New User
windozesuk
0 Kudos

Re: Android App

Funny that Nook runs on android.. yet there is an app for iphone, ipad, mac, and PC... but not for android???

I know you guys are coming soon with it, but seems to me you kinda already had it... a few changes to the NOOK app itself.. and you would have an android phone app ready.

Please hurry

Reader 2
medinauta
0 Kudos

even for RIM (Blackberry)

Contributor
Jeff79
0 Kudos

Yeah, I bought a new android phone a few months ago (got rid of my Blackberry storm), and there was no B&N e-reader app!!  I would not have gotten an android phone back then if I knew there was no e-reader app for B&N.  I guess I just assumed that B&N would have that market already.  Deeply disappointed.

I have read a considerable amount less now that I cannot read on my phone.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

windozesuk wrote:

Funny that Nook runs on android.. yet there is an app for iphone, ipad, mac, and PC... but not for android???

I know you guys are coming soon with it, but seems to me you kinda already had it... a few changes to the NOOK app itself.. and you would have an android phone app ready.

Please hurry

I guarantee porting the Nook's reader to a phone wasn't quite as easy as a few changes.  The simplicity of getting a reader to work on one dedicated eReader device (the Nook) vs the complexity of getting a reader to work on tons of different phones each with different screen sizes, input methods, orientation options, different OS versions... etc.  

Now, even with these complexities, an eReader should have already hit the Android phone.  More than likely, I won't be able to use it anyway... until I have had enough and decide to root my phone.  Motorola cliq = worst phone decision ever made.  Come on Galaxy S, lets hurry up and hit the market.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Blah.  Borders has an android app live.

Interestingly, their Bookstore doesn't list the Nook as a supported device, even though it does look like the DRM is provided by ADE.

Contributor
Wildardoc
0 Kudos

Well as long as it is using standard DRM I assume it will work.  They probably don't want to have a competing bookstore listed on their site.

New User
wolverineguy55
0 Kudos

I totally disagree with you.  An Android app should have come out before an iPhone/iPod, iPad, or Blackberry app.  The Nook is an Android device so they should be familiar with programming for Android devices.  The obstacles you mention are not that difficult.  Obviously, Amazon and Borders had no issue with Android and they didn't have base code to start with.  The iPhone/iPod and iPad require developers to use Apple's horrible obsession with Objective C and I have also heard that many developers avoid Blackberry because RIM doesn't provide good tools to develop.

Google offers advice on how to program Android apps for different device sizes and OS versions.  I wonder if B&N is avoiding Android for some reason.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I am planning on getting the Droid X this coming Thursday (if I like it after I see it).  I am currently using an iPhone.  With the size of the Droid X screen I would love to be able to read my Nook books on the phone as well.  I can't wait until they add in the functionality to be able to read on 2 different devices and keep my same page on both.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

wolverineguy55 wrote:

I totally disagree with you.  An Android app should have come out before an iPhone/iPod, iPad, or Blackberry app. 

I have an Android phone.  I want a B&Ns app and I agree its taking too long.  I disagreed that making an Android phone app was as easy as changing a little code in the Nook.

To expand:  The major decision had to do with market penetration.  The Apple and Blackberry crowd had more phone sales.  Its only a recent development that Android has become a competitor in the Phone OS market and even then, RIM still wins.  Getting a B&Ns app on the iPad day one was a huge priority - it not being there would have instantly cramped their chances on that device and any future Apple tablet.

I think the iPhone/iPad app was a huge success for B&Ns.  Huge.  The Amazon and B&Ns apps on those devices outsell iTunes books.

And, if you don't think programming for multiple devices, multiple screens, and even multiple OS versions isn't difficult (let alone TESTING all of them) then you and I have a different idea of what makes programming difficult for Android.  Even Amazon's android app took FOREVER to bring out.  When I make my (very simple) programs on Android, I'm glad I only care that they look good on my screen.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Update:  To get the app out as soon as possible and to as many android users as possible, the BN team will go straight to the app store rather than a private beta and it will be coming soon..in July.

New User
KingBen
0 Kudos

E-reader for Android

I am only one of the many many many users of an Android phone when will we see an e-reader for our phones.  Hint: Kindle already has a free app.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Re: E-reader for Android

And you thought that by starting thread number 274 of the same topic would get your Android ereader a bit quicker?

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Reader
volleybeth4
0 Kudos

Maybe if we keep saying Kindle/Amazon already have an Android app, they'll work a bit quicker.  I noticed BN has said since early last year an Android app was coming, but it's still not here apparently.  Things like this do sway people between Kindle and the Nook, if someone has an Android phone, they're not going to buy the Nook since they can't at this time read their books.

Reader 4
PayneAS
0 Kudos

I'm annoyed that there is already an IPad app but not one for the Android.That's ridiculous.

Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook

The Nook uses the Android system so it does seem more than a little ridiculous that there isn't an Android phone app for Nook.

I don't see anything wrong with continuing to request it on this forum. I want it too. 

Correspondent
DRW53OH
0 Kudos

When, oh when, will there be an Android BN Reader app?

C'mon, folks, there's now a Kindle app for Android.  The nook is an Android-based device, for pete's sake, so how difficult can it be to develop an app for Android phones that would allow me to download and read my BN library? 

Frequent Contributor
nooksst
0 Kudos

Re: When, oh when, will there be an Android BN Reader app?

If you have a Nook, why would you read on your phone?  If you don't have a Nook, why would BN have any sympathy for you?

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

nooksst wrote:

If you have a Nook, why would you read on your phone?  If you don't have a Nook, why would BN have any sympathy for you?

Because they sell eBooks, and the more devices they can sell those books for, the larger the potential market and profit? Seems obvious to me.

B&N is working on an Android reader. Don't assume that just because the Nook is Android based that porting the code to an Android phone should be "simple". I suspect, with no inside knowledge, that the Android application will be out soon.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Correspondent
illmunkeys

[ Edited ]

nooksst wrote:

I don't carry my Nook everywhere, that's why I want it.  And they don't make near the money on Nook sales that they do on eBook sales.  The more devices B&Ns can get displaying their eBooks, the better off they are.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DRW53OH wrote:

C'mon, folks, there's now a Kindle app for Android.  The nook is an Android-based device, for pete's sake, so how difficult can it be to develop an app for Android phones that would allow me to download and read my BN library? 

This is a NOOK board.  That's why it says "Nook" at the top in big white letters.  This was neither a misprint nor an accident.  This post belongs on the eReader board.

@Michael_V -- how about moving this thread to the right board when you get a chance?  TX

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:49 members 422 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: