Contributor
goobysmootcher
0 Kudos

Re: Please add an e-reader for Linux users!

Well bummer.  I saw some interesting books availble for BN's eReader and thought it'd be great to read some of them on my netbook. However my netbook runs Linux, so it seems there'll be no ebooks for me.  Bah.  I think the folks at B&N understimate how many people would be interested in an eReader for their Linux machines.  I'd love to read books using my netbook, and I will not pay hundreds for a kindle.

New User
jedihawk
0 Kudos

Agreed!  Please release ebook reader software for Linux.  I use CentOS.

Contributor
EricTeall
0 Kudos

Yes to ereader for Linux!

New User
stanleyk
0 Kudos

You do not need to run under Linux; merely get your Windows application running under WINE, a Windows program layer that runs in Linux.  This should be realtivly easy for you because the eReader application fom which you built the BN eReader already runs well onder WINE.  Just fix what you broke in the customization process. 

You will get access to millions of Linux users if you undertake this effort.  If you need help, let us know.  Thank you for your consideration!

Reader
Justin_F
0 Kudos

@Phil_K, well that is disappointing, but not surprising. 

I have to agree with stanleyk, in the least if BN could fix the Windows client so that it could run under WINE that would be a big boost. I will keep my fingers crossed maybe the next release will just work.

I know there are a lot of linux users out there and the numbers keep increasing every day especially with the netbook market.  It would be nice to know the actual numbers of customers interested in the ereader that use linux. 

Maybe BN should put a poll up before their next development cycle and see what device people are wanting to use with ereader.  Or perhaps we all should just get a nook :smileywink:

Contributor
Keyrunner
0 Kudos

Since the Nook runs on the Android Linux platform, BN obviously already has a linux compatible ereader software which it is using on the Nook.  Modifying it for the Linux desktop use should not be a major task, involving primarily a change in the input interface.  Thus, the decision not to release the linux version for desktop use looks like an effort to promote the Nook over its customer needs and demands for a linux destop version.  Not exactly a user-friendly decision despite BN protests on this threat to the contrary.  In the meantime the ereader.com free software runs under Wine and Crossover Office and reads the reader format used by BN.

New User
Delaford
0 Kudos

+1

New User
lunomad
0 Kudos

+1 for a native linux reader or a wine-compatible version...

Just a quick re-cap for the non-techs out there:

There are two (at least) ways of running software on Linux:

1) Make a native linux version, much like the difference between "Mac" software and "Windows" software, Linux works best with its own native software.  As others have pointed out, the recently-released Nook runs linux, so a native linux version of the reader is out there already in some form.

2) Use wine (www.winehq.org).  The wine team have developed their own compatibility layer so that applications written for windows can run on linux--just install and run! Some major applications (photoshop, microsoft office) already run on wine.

Please please please please, BN, listen to our pleas, and I do agree that the free advertising from having a linux native client should offset its development costs.

Frequent Contributor
nikolawannabe
0 Kudos

@Phil_K and B&N - Thank you very much for the quick feedback and responsiveness!  If only every company had such great customer support.

Something to pass along to your execs and for the marketing guys:

Cross-compatibility is a huge boon to any company looking to really establish their place as a household name across the software market.  The Linux user demographic consists of a huge number of early adopters who are very vocal about their opinions to friends and family, and often are the source of many recommendations of technology. 

Adobe Air and Flash have not had their market share touched by Silverlight.  Despite the technology being well-designed, many website designers are reluctant to implement a solution which will never be available on a portion of their customer's userbase.

Even a statement of B&N's intention to provide a version in the future that runs on linux will be considered an olive leaf to the community and increase your adoption rate significantly.

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

A few points: 

Maybe the quickest way would be to ask for some help from the calibre project - http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/  - That would certainly be the best option, and Calibre is already cross-platform. 

AIso, I really don't understand why anyone developing any software for any purpose doesn't just start with the assumption that it must be cross-platform.  Java is an option - I'd prefer a native application as opposed to using Wine but anything is better than nothing. 

And one last thing, honestly, after looking at the feature set of the eReader from BN I don't really think I'd use it much anyway until it matures.  To me, it looks more like a sample application to demonstrate the basic functionality of a potential eReader application.  It would take a good Linux developer a very short amount of time to exceed the ability of the BN suplied application if they were so inclined and were allowed to do so.

Contributor
Mikedsokc
0 Kudos

I would also like to be added to the list of Linux users. I run Ubuntu. I most likely will not buy a Nook or Kindle for that mater. Being able to read ebooks on Linux is a must for me. Thanks.

New User
stoobie
0 Kudos

Add yet another request for an e-reader that works under Linux! If such were available, I would be purchasing e-books already rather than waiting until the nook is available. I haven't run Windows on my computers since 2002, and I don't currently have a Windows install that I can use.

Barnes and Noble, please consider the following:

* I can purchase an install of Windows to run your *FREE* e-reader, or

* You can release an e-reader for Linux, and I can happily spend the same money on a Nook.

I really can't afford both, so the decision is up to you. Whose pocket do you want me to stuff my money into, yours or Microsofts?

New User
sin0nyx
0 Kudos

You can run the barnes and noble ereader through wine.  This doesn't work flawlessly but the work around is not to bad. 

Ken Sharp's first post on http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20435 explains how to get the ereader not to crash on startup.

1: Set wine to use windows 98.

2: Copy wininet.dll, normaliz.dll, and iertutil.dll to C:\windows\system32\ and set wine to use native wininet.dll.

3: Download your purchased book or free sample from bn.com (you can't download it with the ereader - Secure connections errors) and add the book with File->Add Books.

Enjoy

New User
Dwheels
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'de like to add a request for not only a linux compatible reader, but an ARM-linux compatible one for devices like Nokia N900 and the new line of ARM based netbooks and "smartbooks" (many of which run Ubuntu).

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Look, this is ridiculous, at least get your fancy B&N eReader PC software to work under Wine.  The damn thing is Linux based, how can you not have a reader for Linux.  Get it now... please.  You guys need to offer SOMETHING to your Linux customers. 

Contributor
JWFord
0 Kudos

I am able to get the eReader to load without crashing by following the advice on the winhq lin kposted above.  However, I am still not having any luck getting past the login screen.  Has anyone successfully logged in using wine + the eReader yet?

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Yeah, Linux support definiltey needs to be added, for those who use Linux.

Also, the Mac version needs to be updated to it actually syncs with one's library... It's basically a file viewer right now, and everything has to be done manually.

While I'm at it, a Palm Pre app would be great too.

New User
sin0nyx
0 Kudos

I wasn't able to get the login feature to work either.  You can work around it though by downloading the book through bn.com and then importing it into the e-reader.

New User
kojak666
0 Kudos

It's a shame that you don't have any plans to make a version with native linux support. In the meantime Kindle for PC works under wine. Not perfectly, but well enough to sync and read books. I'd prefer to purchase things from B&N rather than amazon, as I generally like you better, but If you all don't care then I guess I'll get over it.

Reader 4
Vivre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Really!  The whole reason I decided to go with nook instead of kindle was because I could read the books on my linux system under ereader.  Now B&N has killed that by switching to drm'd epub files that I can't read.  If the kindle software works under wine I am tempted to ebay my nook when it gets here and get a kindle instead.  I  have been buying on fictionwise and may still, but the selection can't compare to amazon and to what I was hoping B&N would carry. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 658 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: