Reader 2
rlyell
0 Kudos

Syncing across devices

I have read many postings on this and other sites, and am still having problems with syncing across devices. Latest upgrades installed as of 12/3/2010. Using Nook/Nook for PC (on 2 separate computers)/Nook for Android (on Droid 2). Settings for automatic save to B&N site 'on'. Using wi-fi for Droid and Nook. Nook for PC will not even sync to separate computers. Library shows up, but currently I have 4 different 'last page read' settings. If I am expecting too much, I am OK with that. I just want to know so I will quit playing with it.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Re: Syncing across devices

Same here. I have the PC software installed on two Win 7 PCs, and last-read syncing is entirely inconsistent. My notebook will pick up the last page read on my Nook classic, but not vice versa. My desktop doesn't pick up the last page read from anything.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@rlyell and @wynand32,

Can you give me specific titles where synching is inconsistent?

Reader 2
rlyell
0 Kudos

The Confession by John Grisham

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

FYI on synching.

Syncing happens on a schedule and users should:

Sync the app when they are done using it

Close the app before opening on another computer/app

Get a fresh sync when they start on a new computer/app

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

FYI on synching.

Syncing happens on a schedule and users should:

Sync the app when they are done using it

Close the app before opening on another computer/app

Get a fresh sync when they start on a new computer/app

I guess I am not getting it... when I open the Nook for PC, there is no "Sync Now" button or anything... nor can I find a "Sync Now" on my Nook. When syncing across devices was announced, I figured all I'd have to do was set my "remember last page on BN.com" to on, keep my WiFi on and voila, syncing is active. Apparently not... 

So how do you "get a fresh sync" when you start on a new computer/app?

Personally most interested in sync between Nook for PC (on several machines in different locations) and my Nook...

Thanks!

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

BelgianAlien wrote:

I guess I am not getting it... when I open the Nook for PC, there is no "Sync Now" button or anything... nor can I find a "Sync Now" on my Nook. When syncing across devices was announced, I figured all I'd have to do was set my "remember last page on BN.com" to on, keep my WiFi on and voila, syncing is active. Apparently not... 

So how do you "get a fresh sync" when you start on a new computer/app?

Personally most interested in sync between Nook for PC (on several machines in different locations) and my Nook...

Thanks!

While there may be no "Sync Now" button, there is a sync button, it just doesn't say sync.  It's the semi circle symbol with a pointer just to the right of "nook for pc" when you are in the nook for pc library.  Click on it with your mouse and it will spin while it syncs with the server. 

On the nook proper you use the "Check for new content" choice in the B&N library menu.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@BelgianAlien,

On NOOK for PC the sync button is actually the curved arrow found on right next to the NOOK for PC logo on the top left hand side of the App. 

On NOOK, Tap on your Library and then tap on Check for new B&N content. 

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien

[ Edited ]

Still didn't quite get it to work... Do I need to go to my library before I put my Nook to sleep or does that not matter?  I'm just wondering about that because even though I have my Nook set to remember the last page on BN.com, the wireless symbol at the top does not appear while I am reading... makes me wonder if I need to go to my library and hit the "check for new BN content" again before I put my Nook down...

EDIT:

Found it. The Sync button on the Nook for PC was working, I just wasn't getting the sync on my Nook itself... Got it to work by:

1. go to my library

2, check for new content

3. open my book

4. Go To --> Last page saved on BN.com

if there's a shorter way, please let me know, but at least now I know how to get there with a few extra steps.

Thanks!

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Try the following it works for me most of the time.

• Nook for PC and all apps:  Sync in library before opening book, when finished reading, close book, return to library and sync before exiting program.
  • NOOK:  After opening book, tap on 'last page saved on BN.com' to sync, when finished reading either return to library and tap on 'check for new content' or remain in book and allow the nook to go into sleep mode on it's own.  If you manually place the nook in sleep mode it seems to bypass the "sync" subroutine and does not update the last page saved on the server.
  • Nookcolor:  Same as the nook, except there is no 'check for new content' but there is a sync button.

New User
DJHGoBlue
0 Kudos

I have the latest version of the software on both my Nook and PC.  When I read on the PC, I hit the sync button when signing on/off.

On my NOOK I use the "Check for B&N content" link, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Lately have been reading "Decision Points" by George W. Bush and "90 Seconds in Heaven" by Don Piper.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Frequent Contributor
Opa-MN
0 Kudos

I was having a problem between my Android phone and nook similar to yours.  When you return to your book on your nook tap Go To and then on Last Page Saved on BN.com.  Once I did that my "problem disappeared."  I hope that helps.

Contributor
HeidiU
0 Kudos

I am having a similar problem I think. Maybe not. I have a Nook, an android phone and and ipod.  if I read a book on my nook then go to my android phone and click the "Reading Now", it shows the LAST book i was reading on the phone, not the last book I was reading on the Nook. Is that the way its supposed to work? NOw the ipod registers that i was reading the book last on my Nook. It seems that the ipod connects to the server but the android phone doesn't. Or is it working correctly?

If i open the book i was reading on the Nook, it does synchronize

New User
DJHGoBlue
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help!  The problem is solved now.

Frequent Contributor
thegreyelf
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone,

I can't seem to solve this.  My NookColor will absolutely NOT sync with my PC.  I'm reading three books right now: Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars by Greg Cox, Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, and Scion of the Serpent by J. Stephen York.

Not one of these books will sync across devices.  When I read them on the NookColor, then go to my Nook app on the PC, the PC file opens at the last place I left off on the PC, not on the Nook.  I've tried all the syncing tricks here--clicking the sync button on the Nook before and after opening and closing, clicking the sync button on the app before and after closing, unchecking the automatic download of new files, the works.  It just won't sync.

Help!!!

The Grey Elf
http://wastedlandsfantasy.blogspot.com/
http://grey-elf.blogspot.com/
http://overpricedpopcorn.blogspot.com/
New User
glcrow
0 Kudos

I am frustrated beyond belief with this problem, which I have as well. No consistent syncing across devices. I too have tried every combination of closing, syncing, signing out / in, standing on one foot, etc.

BN customer service was unfortunately useless.

Since I see so many posts on this here and no real help I am skeptical, but thought I would add my name to the list.

Contributor
mhibbs
0 Kudos

I'm beyond frustrated with this too.  Mine doesn't work consistently either.

From my iPhone to the Nook seems to work fine by using the "Last Page Read on BN" option on the Nook.  However syncing the Nook to the iPhone is inconsistent.

I follow this guidance:

NOOK:  After opening book, tap on 'last page saved on BN.com' to sync, when finished reading either return to library and tap on 'check for new content' or remain in book and allow the nook to go into sleep mode on it's own.  If you manually place the nook in sleep mode it seems to bypass the "sync" subroutine and does not update the last page saved on the server.

I can return to the library, tap check for new content over and over and over and then goto the iPhone and use the sync arrows to force it to sync and the page numbers are still not correct on the iPhone.  It generally works the first time a book is synced to the iPhone but from that point on it either doesn't change at all, or it changes but it is way behind.  This is all over 3G not wi-fi but that shouldn't matter if checking for new BN content really causes it to send the last page to the BN server.  It would be nice if there was a way to view the page number the BN server has so I could verify the Nook is sending out the current page.  It would be even nicer if this would just actually work. 

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

I have given up even trying any more. Between the Classic, the NookColor and the iPhone, I've never been able to get it to sync correctly. I sometimes can get the Classic to sync to the Color, but never the other way around. And neither will sync to the iPhone.

Reader 2
Catfish_yes
0 Kudos

The Original Nook should snyc---

There is no way to snyc the color nook

I have had a live chat,and phone chat with B&N--The Nook Color does not snyc at this time.

I was informed that this feature may be upcoming in some future update..

Regards to all

PS. I mentioned that in the info on the Nook Color they should say it dors not sync across apps

Reader 4
SpokaneMan
0 Kudos

I chose the Nook over Kindle after weighing the pros & cons of features, etc. However, what Kindle currently has over Nook is their WhisperSync. It's seamless and effortless. Why/how Nook can produce a cool product like NookColor and not have a basic issue like this figured out at the get-go is beyond me. Yes, I do believe they'll eventually come up with an update that will address this issue, but why not have it sorted out by launch, if not shortly after? Wouldn't this be considered a basic feature? Ok, my rant for the day. Just frustrated, like many others. And thanks to the previous responders with their insights and advice. I appreciate that you take the time!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 72 members 618 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: