New User
dakao
0 Kudos

Unable to view any PDF or ePub files not from Barnes & Noble

Since downloading the latest 1.2 update, I've been unable to view any PDF files or ePub files not from Barnes & Noble.  I've communicated with B &N tech. support but kept getting the same answer, a new update is coming soon.  For now, my Nook is totally useless because of the inability to read PDF files.  I'm very frustrated and disappointed with this unit.  I bought this because I thought it is better than the Kindle or Sony.  So far, I've been proven completely wrong.  And the help???? Absolutely useless.  One would think for the price and anticipation of the NOOK, this wouldn't happen at all.  Boy, was I wrong.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to view any PDF or ePub files not from Barnes & Noble

Have you tried turning the nook off then on again?  That usually works, especially for pdf's and epub's sideloaded to an SDHC card.

New User
Misselle38
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with you, it was working fine and then when the new update came out it swiped all my pdf's pff the nook, and now i cant get them back on there.  I have called several times and givien several different remedies, first off OF COURSE i turned it off and back on, i unregistered it twice and reset the factory settings too.  Took all the ebooks off and then tried to put them back on, NOTHING!!! I tried this cut off and on six to seven times and it will  relaod itself.. NOTHING.  I mean i ordered mine for Christmas got it Jan 17, and i have never had so many issues with one peice of technology.  This is a total waiste and the help desk support keeps giving me useless things to try to see if that works.  Hey why not send me a bradn new one, maybe THAT will work, casue obiously, this is crap...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

You might get more help and information on the nook support board.

If you run a search, I believe you will find that people have found a way to revert to version 1.1.1 until the patch is released.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU

Check out the program calibre.  In a thread I started earlier I talked about some of the wonders of calibre.  I am quite meticulous about having all the correct metadata and this program lets you change it or search for it over the internet.  Also you can convert your pdf's or whatever type of file your using to epubs (which I find work better on the nook even though the nook does support pdfs).  Also you can use this program to send your library of sideloaded content directly to the nook when its connected via USB.  Check it out this program is awesome... and free.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I used these instructions that I found on this board to successfully download an epub from Books on Board.  The only difference was it wasn't the library.  I did it well after I put 1.2 on.

1. First you need to make sure that the nook is registered and has a charge

2. Install Adobe Digital Edition on your desktop and make sure you assign a user id (you will need this)

3. Download book from library

4. Connect nook to you desktop and launch ADE

5. ADE will show the nook icon on the lower left panel

6. Drag the library downloaded file to ADE, it should the book and show it in your ADE library

7. Drag the image of the book to you nook icon.

8. Close ADE and eject/disconnect nook

9. Go to View My Documents and check for new content the book should open

For a pdf, try calibre.  I've done one of those (created from a word doc) since 1.2 also.  It also allows use to change the metadata so your file name won't show the source it was created from.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 74 members 729 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: