New User
quickquest88
0 Kudos

b&n can keep you from accessing your paid for books

this probably goes for all versions on the software, including the native app on the nook color.

if you purchase a book, then for some reason your credit card gets cancelled or goes away (in my case, bankruptcy), then b&n will not allow you to access the property that you own,  you cannot get your items from archive.

i.e., they take your money, and take your books away.

barnes and noble, you suck. youve just lost a customer because of your stupid policies.

(on a side note, could it be any more difficult to get an account on this forum. i must have tried 20 times to get a pen name, and it would never get past the part where i say i want to use this one. when i hit the button to choose, it would reload the account page. had to go to mybn.com, and found a place to chose a pen name. the pop-up simply refused to work)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: b&n can keep you from accessing your paid for books

quickquest88 wrote:

if you purchase a book, then for some reason your credit card gets cancelled or goes away (in my case, bankruptcy), then b&n will not allow you to access the property that you own,  you cannot gety your items from archive.

This is because B&N's social DRM is tied to the credit card on file when they are downloaded.  Archived items need to be downloaded anew.

You can use a prepaid debit card if you link it to your physical address.  See this thread for info.

(Go to the bank, buy a $10 prepaid card put it on your account, unarchive everything download to your NOOK as well as to NOOK for PC / NOOK for Mac, import all of those files into Calibre and you have them, even if you are never able to download them again.)

New User
Tavie
0 Kudos

The same thing is happening for me. I purchased an e-book for my iPhone's Nook app last year. I paid money for it.

Since last year I have gotten a new credit card as well as a new iphone. I have the app again but all of books are gone. I went in just now to try to download this book again and it's prompting me for the specific credit card that I no longer have!

I went into my B&N account on my computer and changed my credit card info there. But still it prompts me for the ORIGINAL credit card number to download this book on my iPhone!

Why? I've paid for this book and I'm not allowed to read it? This is really infuriating.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Tavie wrote:

The same thing is happening for me. I purchased an e-book for my iPhone's Nook app last year. I paid money for it.

Since last year I have gotten a new credit card as well as a new iphone. I have the app again but all of books are gone. I went in just now to try to download this book again and it's prompting me for the specific credit card that I no longer have!

I went into my B&N account on my computer and changed my credit card info there. But still it prompts me for the ORIGINAL credit card number to download this book on my iPhone!

Why? I've paid for this book and I'm not allowed to read it? This is really infuriating.

Because B&N uses a social DRM based on the credit card used to purchase the book. You need to contact customer service at B&N. If you download it from your B&N account it should open with the new card you have on your account. It has to be set as the default card. This DRM allows your B&N books to be read on any device that supports the ability to read the B&N DRM unlike the Kindle which only allows for six devices. This means if you want to share your books all you have to do is share your card number. This works for family members and friends that you trust.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

Tavie wrote:

Because B&N uses a social DRM based on the credit card used to purchase the book. You need to contact customer service at B&N. If you download it from your B&N account it should open with the new card you have on your account. It has to be set as the default card. This DRM allows your B&N books to be read on any device that supports the ability to read the B&N DRM unlike the Kindle which only allows for six devices. This means if you want to share your books all you have to do is share your card number. This works for family members and friends that you trust.

Just to clarify, B&N uses the credit card that is set as the default card on the account at the time the book is downloaded not purchased to set the encryption key.

If you change the credit card on your account, then just re-download the book after making sure the new card is set as the default card on the account.

If you go to your eBook library on barnesandnoble.com it will show you the information (last 4 digits) for the default card at the top of the page.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:13 members 270 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: