New User
pithed
0 Kudos

Re: Fix the freaking Iphone App!

After the latest update I am unable to use this so called work around - the app crashes immediately upon opening.  I would love to read my books that I purchased on the stanza app which does not crash at all but can not and I agree that sitting at your computer to read is not an acceptable solution for a broken iphoine app.  I am soooo angry and frustrated with this app and Barnes and Noble for ever releasing something so horribly broken.

Frequent Contributor
Hildur
0 Kudos

arrrrggg .... Ok after almost 24 hours of perfect work the app works for 10 minutes ..... so help ... this needs to be fixed AGAIN ...

Contributor
clownbox
0 Kudos

The reason you are seeing different results is due to the following:

ebooks in the *.pdb format work fine.  This is the legacy format for B&N.  However, ebooks in the *.epub format crash if the book has fully paginated AND if the iPhone app gets closed while you have a book open (which happens if you get a call).

You can tell what format you have by downloading your purchases to your desktop and then looking at the file suffix.

Ver 1.1.2 DOES NOT fix the problem.

B&N really screwed up this time - the week before Christmas.  And there development/QA team must not know what they're doing.  Even rudimentry testing should have picked this up.

Frequent Contributor
Hildur
0 Kudos

the thing that is worrying me is that if mine freezes up I cant reinstall it at this point and I'm going overseas for a couple of weeks ... and if I need to reinstall it I wont be able to download my books ... because of these ridiculous restrictions BN has put on the books ... even though they were bought in the states ...

the next update really needs to get here soon ...

Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

Really if you compare to Kindle us B&N customers are behind the curve on the iPhone. The Kindle app does just work, and I don't remember ever having to "activate" a book.

The program is really slow.  Just put your phone in landscape mode and WAIT... Takes me up to a minute on my 3G for it to repaginate the whole freaking book! It's a big disappointment and makes me wonder.  Sounds like some of the nook complaints at times eh? :manvery-happy:

On topic blog: http://nooktalk.net/news/slow-reading-on-b-n-ereader

Contributor
mamakeet
0 Kudos

Downloading the eReader to your computer might not fix the problem.  I downloaded the eReader to my MacBook, and I still can't read ten of the books I bought because it says the eBooks I bought from Barnes & Noble are in a format their eReader can't read, even one that says "a B & N eBook.".  It is giving me the same message about two free ebooks.  I feell sick about the money I've lost.  Over the years  I've spent thousands at the stores and at B & N online buying regular books.  If the Nook that is supposed to be coming in January can't read B & N ebooks either, they will miss me because I won't buy any more books, electronic or otherwise from them.

New User
dadnoa
0 Kudos

Re: NOT SOLVED: Fix the freaking Iphone App!

Unbelievable!  The non-intuitive solution of putting the iphone/ipod touch in sleep mode while the swirlie was going around actually worked.  I'm already overseas, so was dreading that my purchased books were going to be lost forever.  This has to be one of the dumbest programming tricks ever!  I hope BN gets it fixed very soon or all of my future e-book purchases will be at Amazon.

Frequent Contributor
CMegalodon
0 Kudos

Re: Problems with ereader on Iphone

I have the same problem.  When I try the delete and add I still get my same information.  I have books that are locked, whenever I add my unlock credit card number the app crashes.  It also does not sync with the Nook.  Any ideas?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: NOT SOLVED: Fix the freaking Iphone App!

Quote dadnoa:

"The non-intuitive solution of putting the iphone/ipod touch in sleep mode while the swirlie was going around actually worked."

Yup, I was glad to find that solution.  And if you EXIT the book before you quit the iPhone App you won't have the problem again. 

By the way, this isn't a programming trick.  Its a way to trick the app into not locking up on launch. 

Its really an Apple problem.  The iPhone assumes that if the application does not come ready in a certain amount of time that it has crashed. So it kills it.

It just so happens that it takes Longer than that "Certain amount of time" to both Launch the application and Process the encryption key.

When you Exit the book, the next Launch will finish easily within the alloted time before the iPhone kills the app.  Then when you re-enter the book, it can take as long as is necessary to process the encryption key.

Interrupting the procesess with the forced sleep and re-awaken, essentially tricks the iPhone OS into allowing it to run long enough to decrypt.

It will be interesting to see how the programmers sold this, since Apple will absolutely not cut them any slack on start time. They will probably have to launch, and then immediatly pop up a "please wait" screen or something.

New User
DKM08
0 Kudos

Any suggestions on a better dictionary than the one that came with the app for the iPhone?  Thanks for any help. -DK

New User
oceanbreeze45
0 Kudos

me too I have worked with this till Im sick of it

New User
BooksJerry
0 Kudos

On a different note from CMegalodon's post, I'm glad to see the unlock with credit card # is legit.  When I ran across it, I was a hesitant to enter the info, as it seemed like a possible ID theft deal.  Since we all have credit card info on file with B&N for e-purchases, couldn't the unlock code be something a lot less threatening?  For example, our sign-on pw for B&N.com??  Is there a place to provide B&N with direct feedback about an issue like this, or do we just hope they scan their posting spaces for the insight?  

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

BooksJerry wrote:

On a different note from CMegalodon's post, I'm glad to see the unlock with credit card # is legit.  When I ran across it, I was a hesitant to enter the info, as it seemed like a possible ID theft deal.  Since we all have credit card info on file with B&N for e-purchases, couldn't the unlock code be something a lot less threatening?  For example, our sign-on pw for B&N.com??  Is there a place to provide B&N with direct feedback about an issue like this, or do we just hope they scan their posting spaces for the insight?  

See, but this is precisely why they do it this way.  Once you enter your cc number into your iphone, it is NOT stored there - instead, a special hash code that is based on your cc number is stored.  If you could just use a password that you set up at B&N, they have no way of preventing you from giving that out to lots of people.  The very fact that they require you to use your cc number, which is a number that you would be incredibly hesitant to give out to anyone except perhaps a spouse or other VERY trusted individual means that you won't be handing out unlock codes for DRM-protected ebooks to every Tom, Dick and Harry that you meet on the internet.  
New User
Konoki
0 Kudos

I still have the original ereader.com app on my iphone and I can open books in that and read it just fine and i can leave the app open in the background for weeks w/o a problem. So saying that this is a iphone issue is just BS. B&N took a perfectly good app and managled it. Me and so many other people should not have to jump through hoops to be able to read content that we bought. Fix your chit! my wife is looking at a nook but there is no way I could feel confident in a peice of hardware if they cant get one little application working.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 610 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: