Contributor
calipanthergrl
0 Kudos

Problem with Nook App on iPad 2

Has anyone else had issues with the Nook app on the iPad 2 or iOS 4.3? 

The app loads fine and allows me to sign in.  The first time I used the app, I downloaded a book I previously started reading on my Nook and the app functioned correctly; it took me to the last page I read on my Nook (yay!).  However, I went to download a book I recently purchased from bn.com (I'll have to double check, but I do not believe I had yet downloaded the recent purchase to my Nook) and when the app went to open the book, it crashed (returned to the home screen).  Now, everytime I open the app, it tries to load the book and crashes. 

I tried to deleting the iBooks app to see if there was a conflict, but the Nook app continued to crash upon opening.  I powered the iPad down several times and restarted, but the app continued to not work.

I deleted the Nook app and re-installed it.  Again, I was able to sign in and view my library, but when I tried downloading the same book again the app crashed. 

I haven't found any mention of this problem online elsewhere.  So I'm wondering if this is just me or if it's a iPad 2/iOS 4.3 compatibility issue.  Any insight would be much appreciated.

New User
cc45
0 Kudos

Re: Problem with Nook App on iPad 2

Same here - very frustrating

Frequent Contributor
Jana_DeLeon
0 Kudos

So I guess no one's going to answer this? That stinks as I just got an ipad2 and am waiting to do the app when I know it will work.
Humorous romantic mysteries set deep in the Louisiana bayous.
Buy my backlist. $3.99/book
http://janadeleon.com
Contributor
calipanthergrl
0 Kudos

I guess not. But it does appear to be isolated to the lendable books, I've purchased. All the other books work - so far - on the app. Still hoping for an update soon, though.
Reader
Tweedman

Unfortunately, B&N released a buggy, feature-poor app in October and despite frequent complaints (almost 1,500 one-star ratings in the app store) have not released an update. During that same period, both iBooks and Kindle for iPad have released more than one update, and are both vastly superior to the Nook app. I've had to stop using Nook, and I suggest everyone else does, too.

New User
JAL1978

I actually contacted B&N about the iPAD2 and the Nook app.  I am getting my iPAD2 today and promised my Nook to someone else.  B&N wrote back saying at this time they do not support the iPAD2, so any bugs you are experiencing sounds like it would be accurate.  Makes me dissapointed since I am a long time user of the Nook and have a lot invested in it.

Contributor
nana_vg
0 Kudos

Maybe now that they have the color, they've decided not to support the iPad like they used to. That's very disappointing. I have had the regular, non-color Nook for a year. My husband has the original iPad and he and I share the books on my Nook account. My iPad 2 will arrive at the end of May, and I was expecting to be able to read my books from my Nook library on it. So I'm terribly disappointed that B&N has made the decision not to support iPad 2. I think that's a big mistake. I guess my hubby and I will start buying all our ebooks from Apple iTunes and B&N will miss out on our purchases.

New User
AMS0841
0 Kudos

This is very sad to hear. I have promised my Nook to someone as well, and my iPad 2 hasn't made it here yet either. I have always been a big fan of B&N. However, they really need to do something about these customer complaints. Especially, when some of these customers are Nook owners..

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

[ Edited ]

AMS0841 wrote:

I have promised my Nook to someone as well, and my iPad 2 hasn't made it here yet either. I have always been a big fan of B&N. However, they really need to do something about these customer complaints. Especially, when some of these customers are Nook owners..

Unfortunately, it's probably not B&N's doing. Apple has quit approving new e-book reading apps, and is planning to kick all of the non-Apple apps off of the iOS App Store at the end of June.

Sony's e-reader app was rejected back in late January, and BeamItDown Software has terminated their iFlow Reader and is closing their e-book store (indeed, their entire business) at the end of the month. BeamItDown wrote some very caustic things about Apple's high-handedness:

We bet everything on Apple and iOS and then Apple killed us by changing the rules in the middle of the game. This is a very sad day for innovation on iOS in this important application category. We are a small company that thought we could build a better product. We think that we did but we are powerless against Apple’s absolute control of the iOS platform.

Apple has decided that it wants all of the e-book business in iOS for itself and it has has made mid-game rule changes that make it impossible for anyone but Apple to sell e-books at a profit on iOS.

Apple wants you to buy your e-books at the iBookstore, so they're going to try to force you to use iBooks. As a company, Apple "doesn't play well with others" — if you buy an Apple product, you can expect to be at the mercy of Apple.

Frequent Contributor
DLCrouch
0 Kudos

I've been using the Nook app on my IPAD2 since I bought it and have had very few problems. I can download and read lendable books w/o any problems. I am running IOS 4.3.3

And no problems with Overdrive or Kindle.

Doug - it's a bit more complicated (and nefarious) than just "Apple has quit approving new e-book reading apps, and is planning to kick all of the non-Apple apps off of the iOS App Store at the end of June."

More precisely - " The Wall Street Journal reports that publishers have been notified that by March 31, "newspaper and magazine apps that don't take payments through the iTunes store will be rejected." - Readwriteweb.com. Apple gets 30 % and the app publisher must charge the same rate they do outside of the App Store (and Apple doesn't share the subscriber info).

This can be and is a killer for small app publishers. I don't think it's the same for BN and Amazon. I'll be very,very suprised if Kindle and the BN reader are 'de-listed' next month.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DLCrouch wrote:

More precisely - " The Wall Street Journal reports that publishers have been notified that by March 31, "newspaper and magazine apps that don't take payments through the iTunes store will be rejected." - Readwriteweb.com. Apple gets 30 % and the app publisher must charge the same rate they do outside of the App Store (and Apple doesn't share the subscriber info).

But since the (reported) commission that B&N and Amazon make on agency model books is 30%, why would they give up all their profit solely for the "privilege" of remaining on iOS?  

For 40% of their sales, they'll make no money?  What's the point?

Reader
librarywendy
0 Kudos

I am horrified by this news!  I can't believe it's true!  I updated my Nook account on my wonderful new iPad2 and am not able to download any of my books. The cover art and the "download" button are all there but when I click on the download button, it simply says "We're sorry. An unknown server error has occurred.  Please try your download again later." 

I did a quick test and none of my books will download, new or old, lendable or not.  My subscription to Havard Business Review downloaded just fine though. 

Who do I call to get answers about this?!?! 

Reader
librarywendy

I am also having problems with my old iPad.  Nook books will also not download to that!!! :-(

Reader
jtmullins1

I was having the same issues with my iPad2. Any book I bought after I got the iPad would download. Any book I bought before I got the iPad I would get the "We're sorry. An unknown server error has occurred. Please try your download again later." message.

After messing around with it a couple of days, I opened the nook app and clicked on the word nook in the upper left hand corner. There is an option to sign out. I clicked on sign out and it asked me if I wanted to restore nook to it's facotry settings. I clicked on yes and the app reset. After that I could download all my books in my library. I have close to 100 and all downloaded but one. (I had trouble with that one on my nook also though).

Not technically a fix, but it worked for me.

Also, it did not reset my nook itself, just the app on my iPad.

Reader
jphart
0 Kudos

I had simlar problems after first installing the IPad2 app and I made a purchase from B&N and downloading two books.

JTMullins directions above is a fix  that worked for me.  (and don't try and post to this community from the iPad either.  I had to go to a PC to sign-in and post!)  Won't work directly from the iPad browser window.  Flash issue?

New User
Toryj
0 Kudos

Thank you jtmullins! I am leaving for vacation today and I bought my first Nook book for iPad. Resetting the nook app to factory settings was the only thing that seemed to work. Everytime I hit download it would only let me open in iBooks or Overdrive and neither of those apps downloaded correctly. For any iPad2 users, I highly suggest the reset option- only thing that worked for me.

New User
KmayD6
0 Kudos

I have not run into any issue with my ipad2 and getting books from my nook accnt however I did discover a great app called OverDrive that has connected me to my towns Free Library. You must have a library card in order to sign in. Its so easy to use and the books are free! Good luck with your problem and sorry I couldn't help.

New User
redsla
0 Kudos

I have had exactly the same problem.  I have paid for these books and cannot read them in either the ipad2/ibooks or the Nook reader.   I have removed both and reinstalled both and it still won't work.   I do not like the nook reader and am very glad that I did not purchase one.  I have had nothing but trouble with it.   In addition, B&N do not care about their customers.  I will be giving my gift cards for books away as gifts to others because I don't care to use them further.  Not worth the hassle. 

New User
PSULionsFan
0 Kudos

I had a similar problem on my iPad (original) where I could not open a book. I had previously opend the book on another device, and after I went back to that device and read a few more pages and deleted a highlight, I was able to open the book again on the iPad. My guess is that the sync marker could not be understood by the iPad app and so it crashed. I had tried all kinds od things on the iPad before going back to the other device.
Correspondent
bayboatin
0 Kudos

I use the Nook App on my iPad 2 and haven't had any problems. In fact, I read on it more than my Nook right now.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 694 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: