Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: eBook Downnload is Blank (with useful troubleshooting info)

@All,

We are working on this and expect a fix soon.  We appreciate your patience.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Update

Please re-download the ebook(s) from your Mac and let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.  A fix has been implemented.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Ok. First report.

I haven't downloaded all 50 or so books I was having the issue with (simply because it would take too long), but I did test it out with two books that definitely experienced the problem - Babbitt and Huckleberry Finn.

When I download them now directly from the B&N website, they are downloading as .pdb, and are opening fine in the desktop reader for mac.  

However, if I unarchive, load them onto my nook and copy them from there, they are still in epub and still have the same problem.  

While I generally prefer my books in epub, at least this gives us a way to have some sort of backup until the problem is fixed "for real".

At this point, I'm assuming there's something wrong with the epub formatting that's not playing nice with the B&N desktop ereader for mac.  Older epubs that I still have backups for (before the problem manifested itself) seem to work just fine.  

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

NOOK downloads will be ePub when ePub is available.

Browser downloads from a Mac will be PDB.

Recommendation is to re-download from the browser onto your Mac.

very-simple
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

NOOK downloads will be ePub when ePub is available.

Browser downloads from a Mac will be PDB.

Recommendation is to re-download from the browser onto your Mac.

That's fine, but it's really a workaround rather than a fix at this point - the B&N ereader for mac still can't read currently downloaded .epubs, even though it can read older .epubs just fine, and is advertised as being .epub compatible.  You still haven't fixed whatever it is you did to the .epub files that creates the underlying problem.

Contributor
Bedens
0 Kudos

Ereader problems with Mac Computer

Yesterday I downloaded the BN ereader for Mac computers ( mine is a Mac OS X Snow Leopard purchased just a few months ago) and had no problem whatsoever. Then I purchased an ebook but could never get it to open. I got as far as the page where I had to put in my full name and my entire credit card number and then I received a message stating that the ereader had "quit." I came on here and read quite a few posts about possible solutions, I even downloaded another version of the ereader from a recommended site, but nothing worked. And I also cleaned out my cache and deleted and reloaded the ereaders and came here and redownloaded the book. It still would not work.

I've written to BN and I hope they will refund the price I paid for the ebook. I certainly wish they'd print some sort of disclaimer for Mac users BEFORE we make these ebook puchases.

Bernadette

PS. I was actually considering purchasing a Nook, but if I can't even get the free Ereader to work....:smileywink:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Ereader problems with Mac Computer

[ Edited ]

@Bedens,

Can you PM me the eBook, your account email and a contact phone number so that we can reach out to you....?

Please reference this post (via link) in your PM.

Thanks!

New User
domina7
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem, more or less, as @Bedens. Using B&N eReader on my Macbook 10.5, I have successfully downloaded and read other books from B&N.

The latest book I downloaded - every time I try to open it, eReader either crashes altogether, or I get the credit card entry screen. Once I've entered my info, I get a blank page zero, and there's nothing in the book.

I called customer service and all they said was, it's a known issue with Macs and B&N eReader but we don't know how long it will take to fix. Just keep trying to open the file and someday it might work.

That doesn't sound right to me... I either want a refund or the book to be readable. :smileysad:

Contributor
Cody_Pendent
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PS. I was actually considering purchasing a Nook, but if I can't even get the free Ereader to work....:smileywink:

Nooooo! If you think you're frustrated now, wait 'til you blow $200 on a nook and still can't open your books!

For the kinds of books I read, the best option is getting PDFs and reading them in Preview on my MacBook Pro. I'm still not happy with the search utility, but it's way better than the B&N reader and the nook. It also lets you copy text from most PDFs, and it's very fast compared to the nook. Some of my books take five minutes to open, and if the nook's cache gets corrupted I have to delete everything, reset it and reload everything, which obliterates all the bookmarks, furthest read, etc. for everything.

New User
RR618
0 Kudos

Me too for everything I've read in this discussion.  I took my nook back to Barnes & Noble and got a refund.  They said this is the first nook refund they've had because of problems with a Mac.  I should have asked how many times they've heard these same frustrating comments.

Is there any ereader program that works on a Mac?  Do any of the other ereaders work better with a Mac - Kindle, Sony, etc?

I agree with one of the other discussion posters - B&N should be up front with the Mac problems and not pretend it's a surprise every time someone brings them up. 

Rici

very-simple
0 Kudos

OK people.

The free desktop ereader and the nook have NOTHING to do with one another, other than the fact that both are produced by B&N and both read ebooks.  

I have used a nook successfully with my imac since I got it in December.  While there are a few things, like ADE, that require slightly different processes/steps to use on a mac than on a windows computer, they all work perfectly fine (not better, not worse, just different).  

(I also haven't had a problem with the desktop ereader, but I admit to not using it very much in the first place, as I don't like to read books on the computer.  I generally download all of my purchased books to back them up on my computer, and just use the ereader program to unlock them and make sure they're the correct files.  But to date, it's worked fine.  But your experience with the desktop ereader has absolutely ZERO correlation to how a mac will work with the nook directly.)

New User
Karkina
0 Kudos

@RR618

I don't know about the actual kindle or sony reader. But I have both of their ereaders on my macbook pro and haven't had any problems. I think I like the kindle ereader's layout a bit more.

I too got only a page 0 when i tried via the B&N ereader, but when i used the same account on my windows it worked fine (though the layout was a bit shabby) So yeah, they should either figure out the issue quick, or not let Mac people download the program until they get the time to fix it.

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

RR618 wrote:

Me too for everything I've read in this discussion.  I took my nook back to Barnes & Noble and got a refund.  They said this is the first nook refund they've had because of problems with a Mac.  I should have asked how many times they've heard these same frustrating comments.

Is there any ereader program that works on a Mac?  Do any of the other ereaders work better with a Mac - Kindle, Sony, etc?

I agree with one of the other discussion posters - B&N should be up front with the Mac problems and not pretend it's a surprise every time someone brings them up. 

Rici

I have a nook that works with no issues with my Macs. I also have (and use) the eReader ebook reader, the Kindle reader, the Barnes&Noble reader, Adobe Digital Editions reader, the Sony reader, and the Kobo reader. Over the years of reading ebooks I've had a few problems, but with basic troubleshooting I've been able to get them worked out. While I'm not downplaying the problems other people have, it's important to remember that the problems are NOT universal. Yes, people are having problems with the B&N reader on their Macs, but there are also people who are NOT having problems. I do think that B&N should reconsider their refund policy. I've had problems with ebooks from both eReader.com and Fictionwise and both companies have been very good about refunding my money when the book file is defective. 

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Contributor
Bedens
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Michael,

Thank you very much for your response to my post but I just don't have the time to spend on a phone call at this time trying to work this problem out.

I received a message from Customer Service telling me to call them, and there was no offer to refund the purchase price of the book I bought. The e-book I purchased was only a $7 paperback so I guess I will just have to eat this amount and chalk it up to experience.

I have sinced downloaded Amazon's "Kindle for Mac" and had no problems whatsoever. I'm not normally a big fan of Amazon.com, but they even allowed me to order a sample of a book first, before I purchased the entire item, so I could make sure the download would work. It would be nice if BN instituted the same policy at some point in the future.

Thank you again,

Bernadette

New User
-reader_grl-
0 Kudos

I guess I'm not the only one having problems with Ereader for Mac. It is really frustrating that you can not even access the book.

New User
ekt3k5
0 Kudos

I also agree with all of the above problems.  Won't work on my brand new mac, redownloaded the book and the ereader several times, which didn't work.  Keeps showing up as 0 pages.  When I emailed customer service, I got an insane run around that, 10 days later, had them telling me their best solution was for me to look over the Troubleshooting faqs again.  I really enjoyed using the ereader with my pc and have always loved B&N, but the troubles with the mac coupled with what was perhaps the worst customer service I've experienced in quite some time leaves me thinking its time to move over to Amazon.

Reader 2
Strides

[ Edited ]

@bedens

From what I can gather from the interaction here is that Michael is attempting to help you figure the problem out through email with a phone number as a backup, not specifically over the phone. I'm sorry that you're having some issues with the ereader on your mac, but I'm thinking that perhaps a little tinkering here and there can get the issue all fixed... Also, you may not have noticed this but, you can download free samples of the eBooks before you actually purchase the book itself here on B&N.com. There's a button under the "BUY NOW" button that says "Get Free Sample;" just a suggestion!

@very_simple and katworley

I agree with you both! I have a mac and I've been using the B&N ereader app as well as the Adobe Digital Editions app for over a year and I have never had a problem with either.  My mac's interface with my nook, which I've had since February, has been flawless! I expected to have a few issues with it because it or to at least have to call customer service a few times about sideloading but the process was so easy to figure out on my own as soon as I read the User Guide. I clapped like a child when my nook simply popped up on my Digital Editions sidebar so I could sideload from there!

@everyone else having trouble with the mac ereader app

If you are having issues with the app itself, with particular books not opening, with refunds, or anything else, it is simply a matter of asking for help whether that means calling the hotline, contacting an admin over the forums, or even just getting up and walking into your local B&N and asking a bookseller. Sometimes yes, you might catch someone on a bad day and get frustrating customer service, that happens, but that's no reason to just give up. If you are trying to get heard, not talking will not get you anywhere. Trying a little harder, spending those extra few seconds and staying calm while you're talking to someone in a position to help you can really go a long way to getting what you want.

@ekt3k5

The biggest benefit to this application, that something like the Amazon app won't have, is that you can go into a store and ask someone your question and a bookseller can help you more than you'd expect. It's simply a matter of taking that proactive action, as as I said before, staying calm. No one wants to go above and beyond for someone who's shouting at them.

@Cody_pendant

Of course the preview feature on your MacBook Pro is going to be faster than a nook, the processors are two completely different types and sizes.  If you're looking for something that's going to work as fast as a normal sized computer, then by all means do, go and get an ipad, and enjoy it. Just remember that nothing this small is going to work as fast as a normal sized computer processor unless you're willing to pay exorbitant fees for technology that at this point really only exists in secret government agencies and science fiction novels and movies.

@everyone

As I said, the ereader works. If you're having problems with the ereader, then do something. Ask someone who can help you to do something about it. Nook works too. If you're having issues with yours it's as simple as walking into Barnes and Nobles and asking the bookseller at the nook desk to help you. If a specific book won't open, call the hotline, the techs can address the issue directly by remote and hard-reset your nook. You don't lose any of your eBooks and you might learn something new! Sometimes it's as simple as powering any kind device (ereaders, mp3 players, computers, etc.) all the way off then back on again. You never know until you ask someone who knows what they're doing with both the ereader and nook. Obviously, the mac ereader is not a versatile as the PC app, but - and feel free to call me an optimist - but if new updates for nook come down every two months or so, then who knows what B&N has got in store for the mac app!

It can't hurt to be a little more proactive in your search for answers.

Happy reading! :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
T-Mo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm also having some issues with my mac eReader. Like others, I downloaded a couple of books but when I put in my info to unlock the books the application crashes. I am able to open and read these books on my iTouch but not on my MacBook. I'm not looking to give up on the application entirely as I've really enjoyed my eReader as well as using the app on my iTouch. If someone can help me I'd really appreciate it. 

Reader
Illusive
0 Kudos

I downloaded the ereader this week and I did not have any problems until I updated my computer with the latest itunes etc. update.  It was working brilliantly until I restarted my computer to install the updates.  I am beginning to feel that this is an issue that should be taken up with Apple not B&N, as one of the new updates conflicts with the ereader.

Contributor
Bedens
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Strides, thank you for pointing out to me that a sample of the ebook I ordered was available. I could have saved myself $7.27.

Regarding my response to Michael? Well, here is what he said to me:

"@Bedens,

Can you PM me the eBook, your account email and a contact phone number so that we can reach out to you....?"

Now how do you infer from that statement that he wanted my phone number only as a backup? I don't mean any offense, but the tone of your message was extremely patronizing. I spent over three hours "tinkering", as you call it, on my computer trying to get the Ereader to work and frankly, that is about all the time I have to waste on being "proactive" as you call it. The Kindle for Mac that I downloaded from Amazon works beautifully and I am very satisfied with it.

I love Barnes and Noble as a general rule, they are a very classy outfit and I buy a lot from them. However, in this particular matter, I found them lacking. Now whether it is a problem on THEIR end, or MY end, or something in the cosmic forces, I have no idea. I only know that the Ereader available here does NOT work with my computer. If it works for you, great!

Bernadette

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 299 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: