Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Re: Please add an e-reader for Linux users!

This is definitely an issue switching to drmed epub, because linux users are painted into the corner of cracking the drm which is, shall we say, frowned upon.  At least with drmed pdb we could use ereader through wine. 

Does anyone know of a way to read drmed epub on linux at all?

Reader 4
Vivre
0 Kudos

I've heard that you can get ADE to work under WINE, but so far I am not having much luck.   I don't know if ADE will be able to open B&N encryption though.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Yeah the reports I read on that were sketchy as well.  Not to mention the fact that even if you do get it to work it is still quite possible that it won't read B&N drm yet. 

New User
lingenfr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Agreed I am trying to decide whether to buy my wife a nook or a kindle for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the kindle app worked fine under wine. The lending feature of nook caught my attention and might have offset the relatively limited selection of ebooks, but the lack of any linux support is a deal breaker. Unless B&N makes a commitment for at least support under wine in the next few days I expect I will go with the kindle. I understand the need of the authors to protect their work. While I don't like DRM as a method, as long as they don't limit my ability to view the content on the device and OS of my choice, I will live with it. B&N please listen to your customers and step up soon.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

If they just provided the android version of the software you should be able to use the android emulator available.  It shouldn't be hard to do that at least, since the nook is... well... ya know... android based.

Frequent Contributor
crane2
0 Kudos

Old thread but didn't see any mention of Calibre which has a native version for linux; I was able to read some free epub books from Baen & the Gutenberg Project.

Since Calibre supports the Nook, it is quite possible that getting BN ebooks to work on the Nook won't need wine even if there was a windows/mac version.

I don't have a Nook yet so don't know what the capabilities of Calibre with the Nook are; then again my opensuse isn't working now as somehow I mangled the partiton table & don't think that I can save/recover anything.

Oh, someone started a separate Calibre topic.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Calibre has no problem transfering the Nook files, the problem is that it cannot view them on your computer because of the drm. 

Frequent Contributor
crane2
0 Kudos

Then the problem is Adobe's DRM, ADE, & not a reader?

Don't know if an ADE is available for linux; do know that ADE isn't available/workable for win7; tried the winxp version & my troubles started like constant rebooting so had to go back to winxp

on my dual-boot.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Crane2 I am using Adobe Digital Editions on my Win 7 as we speak (type).  

Works for me. 

As for why no Linux edition, there is a ADE for mac, so you already know it can

run on a unix system, there is no excuse for there not being a linux version.

Why didn't B&N choose a more open source model?  Probably publisher 

pressure.

Any DRM scheme that relies in SECRET source code, is fundamentally broken.

The best DRM technology would have wide open source code that you still

couldn't break into.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

ADE runs in Wine, but it does not support the nook DRM yet, and will not until "early 2010."  So the problem has now been exasperated, because there really is no way for linux users to view their b&n epubs on their computer AT ALL, unless someone is aware of a workaround that I am not.   The pdbs could be viewed using ereader via wine, now nothing until B&N gets something going.

Contributor
ScottF
0 Kudos

Add my vote for a linux (or Wine compatable) verion of the B&N desk-top e-reader.

I do own a nook (which I LOVE, BTW), but I'm hoping to use the desk-top version to add notes and highlighting.

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

Also running Ubuntu here.  I have no trouble updating my nook on Linux but an eReader application would be nice.  As I've said before, today there is no excuse for not making any application platform/architecture nuetral.  Otherwise you are just leaving money on the table.

-Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Mark_F wrote:

Also running Ubuntu here.  I have no trouble updating my nook on Linux but an eReader application would be nice.  As I've said before, today there is no excuse for not making any application platform/architecture nuetral.  Otherwise you are just leaving money on the table.

-Mark

Since the application is free, and readers are not likely to stop reading just because they choose Linux, it would seem they are leaving nothing "on the table".   In fact, the linux market is so small there is no economic case to suppot any linux.  Better to plow the resources into the nook.

(And I say that as an avid linux user: Kubuntu, OpenSuse, Mepis, and BSD.)

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

Ubuntu support please !  (no wine if possible)

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Aother vote for Linux support.

New User
DJL25
0 Kudos

I'll apologize in advance for my tone, but the readers deserve the truth.

What is really sad IMO, is that given the very simple user interface, porting the OS X version's GUI from Quartz to GTK2 would probably take > 40 development hours (of course this does not include testing) to get to a stable 1.0 release.  Sounds like a lost 40 hours if B&N have consciously chosen not to support Linux, however, there is a hidden gem in that 40 hour investment - A single code base for all 4 desktop platforms.  I figure most of the posters here are not familiar with *nix development, however, if it compiles and runs on OS X (a BSD derivative employing mostly GNU software), the back end libraries will likely compile on Linux with very few, if any, changes. 

Yes, I said one code tree, same code compiles and runs on Windows, OS X, various Linux distros, various BSDs, with no need to maintain an additional reader...they simplify their development process, which results in an immediately realized cost reduction of the maintenance burden, and the experience is the same across all supported desktop platforms.

But, I'm not done yet!  Taking it a step further, borrowing the mantra of Sun's Java, "Write once, run anywhere", you could provide a single code base, with a very similar user experience on all devices, for virtually any platform, including mobile devices.

Any excuse provided by B&N, with the exception of pressure from the content providers, is either related to absolutely piss poor market research, or is utter bull dung to keep from blaming or embarassing their content providers.  In either case, their is absolutely no valid excuse for alienating Linux users (who are only asking for binary programs, not source code), especially when accounting for the fact that supporting FOSS users would reduce the overall cost of development for all platforms.

Sorry for the abuse of bold text above, but people really do need to wake up to FOSS.  The money isn't in the software any more, it's services and content.  Even the giants at Microsoft have realized this continuing trend and have began to move to the cloud.  Additionally, the idea of open development (which the Linux users on this forum have not yet asked for) would greatly increase the quality of tons of software products. Companies get thousands of the greatest development minds for free!  Anyway, I'm rambling...all real points for B&N to consider were made in the previous paragraphs.

Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Since the application is free, and readers are not likely to stop reading just because they choose Linux, it would seem they are leaving nothing "on the table".   In fact, the linux market is so small there is no economic case to suppot any linux.  Better to plow the resources into the nook.

(And I say that as an avid linux user: Kubuntu, OpenSuse, Mepis, and BSD.)

Currently linux adoption is nearly double that of the iPhone OS and there is a reader for iPhone.

Check this link

Frequent Contributor
Mike_A
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doesn't the eReader software:

http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm

open Nook Books?  I thought they used the same DRM.

-Mike-

PS.  I just tested it and DRM Nook books open fine in the reader.  It doesn't have download capabilities, but it's a fully functional reader. 

New User
heydemo
0 Kudos

Linux support would be great!  No point in buying ebooks here until that point...

New User
froggontherocks
0 Kudos

I would also like to see a native linux reader For what it might matter I'm using Ubuntu

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 1,091 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: