New User
SujiGott
0 Kudos

Re: Ereader problems with Mac Computer

Bernadette,

I completely sympathize with your situation because I'm having the same problems - I'll even go one further: Two weeks ago, I got the same reply from Michael saying that they would reach out to me if I gave them my contact info.  I gave them all the information that they asked for, and still haven't heard from them.  The ebook I purchased still doesn't open on my mac (which is only two months old).  Customer service was completely unhelpful and basically told me that I could not get a refund and that they had no idea why some ebooks weren't opening on some macbooks but that they would hopefully figure it out eventually.  This may  not be a universal problem for macbook owners but it certainly seems to be widespread, and Barnes and Noble's unwillingness to give refunds even though they have no idea how to solve the problem displays a complete lack of integrity.  I have been a loyal customer for years but their response in this issue has made me rethink my loyalty.  I'm switching over to Amazon and I will be complaining to the better business bureau about Barnes and Noble's practices in refusing to refund even when there is a defect that they clearly are unable to fix.  I encourage you all to do the same.

Sujana

Frequent Contributor
annathepiper
0 Kudos

Sujana, for what it's worth, I did actually get a refund about the book I've got that's broken, as I mentioned in another thread. The trick seemed to be pinging customer service a couple of times about it.

Of course, the thing I really wanted was less "refund" and more "fixing the book". :smileywink:

It seriously sounds like a DRM wrapping problem to me, based on what I've observed of the behavior (see my post in the "Purchased book is blank" thread, I'm a QA engineer in my day job so I was trying to attack this with my "testing software" hat on). I'd be REAL interested to see whether all of the affected books are coming from the same publisher or not.

In fact, I'll spin off a new thread asking that very question. Maybe if we can get coherent data about this problem, Michael or whatever other board admin can take that to B&N's technical people to get this addressed.

Anna

Contributor
Bedens
0 Kudos

Sujana,

I appreciate your post.

If I had purchased a physical book from a store and went back in with my receipt (within the accepted time frame) and asked for a refund I would get it, so why not in this case? I know $7 is not a fortune but it's the principal of the thing; I paid for an item and did not get it.

I agree with you about this incident coloring the way you feel about Barnes and Noble. They sent me a 20% off coupon over the July Fourth holiday and I didn't even use it, which is a first for me as I usually never let a coupon go by without using it to buy something.

Thanks again for your message.

Bernadette

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Well, after weeks/months of not encountering this problem and assuming y'all were doing something wrong, it finally happened to me.

I went through my normal, periodic, download my new ebooks to my computer to back them up (and opening them all so that they get "unlocked"), and EVERY book I downloaded today now has this problem.

I even deleted those books and tried copying them off of my nook instead, to see if the difference in files made a difference.  No such luck.  Crash every time, and when it did open, nothing but the "page 0" phenomenon.  

For reference, this happened with EVERY single one of the 21 "all-americana" books that were available for free over the July 4th weekend.  In addition to my copy of The Tourist which I bought the other day.

Given that this occurred, out of the blue (no new software updates since the last time I did this) I'm now of the opinion that it has nothing to do with any particular book, but perhaps B&N has changed the way it encodes the .epub files generally that is causing the problem.  (In the past, I used to always copy from my nook, because if I downloaded from the website, I'd get .pdb's).  

Contributor
dafaolta
0 Kudos

The best Mac compatible reader I've ever had is Stanza from Lexcycle.com. I use it on my iPod Touch, in addition Fictionwise eReader and Kindle Reader for iPod. Fictionwise has instructions on how to load other files into their interface from your desktop.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but I hope so.

New User
mollyr
0 Kudos

eReader crashes

My eReader just quit working. It crashes when I try to start it. I've rebooted, ... Finally uninstalled and reinstalled it. Same problem. I have all these eBooks but can't open them because of mystery issues with the eReader.

New User
KimH70
0 Kudos

Nice, I see that my little problem is a KNOWN issue. Just downloaded B&N eReader to try some of their 'free eBooks' and of the 7 I tried, I was able to open two of them. One other does open but shows one blank page. The rest will not let me open using the same username and 'code' I used with the others... Do I just uninstall and try another reader???

New User
susanaFL
0 Kudos

Add one more to the frustrated MAC and eBook!  I could get it to work intermittently with a little archiving, moving back to library, deleting the eReader.  UNCLE!  What I don't get is why not remove the reader until it works.....

m-p
New User
m-p
0 Kudos

More clues: ereader version 1.0 downloaded on another Mac in February will read the book I purchased at that time, but it will not read the book I just purchased today, July 25.  The version 1.1 ereader I downloaded today will not read either of my two purchased books, crashing every time I try. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

Update

Please re-download the ebook(s) from your Mac and let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.  A fix has been implemented.

NOTE:  A future Mac client will support ePubs.

Reader 4
Morgme
0 Kudos

Add me to the list of Mac owners (iMac running OS 10.6.4) having a problem with the latest version of the Ereader.  I tried the classic, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and even after unlocking the book after the prompt (having to use a credit card number for this instead of a password makes my skin crawl! :smileymad:), the book file was not recognized.  I could, however, open a couple of older free books I had on my computer.  Makes me wonder if the Ereader is recognizing the epub format, even though it states the newer version does.  Fortunately, I also own a Nook, so I could download and read it there with no problems,.  

New User
ormeo
0 Kudos

Re: Mac users with broken ebooks roll call

I did re-download the software. It worked this time.  It was only a book for me ( The Call of The Wild) and i can speak for that only. I hope it will work for all.  Keep up with it! Thank`s!

New User
kgeorgeNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Michael-V, you state that: "NOTE:  A future Mac client will support ePubs."

It is now over half a year later, and epub is still not recognized on the Mac.

I found this forum because I am having the same problem.  I just have to doubt the sincerity of your statement if over 7 months later, there has been no addressing of this problem.

Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

@ Michael V: Is the fix why all my epubs but a very few are now pdb files on my Mac? Just wondering why they all changed. Thanks. 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Reader 2
ruby_mac
0 Kudos

Is there any solution to this problem?

Mac osX snow leopard, just downloaded book that is blank.

Reader 2
ruby_mac
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book is blank!

Solution. Get rid of ereader app and download nookstudy app.

New User
Cuanam
0 Kudos

I'm not a mac user and I know this thread is OLD.. but I'm having the same problem now on Windows 7.. My nook for pc app won't sync, and won't open ANY epub files at all.. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times... This is pretty much why I don't deal with B&N unless I absolutely HAVE to.. Customer service was a joke they were clueless as to why it's not only not opening B&N books, but not opening epubs from smashwords either which are guaranteed to work on everything.. and yes a friend of mine tested the main epub in question and it worked just fine on her nook and on her app.. it's just mine it's not working on.. My nook has never asked me for credit card info and it used to work just fine... until I updated it and now it seems I'm not only screwed out of the app I'm screwed out of the money B&N refuses to refund for the books I purchased that my app refuses to open

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

Cuanam,

For the folks here to be able to assist you, we need more info than I am running Win7.  You don't state if you were able to open said books, if you have updated to the most recent version of the app.  How much RAM you have, how much space you have on your HD, what other apps you might have open when you attempt to use the NOOK app.

You don't state what error messages you are getting when you attempt to open the books, do they download and then not open, do they refuse to download?

I have the most recent version (released ~45 days ago) and am having no issues with BN book, Smashwords books, homemade ePUB books or PDF files.

What books are you having issues with?  Are they BN or from elsewhere?

Your app must have a CC number in it to be able to assign DRM to your book, this is called Social DRM because you are not very likely to give out your CC number to someone so that they can read your book.  Your CC number is not included in the MetaData for the book, it is used to trigger an algorythm to create the DRM for your book.

Send me a Private Message and I will work with you.

Have you tried using NOOK Study instead of NOOK for PC?

Aloha,

Davan

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 271 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: