Reader 4
jullar
0 Kudos

Will there be a BN ereader for DROID?

Will there be a BN ereader available for Motorola DROID?
New User
Beadlam
0 Kudos

Re: Will there be a BN ereader for DROID?

Just contacted B&N about this yesterday. They said they don't have one at this time, but to keep looking - that they are constantly working on new applications. Can only hope.

Reader 4
Junque
0 Kudos

What I find hilarious is that ereader.com is a Barnes and Noble Company and they have had an e-reader for android for quite some time.  Now the nook is out and it is also android based but they can't get a reader on this site??????

Reader
abbyandhannahsdad
0 Kudos

Could it be that they don't want us using our Droids as eBook readers and want us to buy the Nook?  I can't see why it would be so difficult to make the eReader for the Droid when the Nook is built on the Android OS too.  Oh well, I guess I still carry around my iPod Touch so I can read my eBooks from B & N.  :smileymad:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Could it be that the Droid is totally owned and managed by Verizon?  Have those clowns stopped charging you to use your own built in GPS or Bluetooth?

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

DROID is short for Android. A Google mobile OS. And Verizon isn't the only phone to have it. In fact, I am going to the Sprint store this weekend to upgrade my phone to a Sprint Android phone.

I suspect that Android will gain in popularity as competition for the iphone. I'd love to have an iphone but I don't want to have to go with AT&T to get it. So, Android is my choice.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Xtro
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Could it be that the Droid is totally owned and managed by Verizon?  Have those clowns stopped charging you to use your own built in GPS or Bluetooth?

I've been on Verizon for 15 years and have never paid for either.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

DROID is short for Android. A Google mobile OS. And Verizon isn't the only phone to have it. In fact, I am going to the Sprint store this weekend to upgrade my phone to a Sprint Android phone.

Please read the lead post in this thread.  Its specifically about the Droid from Verizon.

DROID is a brand name owned by Verizon for a phone developed for them by Motorola.  Motorola licenses the "droid" name from Lucasfilm.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

I suspect that Android will gain in popularity as competition for the iphone. I'd love to have an iphone but I don't want to have to go with AT&T to get it. So, Android is my choice.

Check out the Palm Pre while you're there. I have one, and love it. There's not a B&N ereader app for the Pre, either, but it's still a great smartphone.

LPB
New User
LPB
0 Kudos

I have almost given up on this B&N ebook thing. I stupidly assumed that B&N DRM ebooks would be easy to read on my Moto Droid due to bn.com's pushing of their Android based reader - not the case! I installed the EReader (B&N owned) software on my droid and it turns out, the app does not recognize the B&N unlock codes!

I finally found a workaround:

1) Sign up for and ereader.com account

2) Enter your default CC info as is appears on bn.com (Same name and card number. I think this step is necessary although I hate to do it)

3) Download your bn.com ebooks from your bn.com account to your home computer

4) Click on the Personal Content from iPhone and iPod Touch link at ereader.com

5) Upload your bn.com ebooks to ereader (up to 25 Mb)

6) On the Droid ereader app menu, click the Online Bookshelf option

7) The selected books will be downloaded to your phone and can be read with you bn.com unlock info.

This is perfectly legal as long as you are the one who purchased the books and are the only one reading them.

New User
SpottedNigel
0 Kudos

LPB: What are you talking about? They have NOT released an official B&N eReader app yet.

Personally, I use the Aldiko App and Calibre for all my eReading needs at the moment. I have not tried downloading anything officially from the B&N E-store, but there is enough out there to keep me occupied.

There will be an Android app eventually, there are/will be enough android powered devices that B&N won't be able to ignore it if they tried.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

JohnP51 wrote:

Please read the lead post in this thread.  Its specifically about the Droid from Verizon.

DROID is a brand name owned by Verizon for a phone developed for them by Motorola.  Motorola licenses the "droid" name from Lucasfilm.

And maybe you should read what I said. "DROID" is a name copyrighted by Motorola/Verizon but is simply a copyrighted word for Android. A Google mobile OS. There is no error in what I posted. And the OS is no different than the OS in  my new Sprint Android phone. The OS's are identical.

I wound up getting a Samsung Moment and love it.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
Brownster
0 Kudos

I have been using the eReader app for Android for some time now. Go to ereader.com and download the eReader app to your Droid. You then manually copy the files of the books you want to your SD card in the folder ...eReader... when  you open the book it will ask for the name and credit card you purchased it with. Just like the eReader.com books. I have been buying and copying all my books from B&N on my droid and it works flawlessly. I also have copied my subscriptions to my Droid and read those as well.

The only issue is that you have to connect your Droid to your computer and mount the USB drive to copy the files. But it works.

Jim

Contributor
Judi421
0 Kudos

IT WORKED!!!! Youa re a genius! Thank you so much!!!

Frequent Contributor
Mike_A
0 Kudos

Judi421 wrote:

IT WORKED!!!! Youa re a genius! Thank you so much!!!

Cool!  I've been using eReader for years on Windows moble (and CE).  I knew B&N owned Peanut Press/eReader, but I wasn't sure if the pdb files would be cross compatable.  Makes it does make sense because I opened my Peanut Press files in the nook without a problem.  Now I don't have to worry about when/if B&N comes out with a windows mobile version. 

BTW, I looked at the Sprint HTC Android phone and it was pretty cool!  I'll stick with Windows, though if I ever decide to change that would be the one.  I wouldn't even think about an iPhone.  Can't stand them.  My wife loves her's though...

-Mike- 

New User
Synthuman
0 Kudos

Actually, that's great marketing on Verizon's part. Andrdoid is the OS, Droid is the brand name for a single Android phone from Verizon. They were not even the first, just the best promoted. Most major cariers now have at least one Android phone.

Contributor
Judi421
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was in the BN Store near me tonight and the Nook salesman said that BN will be coming out with an app for Droid in July! Hope he's right!

Contributor
Judi421
0 Kudos

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/05/31/barnes-noble-launches-bn-ereader-for-ipad/ on May 31

states: 

Like Amazon, Barnes & Noble is trying to give its customers access to its e-book store from a wide array of popular mobile devices, including the iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, and next month, Android smartphones. Users can store content in one master digital library and shuffle content between devices

Contributor
wildwestmt
0 Kudos

I just found a site today that had a link to a PDF of B&N's original release statement that said there would be a Droid app in "early 2010".  I think early is over.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

It is actually surprising its taking them so long to release one for the Droid.  After all the Nook is also based on the Android OS so they have much of the code already.  Another tread mentions a person being told that it will finally be ready in July.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 635 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: