Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

Re: Windows Mobile version anytime soon?

The HD2 should be out soon, and it is a WM6.5 device.  If B&N doesn't release soon maybe someone will extract the .cab file from the ROM and post it online.

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

The Windows Mobile version is available now.  Don't know why B&N doesn't show it on their website.  Download here:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/WinMo/BNeReader_1.0.0.27.CAB

or here with a discussion board:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=650889

Reader 4
Strayelectron
0 Kudos

I just purchased an HTC HD2 Windows Mobile phone from T-Mobile with the eReader installed.  Upon first use, the application prompted me that an upgraded version was available, and I allowed the upgrade to finish.  I then purchased two books online and proceeded to download them to my HD2 device.  The two purchased books appeared in my library, but when I tried to download them, this message appeared, "Title not currently supported on B&N eReader for this device."  I am frustrated...

New User
mkmorrison04
0 Kudos

This happened to me as well on Touch Pro 2 Sprint, B&N eReader installs fine, runs fine, books in library show up, but when clicking download on my book I am prompted "Title not currently supported on B&N eReader for this device."  Title is The 4-Hour Workweek by the way.

New User
mkmorrison04
0 Kudos

Fix for Windows Mobile - use http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm for Windows Mobile.  It will ask for an unlock code username and credit card number when you try to open your book.  I entered in the format:

Firstname Lastname (assuming first name last name used for B&N signup)

CC# of card used for purchase no dashes or spaces

and was able to read my B&N ebook.  Note: I was hesitant to put card info in, but that is apparently used for the ebook encryption.

Hope this helps someone, regards.

Contributor
mknewman
0 Kudos

I've got the .cab file that gets downloaded on the HD2 the first time you fire it up, if any WinMo users want to try it get in touch with me at marc at newman dot org .

I also had the problem with it not being able to open books but after a hard reset and a download it's working fine.  Interface is pretty nice on my HD2 touchscreen but there are a few bugs, such as screen formatting gets messed up sometimes and there doesn't seem to be any graceful way out other than using the BACK button which does kill it.  But it's easily nicer than eReader's reader which I've been using for 13 years, and helped develop (beta testing and feature suggestions).

Note that if you download a book off the B&N site via the web you get a .pdb file but if you let the reader download it you get a .epub.  The B&N reader won't read .pdb and the eReader won't read .epub.

Marc

New User
ringaround
0 Kudos

I have a windows mobile phone, Samsung Omnia with wm 6.1, long-time purchaser of ereader books and enjoy reading on my cell. I don't want to have to carry another device! Please prod those developers a little so we can get a compatible reader that syncs and links to BN properly.

New User
ringaround
0 Kudos

I might add that if Amazon makes a Kindle reader for windows mobile first, you will have lost potential customers so you should be motivated.

New User
RDBRB
0 Kudos

Lets cut to the truth. Those of us who have been loyal customers of eReader.com for the last 6-7 years, who continue to use our Windows Mobile based PDAs as we have for the last 6-7 years and who look at the current craze over touch screen devices like the iPad and iPhone saying "Yawn. Been there, done that for the last 6-7 years", have been totally abandoned by Barnes and Noble. Their change of eReader format from a tried and proven .pbd platform to the .epub format without warning, dropping virtually all of the newest bestsellers from their eReader.com site, leaving only Romance, Mainstream, Science Fiction and Historical non-best seller ebooks behind, should infuriate all of us.They are trying to force us to accept their poorly designed software in formats that we do not want to use. How long does it take to write a software program for the Windows Mobile platform when you already own the rights to the original eReaderPro .pdb software. They say they are 'working on the problem". Get real. They have no intention of designing a functional Window Mobile B&N reader. If they did they would have designed one prior to the conversion to the .epub format. The only way is to resolve this issue is to totally drop our support of their company and switch to Mobipocket; yes, owned by Amazon and still offering new best sellers that are readable on a reader that is compatible with Windows Mobile, and is as well developed as the old eReader Pro (either program is light years better than the "new improved" B&N eReader). I am sorry to take this stand, but after having been a loyal customer of eReader.com since 2004 and having 464 titles in my eReader.com bookshelf, I feel that I have earned the right to call a spade a spade.

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

My understanding is that Mobipocket has announced that they have no plans ever for offering A5 books. pdb/eReader format books from at least 3 of the major publishers are available from Deisel eBooks. B&N eReader is available for WM 6.5 on the HTC HD2 at least. It is very basic and not perfect but does the job. ePub as an open standard has appeal to many publishers and self-publishing authors. In my opinion B&N bought the DRM technology and although I have issues with some aspects of their approach I really really appreciate that part. Mobipocket, Microsoft Reader etc lock the books to the devices and although you could get permission to add new devices, I just couldn't accept that. I was right - from what I read at Fictionwise a few months ago changes at Mobipocket cost many people their books and prevented them from ever adding new devices that would work with the books they had already purchased. I don't know how big their programming staff is and don't much like the uncertainty myself, but I think there is at least a good chance they will try to increase their device base. If not, hopefully they will allow the pdb format to continue even if they don't choose to offer it. I personally started buying pdb books from Peanut Press in 1999 and at least know I can read on any of the dozens of IPAQs, smart phones, PCs etc we have lying around the house, so my ebooks are probably better protected than the books boxed out in the garage.

New User
RobSoFL
0 Kudos

It worked!!! Thanks for the work-around!!!

For reference purposes: I have a Windows Mobile 6 Standard based device (Samsung i617). The BookInstaller is a stand-alone application and doesn't actually have to install. I installed the eReader directly from the CAB file.

I'm concerned about the future of the application with Windows Mobile 7, since it will no longer support native applications. Everything will have to be based on Silverlight, the future isn't looking too bright...

New User
MHC48
0 Kudos

Okay, I give up. Maybe there just weren't enough Windows Mobile users as compared to other platforms.

How about a version for the new Windows Phone 7 scheduled to be coming out in about a month or two?

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

I believe that B&N has a small SW staff and is trying to go for the adventurous device market ie Apple and Android , the users who may be most likely to investigate eBooks. I have no idea what their actual volumes are, although I am curious. I do believe the Windows mobile format has a very dedicated group of readers - like me :smileyhappy: but I don't know the relative numbers. I have an HTC Window Mobile 65.5 device and the reader works fairly well with few problems. I'd much prefer a higher level of commitment - and support at LEAST back to Windows Mobile 6.0, if not Pocket PC 2003 because I have lots of devices, and I switch between then according to my needs (biggest battery, reading outside, etc. But primarily I hope B&N will be successful because of their adoption of the Peanut Press DRM. This are the only DRM that doesn't tie books to devices, and that is huge. I really wish B&N would enable as many 3rd party developers as possible to support their format. B&N's real success will be in selling ebooks, not hardware, and the sooner they can get broad adoption of their DRM, the more likely they are to survive.

Reader
fhayes
0 Kudos

I'd like to see a Windows Mobile version.

Inspired Contributor
justmejh
0 Kudos

Also i hope this includes a WP7 version as i would love to have a reader app for my new WP7 phone when it releases

New User
jerrycostley
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. I am about there and it looks like this will finally be the answer! Can you tell me where I find the unlock information, though? Thanks for all your help.

Jerry

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 940 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: