Contributor
kaol
0 Kudos

Re: Please add an e-reader for Linux users!

While I don't have a Nook device I do have both the B&N Desktop Reader (now called Nook for PC) and the Nook Study installed on my Mepis 8.5 system (it's a Debian variant and also Ubuntu-software friendly) using wine 1.2. The Nook Study is my favorite of several ereaders I've installed this way (not the Kindle app, by the way, which doesn't work) because of its two-page spread, the ability to read two books side by side, its note-taking facility, and its apparent ability to use any font, not just the ones supplied with the reader. Both B&N readers do well with free ebooks from B&N and elsewhere, but the DRM scheme doesn't agree with my setup, as neither reader will load a book I purchased from B&N (my first, actually), and won't read B&N's samples. Of course both work well on my Windows laptop, and there's no problem with DRM stuff there.

Frequent Contributor
Flyweight
0 Kudos

I, too, would love to see a native Linux app for the BN  reader for PC.  Or at least something that would run under Crossover/Wine.  I can install the app and it pulls up my library but it's very buggy (I'm unable to actually open/read a book).  Urghh...it's so annoying.  But I still love Ubuntu.

Contributor
mockturtleCG
0 Kudos

I've tried running the B&N ereader with wine 1.2 and 1.3 on Kubuntu 10.04.  It doesn't work with either of them.  Does anyone  have the ereader working on Kubuntu?  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?

Frequent Contributor
Flyweight
0 Kudos

It doesn't really work under Linux.  I've got it half-assed working using Crossover/Wine and Ubuntu.

I can download books but the reader won't display them when I open them.

Calibre is a better program for library management.  I download my books from BN's site and then add them to Calibre to keep back up copies.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Flyweight wrote:

It doesn't really work under Linux.  I've got it half-assed working using Crossover/Wine and Ubuntu.

Not surprising, as reports are that the Windows version is still pretty buggy.

Contributor
mockturtleCG
0 Kudos

I wouldn't mind using eCaliber, but it can't open the books protected with DRM.  I don't mind respecting the copyrights on the books, but I would like to be able to read them on my Linux notebook.  Is there anyway of either getting the B&N reader working on Linux or dealing with DRM?

New User
hedred
0 Kudos

Another vote for a native Linux app. Android is Linux based and the Nook is Android based, so it is an easy progression to a true linux application. Many Netbooks and some new tablets have linux on them, so i think B&N would see a lot of value and get plugged in to an untapped market segment.

Contributor
Onestar

I find it fascinating that there are five pages of comments from users requesting an e-reader for Linux, and yet, after all this time, there's no such app.

Granted, there are the support issues, and odds are trying to use DRM'd material in an open-source environment makes it less appealing to the programmers.

What's more fascinating is that a competitor has no problem with their e-reader being repackaged into a .deb file so it CAN be used on Ubuntu.

Perhaps that's all the impetus needed to get the ball rolling, as it were, and have our Ubuntu version.

Frequent Contributor
JoeCA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There have been a bunch more threads about an e-reader for Linux.

I don't think DRM is that much of an issue. Afer all, there is the Nook itself, which is based on Android, i.e., Linux, and there is a B&N e-reader for Android smartphones.

Oh, and I forgot: I would love to have the reader for Linux.

New User
sbergman27
0 Kudos

B&N *really* needs to do something about this. It's just ugly that B&N is perfectly willing to use Linux to make their product development easier... and then completely ignores Linux users. I'll be purchasing my books elsewhere from now on.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

The NOOK team is working to support many different platforms in the future, but we have not made any specific announcements yet on Linux.

As an FYI, please note that our eBooks FAQ page has a section titled NOOK App under FAQ categories (see link below):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/help-faqs.asp?cds2Pid=29168&linkid=1615086

Contributor
WJanowski
0 Kudos

I may have figured this out.  The PC version of the Nook eReader app will run on Linux if installed using Wine 1.2 or higher, but some of you have reported that while you can install the app and download books, the books will not display.  Try this:

When you download a book, it is stored in your home directory in a folder called /My Barnes & Noble eBooks/username.  For some reason, the eBooks are downloaded with a .tmp file extension.  Make sure the Nook app is NOT running, then rename the eBook files, changing the extension from .tmp to .epub.  Restart the Nook app, go to your library, and the renamed book files should now open normally.

Just stumbled onto this and haven't tested it out extensively.  Give it a try and post your resuts if it works for you.

New User
TBurns
0 Kudos

Thank you, WJanowski.  After a lot of searching I found your tip about changing the suffix of the downloaded files.  That worked for me.  Below is a short shell script that changes the suffixes of all files under the My Barnes & Noble eBooks directory.  I put this in a file named bnrename.sh then ran "chmod u+x bnrename.sh" to make it executable.  Then I ran it by typing "./bnrename.sh".  This works on Fedora; other distributions may put the bash binary in another location (perhaps /usr/bin/bash).  If it doesn't work then run "which bash" to find it. 

#!/bin/bash

cd ~/"My Barnes & Noble eBooks"
for file in $(find . -name '*.tmp'); do
    mv $file $(echo $file | sed 's/\.tmp/.epub/')
done

exit 0

If B&N provided an open source Nook book reader then we could simply fix it to save the files with the correct suffix in the first place.  If they don't want to provide a native Linux application then perhaps they could provide a proprietary binary DRM library (libsomething.so) to plug into Linux community developed open source applications.

Reader 4
noobrick
0 Kudos

TBurns and WJanowski,

Thank you!  It works for me.

Some of us likely never will be using native Windows and don't particularly like WINE.

I'm with TBurns on this.  Just toss a DRM library over the wall and be done with it.  There are already better open source readers (DRM excepted) out there now anyhow.

B&N would be better off working on the NOOK firmware.  Two of the e-books I have bought from them so far are apparently so large (or so something??) that the Nook V1.4 can't swallow them. One ends prematurely and has very very slow paging performance and the other can't finish loading before the NOOK goes to sleep!  If not for that I'd likely never have discovered how _interesting_ their pc e-reader is.

Rick

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

*bump* for native Linux app!

If anyone's having problems with Nook for PC in Linux, I'd say try using the latest version of Wine. I run Nook for PC 2.5.2.458 (just updates yesterday) Ubuntu 10.10 with Wine 1.2.1. and have only one little problem: I have to rename the ebook files when they download from .tmp to .epub to be able to open them.

I've tried the apps of other ebook distributors and none work as well in Linux as Nook. I love Calibre but it can't open drm ebooks, so I stick with my Nook app when I want to read an ebook on my laptop. 

I think the best deal would be to have an Android tablet running both Nook & Kindle apps so I could read from both stores. But until I can spring for a new tablet and decent Android tablets become available (which might be a long while), I'm sticking with my Linux laptop, and would love to have a Linux Nook app.

Reader
MarAbe
0 Kudos

Another Ubuntu user here. I also would like to see a native Linux reader.

I own a Nook. I've read a couple of my books on Linux using Wine and the PC ebook reader, and  I've tried reading a couple on my Mac OS X desktop computer. Every one of the readers: Nook, PC, and Mac have a totally different look-and-feel, different page display options, etc. Why not develop a Java-based reader the will look and function exactly the same on every platform? Only one code base to maintain that way too :smileyhappy:

Contributor
tuells
0 Kudos

I'll add my vote to this. I am unable to use the library feature of the Nook because I can't use overdrive  and refuse to run windows (and _really_ refuse to allow windows to interact with the net!!!) so I can't use ADE. I have already emailed overdrive to suggest a linux version. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can use the library feature?

New User
heredavid
0 Kudos

WOW- July 09 promised an ereader and still no Ubuntu reader...Guess I should take back the two NookColor books and go for something else so I/we can read books on our systems...

Thank you for your posts.  B&N believes that you should be able to read your eBooks on any device yo want.  We will be adding new devices over the coming weeks/months and we will report back as new devices become available.

Thanks!

Jennifer

New User
etank
0 Kudos

I will throw my vote in as well for a version of the Nook app for Linux. I use Arch Linux on my personal system and I support Linux systems at work. I do not have any Windows or Mac systems at all. Having a native (no Windows app wrapped in wine) client would really be nice.

New User
daleraby
0 Kudos

OK.  I downloaded a sample from B&N and successfully opened and read it with both Lucidor and FBreader.  So I thought, "cool, it works, now I'll buy the ebook and read it on my Fedora 11 box!"  Shortly after this, I was introduced to concepts like DRM and encryption. 

Sooooo.... I have no major problems with DRM.  I'm a writer, I understand having to keep control of copyrighted material.  But... shouldn't your sample be provided in the same way as the material available for purchase!?

Plenty of talk about WINE here.  I don't do Windows.  My machine does NOT have an MSDOS partition on it, nor do I want one.  You guys have an Android app.  Get somebody to make something compatible with at least a few of the more popular Linux distros.  Most likely you don't even need to hire anybody to do it. 

Alternatively; how 'bout an on-line reader we can access from the 'net?

Come on guys... this is not rocket science! 

If you can't do Linux, then you should warn customers BEFORE you sell them your product.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:52 members 494 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: