New User
gnorthern
0 Kudos

What is a good 10 inch Android tablet for reading?

I read a lot of magazines, all of which are sold by Nook.  While my wife totally loves her Nook Color, I found a Nook Color to be a bit small for that purpose.  What experience do people have with specific tablets running the Android app? 

I am assuming that all of those rumors of a larger Nook Color are not true.  Since the new Nook Tablet contains all of the features I want, and only those features, I view that as a perfect solution.  Let me know if you still think there is still a larger tablet coming.

Thanks for your answer.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: What is a good 10 inch Android tablet for reading?

Just be aware that there are some magazines only available on the e-ink Nooks at this time.

The New Yorker is the one that I'm aware of;  there are probably others, but I haven't run across them. 

The nook app itself is pretty much the nook app across the Android platforms.  I prefer it to the onboard reader on the NC and Touch, but it's uninstallable on those, or has been for most of their existence. 

In the 10" tabverse, the Lenovo K1 tablets are good buys.  At around 350 if you shop around, you can get a dual-core with 1G of RAM and 32G of onboard storage.  That's a very good value. 

At 400, you can get a Transformer or Iconia or whatnot, but I think the 400 dollar configs of those have 16 or maybe even 8G of storage and only  512 M of RAM. 

All of these are going to be pretty fast and have reasonable displays and run some kind of Honeycomb, so I guess the big thing to be sure of is that the Nook app will run in Honeycomb, but I'm pretty sure it does. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
jeremyshaw
0 Kudos

It would be the iPad, IMO, due to the screen ratio (I have an iPad 2), but the resolution is too low. Transformer (like most other 10" androids - 16:10 1280x800), which I also have (stupid me, lol), better, but there is some cutoff. Also, the resolution is still not high enough, but much better.

But the TF is a bit heavy. The TF Prime is much slimmer and lighter, but not expected till early December (already announced for then, by ASUS itself). Maybe a Galaxy Tab will do.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I have the Galaxy Tab 10.1.  I do read some Nook magazines on it and it works fine.  The real question is what else are you going to use the tablet for?  Spending this much money just to read magazines is overkill in my mind.

The other functionality that you're looking for should help make up your mind I would think.

Good luck!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

"It would be the iPad ... but the resolution is too low"

Has someone ported Cyanogen to the iPad?  If so, I might be interested in the iPad 2.  Nah, not really, no SD card.  :smileyhappy: 

The iPad is stupid fast, has a nice screen,  abysmal file management and according to my officemate still requires that you use iTunes to load content even if you jailbreak it.  (I got rid of mine shortly after launch, because I liked the device but hated the OS.)   

My reply was specifically focused on the less expensive section of the 10" tab market, because spending a lot of money on a tablet that you'll be using to display characters mot of the time seems a little silly. 

Also, from what I've read, the Samsung 8.9 inch and 10 inch tabs do not let you add SD or micro SD cards. 

This removed them from contention for me. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Actually the Samsung 8.9 has a slot for a micro SD.  The lack of one on the Samsung 10.1 is easily overcome with the use of an app like Dropbox - I've yet to miss an SD card and have grown to really appreciate the convience of Dropbox. 

I do agree that a high priced tablet is overly expensive if all you need/want it for is to read.

New User
gnorthern
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My initial question was based on smooth functionailty and display quality.  I have read about the Android reader for Nook having problems.  But the one poster really is making me take a second look at weight.  How much am I willing to spend extra to get a lighter tablet?

I was not clear and some people are right, a 10 inch tablet is overkill just for magazines. I am actually just looking for a reader, browser and music player, which is why I wish there was a larger Nook color.  I do not need a camera, GPS, HDMI port, etc.  I have a laptop that is great for movies and do not need that functionality.  My wife has a Nook Color, and I find that just a bit small for a reader of novels, but I can live with it for that purpose.  But even more than magazines, I find a 10 inch tablet great for general browsing.  Both magazines and browsing together makes a 10 inch tablet worthwhile to me.

For me the display is most important for general browsing, not just reading. Unfortunatey I have not found a tablet without a lot of bells and whistles that also does not have a reduction in screen resolution.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

If you're set on a 10 inch tablet then I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.  It has a great display, does all that you're looking for and weighs 1.3 lbs, same as the ipad 2.  For the usage you have stated the 16GB model should more than suffice, however if you intend to put video on the tab than you might consider the 32GB.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 1,018 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: