Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Re: Will there be a BN ereader for DROID?

TNS wrote:

It is actually surprising its taking them so long to release one for the Droid.  After all the Nook is also based on the Android OS so they have much of the code already.  Another tread mentions a person being told that it will finally be ready in July.

The touchscreen controls/OS is based on the android, but the reader software itself (on the nook) is something that is specific for that particular hardware configuration. Not to mention that the design splits it into two separate screens.

And that being the case, it most likely cannot be simply ported over to a generic android device. Instead, the app has to be built from scratch (well almost), just like it has to for any other software based app for another OS.

It is much more likely that they will be basing the android code off of the Win or Mac software code than it is that they are basing it on the nook code.

At least, that is my opinion on it.. :smileyhappy:

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
New User
Holly126
0 Kudos

Ok, I downloaded the books from BN.com to my SD card, I downloaded the ereader on my droid.  I put in my name and CC number to unlock it nad it says unlock failed.  I'm so confused.  I checked my information on BN to make sure that im using the right CC number, but its not working.  Am i Missing something?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Holly126 wrote:

Am i Missing something?

Yes. You're missing that you need to use B&N's reader software to read the B&N e-books. And that software doesn't (yet) exist for Android.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Michael-V dropped a comment earlier today to the effect that an announcement that the are looking for some people to participate in a Beta will be made soon.

See Thread

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/BN-eReader-Software-QA-Support/Switched-from-Blackberry-Curve...

New User
LanceBN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"I have been using the eReader app for Android for some time now. Go to ereader.com and download the eReader app to your Droid. You then manually copy the files of the books you want to your SD card in the folder ...eReader... when  you open the book it will ask for the name and credit card you purchased it with. Just like the eReader.com books. I have been buying and copying all my books from B&N on my droid and it works flawlessly. I also have copied my subscriptions to my Droid and read those as well.

The only issue is that you have to connect your Droid to your computer and mount the USB drive to copy the files. But it works."

This only works for EPUB files, not PDB, that's why the fellow who just tried it failed. I'll bet the book he is trying to access is PDB.

This is also why we still need the B&N app.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
LanceBN wrote:

"I have been using the eReader app for Android for some time now. Go to ereader.com and download the eReader app to your Droid. You then manually copy the files of the books you want to your SD card in the folder ...eReader... when  you open the book it will ask for the name and credit card you purchased it with. Just like the eReader.com books. I have been buying and copying all my books from B&N on my droid and it works flawlessly. I also have copied my subscriptions to my Droid and read those as well.

The only issue is that you have to connect your Droid to your computer and mount the USB drive to copy the files. But it works."

This only works for EPUB files, not PDB, that's why the fellow who just tried it failed. I'll bet the book he is trying to access is PDB.

This is also why we still need the B&N app.

I believe you said that backwards.  The ereader.com app only works with PDB (in Ereader format) and not for ePub.

New User
CarlaJM
0 Kudos

Check your file designation.  Ereader only opens .pdb files.  B&N Ereader 2.5 opens secure .pdb and secure .epub.  B&N books on their site are now secure .epub.  I purchased a book about a week ago and tried to open on my HTC Hero and got the same error.  I checked the file name and discovered it was ePUB and Caliber can't convert it because it is DRM protected.

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I now have the ereader working on my Moto-Droid!!!!  YIPPY!  Thank you Brownster/Jim! 

I was missing how to download it onto my PC to make it all work.  I am very new to ebooks seeing I had so many paper books to finish up (I had a stock pile).  I was trying to get it from the Ereader I loaded on the PC.  It will not work that way, I didn't know you can download it direct from your order form (I never opened the order email).  Which I figured out after playing some more last night. 

LOVE IT!!!  Now that it is working.

I will confess I did also get the Nook for when I want to sit and read for lengths of time (larger screen).  However it is nice to have it on the Droid for my breaks at work or when I am stuck in a line....  Those times when I wouldn't have the Nook with me.

Frequent Contributor
JoeCA
0 Kudos

Add another request for the B&N reader on Android phones (Nexus One in my case.)

New User
Mr_Disgruntled
0 Kudos

argh, this is so infuriating

I bought some books on the 17th and was able to download them off B&N's site and read them on my phone using eReader.com's app, but now when I try to read the same books re-downloaded it gives me "Unlock Failed"

I hate this DRM BS, and I can't believe we still have to put up with it.  I could have been reading all my books on PDAs since a decade ago if any publishers other than Baen (with their webscriptions site) had any sense.  As it is the only way I could read ebooks on my phone is to buy the book, then turn around and pirate a usable copy of it

Contributor
Judi421
0 Kudos

I am soooo tired of waiting for B&N to get us an ereader app for Droid! I just downloaded the Amazon Kindle app and the prices of their ebooks are comparable to B&N so guess what - B&N just lost a loyal customer!

New User
droidy
0 Kudos

I have a Motorola Cliq. I couldn't find ereader in the app market, but found FBreader and downloaded it. It is supposed to read epub files and that is the format of the book I just ordered and moved to my phone. I just don't know how to get to it. HELP.

Frequent Contributor
JoeCA
0 Kudos

FBReader can read epubs, but NOT secure epubs, which is what you get when you buy e-books from B&N.

You can read out-of-copyright epubs just fine with FBReader, e.g., from Feedbooks or Project Gutenberg. I do that on my Android phone.

But you can not read DRM-protected epubs. That's why we are all waiting for the B&N reader for Android...

New User
Robhimself
0 Kudos

Re: Will there be a BN reader for DROID?

Add one more to the people waiting.  I really want a nook and I will buy one soon but would love to get some books in the meantime while I have some extra money to spend on the 3g model or maybe have an idea of what the next generation nook will be like.  I also have an android handset (HTC Incredible) and I am also surprised that Barnes and Noble didn't make a reader for the second most popular selling OS.  Of course they have an iphone version but Android market share is growing much faster since it is available on more carriers and more platforms.  I just think a lot of companies have the mindset that iphone is a generic term for smart phone lately.  I just wish people would read a little more about these products and see where the apple products come up much shorter....   LOL that was a long rant! 

Contributor
Judi421
0 Kudos

I just couldn't wait anymore - I have bought and read 2 books from Amazon Kindle app for Droid and it works incredibly!!!! B&N should be really worried about losing customers to Amazon. It is so easy to download books to my Droid and read them. It syncs with my PC perfectly so that I can pick up on my laptop where I left off on my Droid. AND the prices of the ebooks are almost exactly the same!

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Judi421 wrote:

I just couldn't wait anymore - I have bought and read 2 books from Amazon Kindle app for Droid and it works incredibly!!!! B&N should be really worried about losing customers to Amazon. It is so easy to download books to my Droid and read them. It syncs with my PC perfectly so that I can pick up on my laptop where I left off on my Droid. AND the prices of the ebooks are almost exactly the same!

I don't think they're too worried.  Now you're stuck always using a Kindle app to open books from Amazon.  B&Ns and Adobe are working together to get B&Ns DRM on all devices using ADE - Amazon has not yet made the same jump so you're stuck using their software until they do.

It would have been better for you to use Borders - at least they use ADE DRM which is compatible with everything but Kindle.

Contributor
Judi421
0 Kudos

I agree, but for now, this works for me. Once  I read a book, that's it, I don't read it again, so that's ok. But, IF and WHEN BN does finally put out their app for Droid, I will switch then. Do you have ANY idea when that will be???? Thanks!

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Android App

From Engadget today:

"Pandigital's Novel may be delayed until next month because of some firmware issues....Barnes & Noble's Android app will be preloaded, and..."

So, Android app, where are you for my phone?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Android App

@illmunkeys,

We are working on an Android B&N eReader App and expect it to be available soon.

FYI.

New User
snNC
0 Kudos

Re: Android App

How can we find out when it will be available as is the Kindle reader for Android?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 198 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: