's switchover to EPUB that's causing the problem.

B&N used to sell e-books in Secure eReader format. You could read those on Linux using eReader.com's software. But now B&N is switching to EPUB with eReader DRM, and only the B&N eReader software will handle that.

Contributor
Onestar
0 Kudos

It seems like there's a lot of folks out here...myself included...who are practically begging for a version of the B&N software for Linux, and particularly Ubuntu.

Seems like it's almost a year since this thread started, and still, there's no official *nix client. 

Is there ANY chance we'll see a client for this platform?

New User
davidand36
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Another vote for a Linux eReader.

It appears that a version that runs under Wine might not be far away. The problem opening books for reading seems to be a call to CreateFontIndirectExA, which is unimplemented in Wine. It may help to put some pressure on the Wine developers to fix this; a bug has already been reported: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13064 . But there may be other problems that will show up after this is addressed. That's why a native app is preferable.

Obviously B&N is already porting this app to several platforms. My guess is that they've employed different teams for different platforms, rather than starting with a real cross-platform plan, using Java, GTK+, QT, or something similar. (This happens at a lot of dev studios.) I hope they are becoming more forward looking. The fact that they have an eReader for the iPhone and Blackberry but not for Android phones suggests that they have some serious problems above and beyond the lack of Linux support.

Given the competition B&N faces from all sides, I hope they get their act together very soon.

I would be especially happy if B&N supplied a plug-in for Calibre that allowed that excellent app to read B&N ePubs after prompting for the password.

New User
Loushon
0 Kudos

An ereader for B&N would be fantastic.

Contributor
WJanowski
0 Kudos

One more +1 for a Linux ereader.

New User
Tarheel820
0 Kudos

I totally agree!

Contributor
Noox
0 Kudos

I can run the B&N app for Windows just fine under Wine.

Though I agree, a native Linux app would be much better.

Reader 4
Silverback333
0 Kudos

Wow! Thanks to all the posts on this thread I managed to download Wine. That solved my problem. Didn't know about wine till I read the thread. Thanks to one and all. Luv my nook & wine.

Reader
EnigmaticCoder
0 Kudos

I'm another user who would benefit from Linux ereader support.

Just chiming in. :smileyhappy:

New User
Philfree
0 Kudos

Yes +1 count me in.

Would love to be able to read B&N e-book on my NetBook with Ubuntu.

New User
dsevans93
0 Kudos

I also would purchase ebooks if they were available for reading on LInux. For now I'll just download the free ones and read them on wife's mac.

New User
araujoms
0 Kudos

You'll be pleased to know that wine has fixed this bug, and as of version 1.2 the eReader works. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but everything seems to be ok.

Now, B&N staff: don't screw this up. It's not hard to do regression testing. You're getting linux support for free.

Contributor
WJanowski
0 Kudos

Yes!  The Nook reader works great under Wine 1.2!  If your Linux distro doesn't recognize the new version from your system update manager, go to winehq.org for instructions on how to add the Wine repository to your software sources.

Contributor
WJanowski
0 Kudos

For even more fun, use the command "xrandr -o left" (without quotes) from a terminal window to rotate your screen to portrait mode before opening your reader.  "xrandr -o normal" returns it to landscape.

New User
blackrussian
0 Kudos

+1 here for native linux support.
On the positive note, I successfully run the latest eReader on Ubuntu 10.04 with wine 1.3

New User
TwistyNye
0 Kudos

I'm another buyer who wants support for eReader on Lunix.

I'm not likely to purchase another ebook here unless it becomes easier to read them on my desktops or notebooks running Linux than it is to read it on my old Palm z22.

Reader
EnigmaticCoder
0 Kudos

Is there any way to be automatically emailed about Linux nook apps?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 283 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: