New User
Daniel_Gentry
0 Kudos

Windows Phone Application

I am really trying hard not to shift my ebook buying over to amazon.com.  Please help me by adding a Windows Phone app.

I have my library on my Nook reader, my iOS devices, my WIndows 8 PC, will have it on my Surface tablet when the pro comes out, but why, oh why, can I not have it on my beautiful Lumia 920?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Windows Phone Application

It's likely in the pipes given that MS has a stake in Nook Media, and that the Nook app is baked in to Windows 8 for PCs.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
Daniel_Gentry
0 Kudos

I agree..  but it would really help if they would confirm it is in the pipe, and a rough estimate of when it will be available. Q1, 2013?  Q2?

The not knowing anything is coming is sending some people away.  One friend of mine decided to go to Kindle because of this.. so BN lost a Nook sale, plus all the eBooks.

so.. BN reps.. we don't need an exact date (tho that would be awesome), just "yes it is in the works, should be first part of the year" kind of thing.. something...

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

By now you should know that most companies do not comment on future products until they are ready to release.  BN is most likely in that camp.  They did not pre announce the Win8 offering nor the iOS release until they were on the website ready to download.  I don't think you will ever get major companies to announce to the world what they are working on, that just does not make sense.  Tell the major competition what you are working on so that they can attempt to beat you to the release, this is just the way the software industry works.

New User
JohnnyBricks29
0 Kudos

I feel the same way. It would be nice to know that I just had to wait a couple months, or if it was even in the works. The last person I spoke to at B&N said that there was nothing coming and they were waiting to see if there was interest. I laugh because if they read these blog, and the Microsoft blogs, there is lots of interest. Their complacency has moved me to consider rooting my Nook color. Then I can download the nook app, for my existing library, and kindle apps, for all future books. I read about half of my books on my old phone when I couldn't or didn't half access to a large ereader.

New User
dinokr
0 Kudos

I'm wating as well...anticipation!
New User
MadeforVermont

Dear Barnes and Noble... you are really missing an opportunity here!  I have a nook, but want to read my books on my Lumia 928.   There is a Kindle app, but no Nook app.  I really don't want to switch but may do so if an app doesn't come out soon.   Thanks for listening :smileyhappy:    

Reader 2
Darrian77
0 Kudos

I agree.  B&N should have had an app out for WP7 and they failed.  Now WP8 is out and gaining momentum, there is a Windows 8 app, and yet they still can't seem to get a WP8 app out the door.  I can't imagine it would be especially hard; the Windows 8 app is damned near perfect, they should just copy that and shrink it down for the mobile screen.  I really can't fathom why this is taking so long.  The only thing that makes sense is that they just don't give a damn and have no intention of ever releasing one, and I think that needs to change or they are going to loose a chunk of people over to Amazon.  I probably won't switch because I still primarily use my Nook HD+ for reading, but my phone is always on me and my Nook is not.  Before I had a HTC Trophy, and I didn't care much, but now that I have a Lumia 928 it is frustrating the hell out of me that I can't access my books on it.

Contributor
blueisback

Just received my Lumia 928, but soon realized that I had made a mistake in my planning. I thought the nook app was available for the W8 phone, but, obviously, it is just for the tablet and pc. What a disappointment. The screen on the 928 is beautiful - the perfect space to read a book while on the road.

I really prefer this W8 phone to the android phone it is replacing, so switching the phone just to get the nook app isn't a choice. However, a move to the Kindle reader is a choice, and I'm going to make it. I use my phone to read more than I use my tablet, so sticking with B&N just doesn't make sense when I can use Kindle on every device I own. I'll start buying from nook again when they respond to the needs of their customers and give us a W8 phone app.

By the way, my wife and I have been with B&N since they released the first nook, and I've purchased every nook upgrade sonce - most recently the nook hd+.  My wife loves it and will continue to support it (her iphone does support a nook app.) Also, it's interesting to note, nook was the only app that I regularly use that was lost with the switch to a W8 phone. 

Reader
drosene

I too just switched from Android to Windows Phone and am shocked to learn that the Nook App is the only one I can't easily replace.  I received my Nook Color as a gift and have enjoyed it for several years.  It is a great device. I am currently running Cyanogen Mod 10.1 which roughly translates to Android 4.1 and does nearly anything a Nexus 7 tablet will do and only a little bit slower... what do you expect!

I also run the Nook App on my windows 7 laptop and Windows 8.1 desktop and Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.  Now I find that I have to remove the DRM from my Nook books in order to read them on my Nokia 925.  You have to be kidding Barnes & Noble!  How much more does Microsoft need to invest to get you do what you surly must have already agreed to do in your contract? 

I hope this becomes a topic of discussion at the next Microsoft Shareholder meeting.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

drosene wrote:

I too just switched from Android to Windows Phone and am shocked to learn that the Nook App is the only one I can't easily replace.  I received my Nook Color as a gift and have enjoyed it for several years.  It is a great device. I am currently running Cyanogen Mod 10.1 which roughly translates to Android 4.1 and does nearly anything a Nexus 7 tablet will do and only a little bit slower... what do you expect!

I also run the Nook App on my windows 7 laptop and Windows 8.1 desktop and Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.  Now I find that I have to remove the DRM from my Nook books in order to read them on my Nokia 925.  You have to be kidding Barnes & Noble!  How much more does Microsoft need to invest to get you do what you surly must have already agreed to do in your contract? 

I hope this becomes a topic of discussion at the next Microsoft Shareholder meeting.

This what I would do.  I would find an epub reader for Wp and learn how to strip the drm off your purchased books. Once you learn what needs to be done it is rather simple.

keriflur
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:
This what I would do.  I would find an epub reader for Wp and learn how to strip the drm off your purchased books. Once you learn what needs to be done it is rather simple.

But before you do, educate yourself on DRM stripping as it's illegal based on the DMCA - not saying don't just saying know what you're doing.

Contributor
blueisback
0 Kudos

Stripping the drm gets a b&n book into a usuable format for another reading program. This would be an alternative for books already purchased. It also makes some sense for people who have invested in the nook hd or hd+ as their android based tablet.  But for those of us using Windows 8 on a tablet, pc, and phone, it doesn't make sense to use b&n for new purchases.. Switching to a competitor and purchasing the book from them directly is so much easier and it sends the message to b&n that a customer is not being well served. Yeah, I know those of us using the Windows 8 phone represent a small market share, but are we so small that our dollars don't matter when b&n counts up the profit at the end of the year? The best answer that works for everyone seems to be the simplest - give us a nook wp8 app. Until then, I will choke it down and use amazon to read on my phone and on my windows 8 tablet.

New User
IndyDawg
0 Kudos

I've just upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 925 and the first thing I went to do was download the Nook app.  Guess I'm not the only one who was surprised to find there isn't one.  Seeing the Kindle app, I took a look for the books I'm planning to purchase.  All of them are cheaper from Amazon.  The last book I purchased for my Nook is also cheaper on the Kindle.  Looks like Barnes and Noble's decision not to support these devices has cost them a customer.  I'll be picking up a Kindle once I've finished reading the books I've already loaded on my Nook.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I'm curious.  Supposedly one of the points of Windows Phone 8 was so it would run the same software as Windows 8 tablets or PC's, where there is a Nook app available.  Is the cross-platform compatibility a myth?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 292 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: