Contributor
Bart001
0 Kudos

Problems with Android nook version 2.7

Thanks for the new version and enhancements to the nook app

I installed version 2.7 on my Galaxy Tab 10.1.  The first problem that I ran into was that I had to re-download all my content.  Not a big deal but it was annoying.  My biggest issue is viewing magazines; the text doesn't snap into sharp focus 90% of the time.  I have to physically touch the screen or double tap zoom to get the text to snap into focus.

Keep the enhancements coming,

Bart

Contributor
Bart001
0 Kudos

Re: Problems with Android nook version 2.7

Update:  Just updated to 2.7.1

I primarily use the nook reader in the portrait mode with my GT 10.1.  I was able to do some troubleshooting with 2.7.1 and discovered that If I tap on the left/right side of the page to change pages it snaps to focus almost immediately, but if I drag/swipe to change pages it doesn't snap to focus on the new page until I physically touch the new page, double-tap to zoom, or pinch zoom.

Reader 4
dfjacobs
0 Kudos

Asus EEE Transformer w/Honeycomb 3.2

One change nobody mentioned - the 2.7 app no longer looks in subdirectories of the MyDocuments folder for sideloaded content.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

New User
Tim_j_j
0 Kudos

I upgraded my Samsung Captivate Android version 2.2.1 to the new Nook reader last night. After I installed the upgrade, the application wanted me to sign into my account which I understand had to occur with this update. However, when I clicked the sign in button it tried to sign in and promptly blew up with an "internal error" pop up box. I tried again, same thing. I uninstalled the app then re-downloaded it, same thing. I turned the phone off and on multiple times. The same error occurs. I wish I had been smart enough to back up my previous version, but I wasn't. So now I guess I am stuck not being able to use my phone as an ereader until B&N fixes it, or In decide to convert all my epubs to mobi so I can install the Kindle for PC application. I have a Nook device which I was able to synch (At least by page number) with the same book on my phone. Hopefully this will be addressed soon. A little more Q/A may help guys

New User
Tim_j_j

UPDATE!!! I cleared the data from the application in Settings before I did my first sign in after reinstalling for the 5th time and it cam right up. It saw most of my previously side loaded books after that too. If I find anything else that may help with upgrading I will keep replying to this post.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I installed the new version on my Droid Incredible and now the only way to access the application is through the market.  The link within "All Apps" doesn't wrok and neither does the bookmark (yes I tried making a new one).  That's one heck of a handicap on the application.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I initially had the same problem with my Incredible, until I discovered that the new version created a new icon with a slightly different name - B&N Nook.

Frequent Contributor
AnacondaCamp
0 Kudos

Have 2.7 on my HTC Inspire. Experienced all the problems heard here and some of the solutions are working too.

DOES anyone know, how the heck to remove the "n" from the notification bar at the top. I've tried everything and it is still there after exiting the app, force stopping the app, etc?

keriflur
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

I initially had the same problem with my Incredible, until I discovered that the new version created a new icon with a slightly different name - B&N Nook.

I found that after I restarted the phone.  The new icon wasn't in my app list before the restart, and the change log included with the app in the market didn't mention needing to do a restart, just that I'd need to re-download all my books.

I also got ANOTHER random book sample with the new app (or maybe the fact that I updated the app was a coincidence).  That's 3 in a week's time.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

AnacondaCamp wrote:

Have 2.7 on my HTC Inspire. Experienced all the problems heard here and some of the solutions are working too.

DOES anyone know, how the heck to remove the "n" from the notification bar at the top. I've tried everything and it is still there after exiting the app, force stopping the app, etc?

Slide the notification bar up or down to open it then tap "Clear."  At least that's how it works on my Incredible.

New User
catcat1386
0 Kudos

I uninstalled and installed multiple times but still got the same interal error when trying to login my account. It was working before. Please help!

Contributor
AntIsNowHere
0 Kudos

I love the Android nook and used it often.  While travelling last week, the upgrade to version 2.7 came through.  With no warning, I lost all my books and settings.  I tried to download the book I was reading, and kept getting "cannot connect to B&N server" error.  After getting very frustated, I uninstalled and reinstalled; it's 2 days after the update, version 2.7.1 came through, and I could FINALLY open a book.  However, even on a setting of the smallest font and the smallest margin -- there is still is way too much whitespace -- and  it just is no longer worthwhile to use.  THis upgrade made a great app totally unusable -- along with causing several days frustration.  I have downloaded the Kindle app on my phone -- and will use this app for reading from my phone. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

AntIsNowHere wrote:

I love the Android nook and used it often.  While travelling last week, the upgrade to version 2.7 came through.  With no warning, I lost all my books and settings.  I tried to download the book I was reading, and kept getting "cannot connect to B&N server" error.  After getting very frustated, I uninstalled and reinstalled; it's 2 days after the update, version 2.7.1 came through, and I could FINALLY open a book.  However, even on a setting of the smallest font and the smallest margin -- there is still is way too much whitespace -- and  it just is no longer worthwhile to use.  THis upgrade made a great app totally unusable -- along with causing several days frustration.  I have downloaded the Kindle app on my phone -- and will use this app for reading from my phone. 

Have you tried more than one book in the nook app?  I've found that certain books won't let me make the margins small enough, but others work just fine.

New User
Ezio_007
0 Kudos

dfjacobs wrote:

Asus EEE Transformer w/Honeycomb 3.2

One change nobody mentioned - the 2.7 app no longer looks in subdirectories of the MyDocuments folder for sideloaded content.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Hello

Yes, I am having the exact same issue.  On 2.6, it worked just fine, on 2.7, it does not.  I have spent over 2 hours on the phone with techincal support, once waiting over a hour for 2nd level support to come on-line, never did, and then a second hour explaining how version numbers work on software updates to a second 1st level support person, who kept insisting that B&N had not updated the NOOK for Android app.  Now I have to call them back, and find out what the developer said in 24 hours.  Very strange way to run customer service.

New User
BobMarkus
0 Kudos

Downloaded Nook 2.7.2.12 on my epad Droid. When I try to open a book, get error message "The application B&N Nook (process bn.ereader) has stopped unexpectedly. Try again" I have removed and re-installed X 3. It was working fine until I did this update.

Firmwareversion: Android2.1 update1-20101030

Wish I could download an older version.

Frequent Contributor
Readingrat
0 Kudos

Are there any plans to come out with a "lite" app that would be more friendly to smart phones?  Or at least one that will release the phone's RAM when it exits (not just when the user logs out)?

I have a meager amount of RAM on my phone so sadly, I can't really use the nook app anymore after the upgrade because it remains in RAM even when I'm not reading.  Even when I tried only using the app when I didn't need to rely on my phone to function as anything else (like being a phone) and I still could only read for about a chapter before it everything locked up.  The only way I can get the app to not permenantly reside in RAM is to log out.  However then I can only log back in if wifi is available due to the amount of data that must be downloaded everytime I log in - which might be due to the fact that about every other time I log in I end up getting multiple copies of the books in my library.  At one point I had over 10 copies of each book in my library and over 30 copies of each book that was in the archive.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

AntIsNowHere wrote:

... However, even on a setting of the smallest font and the smallest margin -- there is still is way too much whitespace -- and  it just is no longer worthwhile to use...

I'm having the same problem -- the margins don't go away.  I'm using Aldiko as my default reader now, and just downloading via the Nook App and importing.

Contributor
AntIsNowHere
0 Kudos

"I'm using Aldiko as my default reader now, and just downloading via the Nook App and importing."

THANK YOU for that great tip!  I just tried it out.  It works great, and unlike the Nook, it produces a readable page on my G2 Android phone.  Now I can read my library on my smartphone again.

I still think Nook 2.6 was  a better app -- but it's now long gone.  My guess is B&N, with the 2.7 release is focusing their Android App for tablets -- and is abandoning the SmartPhone segment.  

New User
purple713
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!!!!  I was up half the night looking for a solution.  Best Regards.

New User
Jennie1042
0 Kudos

I'm getting the same error messages now.. did you get any help?  I tried calling cust. srvc.. they said it was my tablet, not their app but it worked perfectly fine before I tried downloading a new book.  They recommended a factory reboot... uhh I think NOT!  Then they said that some other app is more than likely 'blocking' the BN app.  Sorry, but I haven't downloaded anything new in the last 6 months other than their books.  It can't be my Galaxy tab when EVERYTHING else works perfect! 

NOT happy B&N!! Not happy at ALLLLL

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 497 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: