Frequent Contributor
mdac
0 Kudos

Re: When, oh when, will there be an Android BN Reader app?

DRW53OH wrote:

C'mon, folks, there's now a Kindle app for Android.  The nook is an Android-based device, for pete's sake, so how difficult can it be to develop an app for Android phones that would allow me to download and read my BN library? 

I'm waiting for this, too (and included the point in a thread about future updates). I'd like a mobile app for my Android phone for the exact reason that illmunkeys pointed out: I don't carry my nook everywhere. At least, I carry my Android phone with me to more places I do my nook.

Michael-V responded with, "An Android version is going to be released soon....FYI..." following my post, so I am patiently waiting.

Frequent Contributor
mdac
0 Kudos

FYI: Borders just released their Android app.

Borders = 1

B&N = 0

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ereaderapps

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

mdac wrote:

FYI: Borders just released their Android app.

Borders = 1

B&N = 0

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ereaderapps

And Amazon = 1

At this rate Apple will have an iBooks app for Android before we get an Android B&N eReader version!  :smileyvery-happy:

- Zach
Frequent Contributor
mdac
0 Kudos

I'm feeling a little guilty about my last post.

I want to add that I have used the B&N Reader app on my iPod touch and it was a very good experience. I hope that the Android version will be at least as good if not better.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Update:  To get the app out as soon as possible and to as many android users as possible, the BN team will go straight to the app store rather than a private beta and it will be coming soon..in July.

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Android and the Ereader software?

I am going to get an Android Phone and wondering if there is going to be a version of the Ereader software for Android phones? 

DJ

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

Re: Android and the Ereader software?

Rumor is "yes".  I think I even saw an announcement at some time in the past.  It just isn't done yet.

Don't hold your breath, but we have been told that it is coming...

- Zach
Contributor
everygamer
0 Kudos

Android B&N e-reader .. getting tired of waiting

Hi,

So I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for B&N to release an e-reader for the Android platform. There are now 20+ Android phones on the market, and Android OS based phones outsold iPhone in Q1 and Q2 of 2010. All estimates are that Android will be the #2 OS for phones by Q1 2011 just behind RIM (Blackberry) just because of the number of phones and providers that are carrying them. So what is the delay in getting an Android e-reader.

Before I bought my Motorola Droid, I used the B&N ereader with my iTouch. I stopped buying physical books all together and in 5 months purchased about 25 novels all online. Now that I am on my Droid I am waiting to to the same. I sold my iTouch, so no more ebooks (or real books) until there is an ereader for Android. 

.... or I will start buying them from Amazon to use with the Kindle App for Android. I don't want to do this, I want to keep all my book purchases with one company and one app, but it is getting harder and harder every day to wait for B&N to get their act together. The nook is running Android ... what is the issue? I am a software developer by trade, I have worked with Java for years and I have already played with Android development. You should be able to take that e-reader application on the nook and port it to the phone format with very little difficulty (it could have been done months ago). 

Sincerely,

A long time B&N customer ... that really does not want to be an Amazon customer.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Android B&N e-reader .. getting tired of waiting

@everygamer,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

We appreciate your patience and will have an ereader for the Android platform very soon.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Android B&N e-reader .. getting tired of waiting

Update:  To get the app out as soon as possible and to as many android users as possible, the BN team will go straight to the app store rather than a private beta and it will be coming soon..in July.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

Sooo. Nook app for android?

I have a nook, and many a book on my nook that i would love to read. The thing is there is no B&N app for android yet(even though the nook is an android machine itself...) and i can't bring my nook into work. So on my 45 minute lunch and 15 minute break, im stuck watching sports center or some other crappy tv show.

Please make a nook/B&N app for the android market place.

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

Re: Sooo. Nook app for android?

[ Edited ]

Rumor has it "they" are working on an android version. Although reading books on my Nook is about as small as I can take it. Reading them on my G1 would be unbearable I think.

Also, a better forum for general B&N eReader comments is the next door on the right:

BN eReader Software QA & Support

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@jdarnold,

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@jdarnold,

Wow.  You may be pasting this a lot Michael.  I see it several times just on this one page.  Amazing.

Contributor
everygamer
0 Kudos

The administrators are pulling similar posts and appending them to this common thread and then re-posting the comments about the Android app passing beta and going right to the Android market this month. 

If that is B&N's plans, it might go a long way if they could just announce it on the device page for the site. If they just posted a "Android eReader Coming Soon" next to all that stuff about the iPad they would get less junk on the forums. 

As a software developer, if you are rushing to the market, thats fine, but I would still label it Beta since the production product would be free anyway. That way if there are a few bugs you will get less complaints, just a good PR step. Then they can take 1-2 months to iron out the bugs and release it without the beta tag. Hehe since this is a Google OS, take a play from Googles playbook ... gmail was beta for like 5 years but in production use.

Have a good one, I look forward to seeing if you get it released this month.

One other thing you might want to consider is dropping the DRM in your EPUB files, there are utilities that just let people strip it out anyway and anyone that really wants to pirate is not being stopped, it just keeps your paying customers from choosing the devices they want to read them on. And since you don't sell blackberries, androids, iphones, ipads, etc and the ereaders are free, if your goal with the DRM was to force people to buy Nooks it doesn't matter anymore. 

Brian

New User
KevininChicago
0 Kudos

I'll add my disapointment to the fact that "real soon now" is getting pretty trite.

It's almost the end of July and I become more and disillusioned with the lack of forward motion and how Borders hasn't seemed to have had a problem getting an Android app to market so far.

Kevin

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
jeffasaul
0 Kudos

Nook app for android is now available!

Just downloaded it to my Moto Droid.  I was one of the 1st 50 downloaders!  :smileyvery-happy:

So we'll see how it does.

In the Android Market, it is called NOOK for Android. You can get it also from here (with AppBrain app if you have it or QR code)  http://www.appbrain.com/app/bn.ereader#

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

NOOK for Android is now available.  Please click on link below for more details:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/BN-eReader-Software-QA-Support/NOOK-for-Android-is-Now-Availa...

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Re: Nook app for android is now available!

jeffasaul wrote:

Just downloaded it to my Moto Droid.  I was one of the 1st 50 downloaders!  :smileyvery-happy:

So we'll see how it does.

In the Android Market, it is called NOOK for Android. You can get it also from here (with AppBrain app if you have it or QR code)  http://www.appbrain.com/app/bn.ereader#

"Latest version: 2.0 (for all Android versions)" is a quote from AppBrain's site. That could confuse someone with Android 1.5 that they can use the app. The B&N link clearly indicates Android 1.6 is required. It's one of those not-so-small details that get people rather perturbed.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 86 members 686 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: