New User
Jdiane
0 Kudos

Problems with ereader on Iphone

I have loved my ereader on my Iphone but tonight it suddenly quit working.  It will open and try to load and then close again.  I'm not sure what to do with apps that don't work.  I have tried re-starting the phone and re-loading the app. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

Re: Problems with ereader on Iphone

Have you tried deleting the application from the iPhone, syncing, then going into the app store to re-add it? You would lose your settings and positions in books you are reading.

Contributor
Yalse
0 Kudos

Don't bother trying to reinstall it, it still wont work the last update completely broke it.  There has been no updates no answers the only word we have is hersay and that is it will be fixed this week.

Try the Kindle app from amazon heard much better things, i'm trying it out today.

Contributor
Yalse
0 Kudos

Fix the freaking Iphone App!

The crashing has been going on way to long there are posts all over the place and not one single word from Barnes and Noble.  Complete crap customer service

I'm talking with my money I will never buy another book from Barnes and Noble digital or other wise.  Kindle for Iphone here I come.  Now if i can only get the book I did purchase so i could at least read them.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Fix the freaking Iphone App!

B&N did not write this app.  They have to get the the Original app delveloper to fix it.  eReader.com had it developed for them.

Frequent Contributor
gdflood
0 Kudos

eReader.com is owned by B&N, isnt it?

New User
liz99
0 Kudos

Yes, eReader is owned by B&N.  And even if it weren't, the fact that B&N has their name on the app makes it their problem.

Hopefully everyone is contacting B&N and Apple about this.  So far I've only gotten generic responses, but hopefully soon I'll be able to read the books that I paid for.  (It never crashes on the free books.)

The word on the street is that it'll be fixed sometime this week, but I've not heard an official word yet.

Frequent Contributor
Hildur
0 Kudos

they really should have replied now, most of us are kind of getting pissed ....

I hate that I have about 48 books that I cant read now ... don't want to have to drag that damn palm out again ... loved the app until the upgrade ....

And I wont get a Nook until next year ....

Contributor
Yalse
0 Kudos

I have only bought 3 books so far read 1 and I just started another.  I will not purches another book now from them it's been almost 2 weeks with no word at all.  This is the last straw, i'm downloding Kindal app and will test that out.  Honestly they should of said somthing by now or better yet gave us the old app but no the new app is still on the store and still broken.  So any new people or people that update will get this broken app.  How crappy is that? 

I'm done, thank you Barnes and Noble oh and for good mesure I just talked may parents into buying the kindle for my sister (she wanted either and my parents asked me for advice) so good job on your customer service. 

Frequent Contributor
Hildur
0 Kudos

I still can not believe that they haven't come out with a public statement since its been more than 10 days now. They need to tell us something ... since the same app is crashing on all devices .... PC, MAC and all handheld ...

New User
liz99
0 Kudos

Here's the email I received today:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email regarding Barnes & Noble?s eReader and its
compatibility with the new iPhone 3.0 software.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay, we are working
diligently to finalize the update for this new application and expect to
deliver it to our customers very soon.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Tatiana
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble

She didn't address my question re: how they were going to make it up to me. 

Whatever. When the app is fixed I'll use it to access the cookbook (and a couple of other books) I purchased. In the near future, I'll be using the Kindle app for iphone and buying my ebooks through Amazon.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

SOLVED: Fix the freaking Iphone App!

SOLVED:  Get the latest download from iTunes!! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Yalse
0 Kudos

Re: SOLVED: Fix the freaking Iphone App!

Not solved the new App does nothing.  i got to read a few chapters however after leaving and comming back it's doing the same thing, it wont load you get the splash screen and then it drops still. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: NOT SOLVED: Fix the freaking Iphone App!

You are right, this problem is not solved.

However, if you LEAVE the book before closing the App, you will have no trouble getting back in.

It sucks to have to remeber this extra step.

As posted in another thread, if you iPhone App is crashing before you can get into the book do this:

Open the App,

Count the number of times the swirlie at the top goes around.

When the swirlie has gon around about 10 times, hit the sleep button on the top.

Wait two to three seconds, press home button, slide to unlock, (you should still be in the B@N app).

Wait till you can navigate,  exit the book.  Then carry on as before.

Contributor
CarriesMan
0 Kudos

I was so excited to see an update for the eReader.  Finally I would be able to read my $10 purchase.  But sadly NO!  When I enter the credit card number it was purchased with, to unlock the download, "CRASH", right back to the iPhone home screen.  This is becoming the ultimate in frustration.  I even went through the whole process of de-registering my device, deleting the app from the iPhone, rebooting said iPhone, and then installing fresh from the app store.  WTF!!:smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
gdflood
0 Kudos

I honestly never have Liked the B&N ereader. I always felt it was unfinished and to clunky, doesnt matter if on PC or iPod touch, when compared to Stanza. I was hoping that B&N would make it self more like Stanza, but seems like they are trying to make their ereader even worse over time instead of better.

I realy hope they fix this issue for those of you who rely on their ereader real soon. Id being going nuts if couldnt open my reader on my ipod when ever I wanted to.

I suppose they could be intentionaly screqing up the ereader program to try to force people to buy the Nook, but i cant imaging B&N being that stupid,  (Could see ATT trying pull that type of stunt but not B&N).

Hopefully B&N will relize its mistakes with the program soon and not only fix the issues but add more of the features that Stanza has, so I could switch to their program and start ordering ebooks from them. As stands right now will stick with Stanza and will eventualy by either Nook, Plastik, or Que once they resolve bugs and supply issues.

New User
EricaLove
0 Kudos

The worst part of this whole things is there's no way for us to retrieve books that we've spent actual money on. Purchasing the ebooks should allow us to read them on any reader, but no. They def. need to make it up to us and give us some better freebies besides the webster freakin dictionary. I want serious reperations for my victimization or else B&N is gonna feel the loss of my business.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Quote Ericalove:

"The worst part of this whole things is there's no way for us to retrieve books that we've spent actual money on. Purchasing the ebooks should allow us to read them on any reader, but no."

NO WAY ???

Oh, come on.

You can download the B@N Reader to your computer and read it there. 

Its free. It works.

New User
RowdyTexasRed
0 Kudos

Quote icebike:

"Oh, come on.

You can download the B@N Reader to your computer and read it there. 

Its free. It works."

Isn't the whole point to be able to bring the ebook with you where ever you want to go?  I sure as hell know it's not comfortable to read a whole book sitting at my desktop and I want something small enough that its comfortable instead of fighting with my laptop to get in a comfy position. If you PAY for something to work it should work.  End of discussion!  and I agree if the app doesn't work right then they should allow you to be able to import the book into a 3rd party reader.  They shouldn't care cause they are getting their money either way.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Quote Rowdy:

"Isn't the whole point to be able to bring the ebook with you where ever you want to go? "

Yes that is the whole point.

But you still can't say there is NO WAY to read what you bought.

If you are unwilling to use the work-around solution in post #14 above, then you still

have the option of using your compyter.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 195 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: