Frequent Contributor
cubano100pct

Support for Shelves in all NOOK Apps

I have over 300 books and is very cumbersome to assign books to a shelf on the Nook. I need a quicker and better way to manage the Shelves on my Computer. Add Shelf support to all the NOOK Apps and sync the shelves between the NOOK and NOOK Apps.

Correspondent
vvlovesu

Re: Support for Shelves in all NOOK Apps

I agree I'd really like to have shelves on my Nook PC app. My books are adding up quickly and I don't want to have to sort through the masses when I purchase my NC (with all the craziness going on with B&N I've postponed buying). Also I would like to have it where you can transfer all notes, highlights, bookmarks, and settings onto the NC from all Nook apps. I know these things have been stated before, but they would make great updates.

Reading isn't a "hobby". It's a lifestyle.
New User
johnh10
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook, and ordering shelves on my PC was among my first things to search for. Using the Nook to create shelves and assign books 1 by 1 is a bit tedious.

Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA
0 Kudos

This is a high priority for me also.

I have over 300 books.

Shelves are very handy.

Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

My employer just provided me with an ipad and I was disapointed that the NOOK app didn't have shelves like my e-ink NOOK.

New User
Greg-W-Steinacker
0 Kudos

Has anyone heard whether or not this feature is/had going to be implemented?

Greg

New User
paGA
0 Kudos

I need this feature in nook for PC and nook study too.

I feel like punished to buy so many books...

Contributor
melichte
0 Kudos

From the dates on these posts - apparently this isn't going to happen.  Without some why of sorting and categorizing books, the app is really useless...

Frequent Contributor
luisferfranco
0 Kudos

I guess that's one of the many many things that will never happen

Reader 2
oldhipppiePA
0 Kudos

I agree!

And now I feel like a defector of sorts ... I've long touted the advantages of Nook over brand A stuff. And have not used them for anything.

Yesterday I bought a Pearls Before Swine book, which didn't show well on my V1 Nook. So I came out here to the PC to see it.

Got bogged down by the lack of shelves. Went to various googles and saw there doesn't seem to be any interest in ever doing it. Went to brand A. See that they have "collections" on their PC app.

Easy Easy Easy

Downloaded it. Bought and downloaded PBS book and calendar. Click to create collection. Right click on book to add to collection.

Ulp.

C'mon B&N ... take a look at the competition and do them one better!!!

I had looked at their PC app before and discounted it because I didn't like the "look" of it. But this collections/shelves thing is tempting.

Reader
LakeWind
0 Kudos

I agree! I just purchased an android tablet and would really like to be able to organize my nookbooks in shelves. It's really difficult scrolling through hundreds of books on the tablet to find what I'm looking for. Please B&N... get this done. Thanks!

Reader
Thorn73
0 Kudos

Please please please add shelves or a way to organize your books to the ipad/iphone app. It is rediculous to sort through everything when you have a bunch of books. This is functionality that should have been in the app from the beginning and it is enough to make me look elsewhere for a reading app if it doesnt get fixed.

Thank you

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is probably the single most requested feature for the reader app on the dedicated NOOK devices as well. See, for example, this Shelf Management Feature Request thread in the NST Ideas & Suggestions forum, which has many good ideas for making it even better than Brand A.

I hope that B&N is paying attention. It's extremely hard to tell when all we get in between surprise firmware releases is crickets. (I don't know about the rest of you, but I get awful tired of listening to them durn crickets.)

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
New User
cajflem
0 Kudos

I totally agree.  A nook is, first and foremost, an e-reader - meaning that managing books, lots of books, should be a najor focus for the maker of the device.  Granted that the nook is marginally better than the toy promulgated by the other vendor.  However, it is a far cry from the book/magazine management tool it should have/be.

PLEASE, B&N, hear us - addresss this issue!!!  We need shelf management, shelves within shelves within bookcases.  We need better indexing and better searching.  We need to be able to justify spending money on books that we can find, either to read again or to use for reference, or both.

Sincerely submitted.

New User
nSmyrnos
0 Kudos

This is one of the worst issues with the nook device and apps.  The Shelf support on the nook Color is pretty lacking to begin with, to be honest.  No ability to group books by series or other metadata, and the feature isn't exposed for 3rd party apps like Calibre to integrate with.

The Sony e-ink devices are much better in this area and would be a good place to get inspiration from. They have a Collections feature and Calibre can create them based on book series, etc.

Contributor
Sharksweetie
0 Kudos

it's almost as if the more books we add, the more problematic using the NOOK app is for us.  since this feature (bookselves, libraries, collections) is available on other apps, it shouldn't take an Einstein to add it to the NOOK apps!  Please, please, please!

"A good book is a friend for life."
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I have the Kindle app on my iPadand I see know way to add  or set my books in collections, not that I have all that many books since I mostly use it for free books.  Am I missing something?  I also can't see any way tochange fonts in any of the Kindle Apps.

Contributor
Sharksweetie
0 Kudos

I know iBooks has that feature since I use it for my .pdfs. I can put them in individual "collections" if I wish.
"A good book is a friend for life."
New User
kismirrorimage

... I have 1300 books and my first gen nook just died... i HAD them all organized on shelves, but now they're all jumbled again. 2 years of OCD organization gone with no way of getting it back... fml

Correspondent
ps56k

yeah - it seems like the whole concept of tagging and organizing books within the Nook app is a missing link....    seems like it would be right there as a basic goal and objective for handling content.

BTW - why are you asking about how to handle the Kindle in this forum  ?

I'm running a Nook Color with the N2A SDcard -

and have both the Nook app and the Kindle app installed.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 548 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: