Contributor
fictionfandd
0 Kudos

Sync between ereaders?

This may have been answered elsewhere, so apologies if it has. I am wondering if the BN ereader for Mac, and ereader for iPhone sync to the page you are reading, bookmarks, notes, etc? As well, will the nook sync between them all?

thanks

Inspired Contributor
WCK123
0 Kudos

Re: Sync between ereaders?

I'd love to know the answer to that as well.  I don't think they will - or at least I haven't been able to figure out how to sync between my mac and my iphone, but maybe the nook will be able to bridge them?  Doubtful, but figure it's worth asking.

www.twodadsonegirl.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Thanks for your inquiry fictionfandd.

eBooks purchased from BN.com will sync between your nook and other reading devices with the Barnes & Noble eReader app, so you always return to the last page you read. 

At this time, bookmarks and notes do not sync between devices.

Contributor
BHall
0 Kudos

How do you sync?   I have a Nook, an iPod Touch & also have the Desktop Reader installed on my PC & I can't determine how to make any of them sync to the last page read. 

Thanks for your advice.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

If you have multiple devices under the same account, the eReader should automatically bring you to the last page you read.  This will only work for eBooks purchased at Barnes & Noble. 

New User
Ruchira
0 Kudos

Well, my nook arrived yesterday.  In the meantime I had started reading several e-books on the Mac using the Barnes & Noble e-Reader.  I have connected the nook to this Mac with the USB cable, then ejected it in order to use the nook.  But the "Furthest Read Point" in the e-books I started reading is still only the page I navigated on the nook itself, not the Furthest Read Point in the e-Reader.  Is there something else I need to do to sync the nook?

Thanks,

--Ruchira

Contributor
Chodrak
0 Kudos

I don't believe the sync feature is working at all at this point.  I have a nook and reader on a mac, iphone, and pc and nothing syncs.  I recall reading in a David Pogue NYT piece that this feature isn't coming until the new year.  I would love for this to be working.

Inspired Contributor
WCK123
0 Kudos

I agree.  I don't think it's working at all. It never synced between my iPhone and Mac, and now with the nook they aren't synced either.  All of the books I'm referring to were purchased on B&N.

www.twodadsonegirl.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

I've seen similar complaints here about it not working right.

Nooktalk (forums)

For me this is a key feature.  I can't be trying to figure out where i read it last.  This does work flawlessly on kindle according to kindle-lovers.

Frequent Contributor
kylejohnson
0 Kudos

According to the Nook manual, the book itself is synced between devices, but not your location in the book.  Either someone at B&N knows something new, or they are giving out bad information here.

jrp
Contributor
jrp
0 Kudos

An ebook, The Pursuit of Honor, I purchased using my nook was downloaded to my Iphone as well, but not bookmarks where I stop reading on the nook. And, the total number of pages of the book is different on the nook vs Iphone. I can't be sure, but I think the B&N store rep I spoke to Friday night, who told me of the upcoming software update, said this is one of the issues to be addressed by it. As others have said, this is a brand new fairly sophisticated electronic device and there are bound to be bugs in it on initial release. Many reviewers have said, and I agree, that the nook has tremendous potential. I think once everything settles down with software updates this will be the ereader that surpasses all others, except perhaps the rumored apple device that is supposed to be out next spring. In the meantime, the nook functions very well for me performing its primary purpose, that of giving the reader a tremendous reading experience.

Happy Holidays to all!

New User
droo
0 Kudos

As of today, Feb 8, 2010, this feature is still not working as far as I can see. I have the same ebook on my Mac and my iPod, but it doesn't sync.

I would love to hear about it if anyone knows different.

This is a serious thing for B&N. If this isn't fixed, my next ebook won't be from B&N. And that is sad. The competition needs some competition.

Frequent Contributor
LarryGanz
0 Kudos

I thought this would be fixed by SW ver 1.2 but it isn't.  I am not in airplane mode, so radio is on, and when I tell nook to "go to the furthest read point" it doesn't sync to where I was reading in bed in the dark with my iPhone last night.  The two are both on the air but don't communicate.

I read with my iPhone at night in a dark bedroom so I don't disturb my wife with a book light.  Then for daytime reading I have to find my spot in the nook, but the page numbers in the nook are "absolute" while the page number in the iPhone app are "reletive", so I can't just go to the same page number.  

I started to use division to calculate the % through the book that I was with the iPhone, and then find the approximate page I would be on on the nook, but since we can only jump to chapters or bookmarks, I can't go to the estimated page without having to page forward or back from a chapter start or end.

This is very frustrating to say the least.

Contributor
Scubanights
0 Kudos

I completely agree that this needs to be fixed, and is silly that it hasn't been addressed yet.

I have had a Kindle 1 and 2, a Sony 505/600/700.  I think I have finally settled on the nook, but this is the one frustrating thing for me.  I, too, read with my iPhone at night so I don't bother my husband, but use the nook during the day.  I would love for them to sync.  This is a great feature of the Kindle, and all wireless readers should do this.  

Can someone from B&N comment on this issue?

Frequent Contributor
LarryGanz
0 Kudos

Re: Sync last page read between ereaders?

I really don't understand why syncing page location and bookmarks or notes between different devices hasn't been fixed yet.  

I suppose it will become moot point if my wife ever starts taking her nook to work with her, because then I'll be using the iPhone 24/7 for eBooks, instead of only using iPhone in bed at night when she is asleep.  The nook or iPhone fits in my polar fleece jacket pocket for taking with me during the day, when she isn't using it at work, but something like an iPad wont fit and would stay at home if I got one.

But I guess even if I am using an iPhone for B&N eBooks while I am out and about, and an iPad for reading at home that the B&N eBook reader for other devices still needs to be able to sync last page read, or bookmarks between devices, including between Mac and PC.

New User
0ULOVEIT2
0 Kudos

I too would love the sync feature to work as I read books on my Mac Powerbook and my iPhone. To resolve the "relative" paging issues with the iPhone, I am using the search feature in both readers to find a particular scene in the book or novel.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Don't know about the others but sync for B&N ebooks does now work between the PC and Nook versions.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

TNS wrote:

Don't know about the others but sync for B&N ebooks does now work between the PC and Nook versions.

For you maybe, not for me.  I have gotten it work once, from PC to nook and that required my returning to the library on the pc version, syncing with the server and then opening the book on the nook for the first time.  After that it never worked again, in either direction..

The Kindle software (on my PC and iPod) syncs automatically without any prompting on my part, this is what I expect from B&N. Hopefully, this will be accomplished in the next update.

Contributor
Alysson
0 Kudos

eBooks purchased from BN.com will sync between your nook and other reading devices with the Barnes & Noble eReader app, so you always return to the last page you read. 

At this time, bookmarks and notes do not sync between devices.

I have an email from B&N that says that "furtherest page read" does not sync between the Nook & iPhone B&N ereader.  I sent an email because I couldn't get it to work.  If it is possible, what so I need to do.

(P.S. I am using the same account-purchased books show up, pages read are just not in sync)

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

Syncing between devices has never worked as originally advertised.  At this point it seems like this is more of a "stake-in-the-ground" for B&N.

I expect that they will get to this feature eventually since this has been a standard feature with the Kindle for quite a while now.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing an official bug triage list and missing feature triage list for each flavor of the eReader software for the current version as well as for the current version of the nook.

This would go a long way for many of us to not post the same question, etc. in various threads hoping others have either a workaround or at the very least validate the bug.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 723 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: