New User
pkwilliams823
0 Kudos

Windows Mobile version anytime soon?

Hello,

Will there be a version of the e-reader for Windows Mobile smartphones anytime soon? 

Thank you!

New User
opsmgr3774
0 Kudos

Re: Windows Mobile version anytime soon?

Yes, do tell, when will this be available for windows mobile

Distinguished Correspondent
Phil_K

Dear pkwilliams823, opsmgr3774, and BruJr:

Thanks for inquiring about support for the Windows Mobile Smartphone. This is one of the platforms we're currently working on, but at this point we haven't been able to get a precise release date from the developers. I'm sorry not to have a more definitive answer; we know that there's a lot of interest in Windows Mobile, and we'll certainly convey this message to our eBooks team.

Contributor
BruJr
0 Kudos

Thank you for responding to this - I'm sorry I got a little grumpy on the thread I started. All the evidence that I had rolling in told me that Windows Mobile had been dropped, and since I had heard no evidence to the contrary, I assumed the worst.
New User
David_31262
0 Kudos

I'll add a vote for this one !!!!

New User
A_Pickle
0 Kudos

I'd like to chalk in another vote for Windows Mobile.  It's a capable OS that a LOT of people use on their smartphones, and so it'd be a shame if they couldn't enjoy the mobility that the nook offers despite possessing a device more than capable of doing that.

I'd also like to suggest that you remind your Windows Mobile development team (if one indeed exists) to remember to code for 320x320 pixel screens, such as the one on the Palm Treo 800w or on my Palm Treo Pro, or the Samsung Epix.

Contributor
BruJr
0 Kudos

I just worked out a "workaround" for Windows Mobile users until the finalized version of the BN reader is released.

The B&N eReader is based on the eReader acquired from their purchase of FictionWise, and the new B&N purchased books are still compatible with the eReader that can be downloaded for free from eReader.com.

However, adding books is a little more complicated than simply copying the books to the ebook library on your WM device. You will need to do this in conjunction with a PC at this point.

You will need to download the eReader application for Windows Mobile onto your PC, and run the installation process on your PC.  During the installation process, it will actually wait for you to plug in your WM device before completing the install.  Once the install is complete, you will have a new program on your actual PC (start>Programs - or "All Programs", depending on your set up>BookInstaller).  Running this program will allow you to browse to *.pdb book files on your PC and transfer them to your WM device.

The next time you launch the eReader application, your books should be visble. Once you open them on your WM device, it will ask you for the same unlock information.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

A_Pickle wrote:

I'd like to chalk in another vote for Windows Mobile.  It's a capable OS that a LOT of people use on their smartphones, and so it'd be a shame if they couldn't enjoy the mobility that the nook offers despite possessing a device more than capable of doing that.

I'd also like to suggest that you remind your Windows Mobile development team (if one indeed exists) to remember to code for 320x320 pixel screens, such as the one on the Palm Treo 800w or on my Palm Treo Pro, or the Samsung Epix.

Thanks for the vote and the suggestion. We hear your request, and we'll pass it along to the product team. So far, we have not announced specific plans for Windows Mobile, and we don't have any more information at this time.

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

Cast my vote too!  Honestly, since the original e-reader software already worked on WinMo I'm surprised it isn't already supported.  What's the holdup?

Contributor
WhtTigress

I too have a Windows mobile phone.  I just found out a couple of days ago that the ereader application for windows mobile at ereader.com is able to read the b&n ebooks.  It would be nice to download directly from your b&n library instead of transferring from the pc though. ereader app.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BruJr wrote:

I just worked out a "workaround" for Windows Mobile users until the finalized version of the BN reader is released.

The B&N eReader is based on the eReader acquired from their purchase of FictionWise, and the new B&N purchased books are still compatible with the eReader that can be downloaded for free from eReader.com.

However, adding books is a little more complicated than simply copying the books to the ebook library on your WM device. You will need to do this in conjunction with a PC at this point.

You will need to download the eReader application for Windows Mobile onto your PC, and run the installation process on your PC.  During the installation process, it will actually wait for you to plug in your WM device before completing the install.  Once the install is complete, you will have a new program on your actual PC (start>Programs - or "All Programs", depending on your set up>BookInstaller).  Running this program will allow you to browse to *.pdb book files on your PC and transfer them to your WM device.

The next time you launch the eReader application, your books should be visble. Once you open them on your WM device, it will ask you for the same unlock information.

Thats exactly what I do except the other way around.  I use the Barns and Nobel reader but I purchase books from fictionwise and ereader.com.  But I use my browser on my phone go to ereader.com or fictionwise click the download and then just select the folder on my card where my b&n reader files go.  The B&N reader adds them to my list.

What I would like is more features, like being able to sort my collection my author then title.  Makes it easier to find the book I've just added or want to re-read.

Also the ability to change the color of the background from white to a color less straining on the eyes.

Inspired Contributor
gjrice
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, it has been months now. Where is the reader app for windows mobile? I am feeling pretty neglected.

When we will see an app for windows mobile?????

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

Yes... still waiting!

New User
dsargent
0 Kudos

I have only recently purchased a Winmo device and absolutely love it. But was disappointed to find that B&N didn't supported the device with the eReader. I was also pointed to eReader.com which is great but doesn't have a big selection of the authors I like. So this work around was great!

I would like to put my vote on the support for the Winmo device.

Reader
timons
0 Kudos

Another vote for WinMo! On-the-go business users are a key target market. Many of us use WinMo devices!

Reader
timons
0 Kudos

It looks like B&N is serious about developing a Windows Mobile ereader client.

job post - C++ Windows Mobile developer

Now, the question is when "when will we get the client?"

Frequent Contributor
Docraj
0 Kudos

FYI, there is already a version of B&N eReader for WinMo released with the new ROM for HTC HD2 (Leo). This is V2.07 for T Mobile US, but....it is not perfect. So here's hoping that we get a working version soon.

New User
BlueBeetle
0 Kudos

I've tried using that on my Touch Pro 2 but it just keeps prompting me to update... anyone fix this yet?

Inspired Contributor
skatekarate
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

looks like this might not happen now since windows phone 7 series was announced :smileysad:

Reader
timons
0 Kudos

Just found out that T-Mobile is releasing an HD2 sometime in the Spring with a B&N Reader:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7-10453263-78.html 

Looks like they might be waiting for it to coincide w/ WP7 to ride the press coverage.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 233 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: