Contributor
rubytuesday007
0 Kudos

eReader for Android Mobile OS 2.0

With the new Motorola Droid, what is certain to be a slew of new Android 2.o devices coming before the holidays, and the Nook being based on the Android operating system, I am confounded that the eReader is not available on the Android mobile OS.  Why is that?  What is the ETA?  I know there was a thread many months ago where the mod had responded to this very question that it was weeks/months away and that was in July.  What gives?  When will the eReader be available for the mobile Android OS? 

Contributor
rubytuesday007
0 Kudos

Re: eReader for Android Mobile OS 2.0

anyone from B&N care to respond?

Contributor
rubytuesday007
0 Kudos

anyone???

Frequent Contributor
ElAleph
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

With the success of Motorola's Droid, it's only logical that an Android app is in the works. Given the competitive nature of the market, I don't see B&N announcing an Android app until it's very close to being released.

It doesn't make sense to announce an Android app if it's months from being released as this would put B&N at a disadvantage with it's competitors. It's business people, you have to understand that.

They know we want one, but they will not respond beyond what they have already stated in the matter. Which is that they are working on new platforms and will inform us when the time comes.

Contributor
rubytuesday007
0 Kudos

That is an interesting response....considering a moderator from Barnes and Noble, when asked this very question back in July, responded with we are "Weeks/months" away from adding new platforms.  Yet here we are a few days away from December and no new platforms since.  Perhaps that person was unauthorized to speak on behalf of B&N?

Here is the link to that thread

I just seems odd to me that a Mod from B&N would go out on a limb and say "weeks" away unless something was immanent.  I am sure something is in the works.  I am sure that it doesnt make sense to announce something unless it is close.  I hear you ELALEPH.  They know we want one, I get it.  But they already let the cat out of the bag and did so with certain expections by using weeks as a defined time parameter.   If she would have just said, "Coming Soon", ok.. yea i would have thought, could be months or even a year away.  You get my drift. 

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

The Barnes and Noble company owns eReader.com which just released a Android version.  I suspect it can read books from Barnes and Noble.

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In case you wonder the BN ereader is a version of the ereader.com eReader Pro and the PC and Palm version have no trouble reading Barnes and Noble eBooks.  This is why I suspect the Android version will be able to read Barnes and Noble books.  I don't have a Android device but the doc makes it look an awful lot like what is shown in the Nook demo at least when reading PDB books.  This format was the format used on Palm (Palm Data base) and eReader.com was once marketed as Palm Digital media. 

Contributor
rubytuesday007
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip.  What is interesting to find out is if I purchase an ebook from B&N.com with DRM, will I be able to see and download it through ebook.com.  My concern, like most, is DRM purchased books and portability.  I have many many books already purchased through B&N.com when I USED to have an iphone at my old employer.  New company bans iphones, but allows Android phones.  So i have tons of books now I cannot read.  That is why I am DYING for an Andoid version of the B&N reader.  I am in jail from DRM right now.  

New User
Nilesvm
0 Kudos

This is lame, why don't you guys (barnes and noble) have an ereader app for andriod yet? I am using other free apps, including ereader.com, but there selection doesn't have many of the new books I want and is very limited. I want to buy your ebooks. When are you going to have the app?

Contributor
rubytuesday007
0 Kudos

I suspect that with the news of Google and the upcoming release of their branded mobile phone coming out January 5th, that B&N might get their head out of their "you know what" and start actually developing an ereadrer for the Android mobile platform. 

Contributor
BruJr
0 Kudos

If it works anything like the Windows Mobile version of the eReader.com reader, then if you install the app on your PC, and on your Android device, you should be able to transfer books purchased from B&N onto the Android device via the PC app.

With the PC app running, you would plug your Android device into the PC (via micro USB) - the PC app should detect the device.  At that point, it is a simple task to transfer the books over.  Once the book is on the Android device, it will request an "unlock", just like the B&N application would - the unlock is even the same information (Purchaser, + credit card number used to purchase).

New User
thomasb
0 Kudos

I'm yet to explore all of the options, but you can read books purchased at Barnes and Noble on the ereader app from ereader.com.  When you install it, it creates an ereader folder on your sd card.  Just purchase the book on barnes and nobles site, and download the pdb file to the ereader folder on your phone.  So in essence, you can purchase anything at bn.com and read it by managing your digital downloads through the website.  An extra step granted, but it works.

New User
Ubizmo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The BN eReader on my Blackberry 8900 works beautifully, and provides a fairly seamless interface for buying and OTA download of books.  I'm consider migrating to an Android device with a bigger screen, but I don't want to give up this functionality.  If it can work on a Blackberry, it certainly can work in Android.

Ubizmo

Frequent Contributor
BookDroid
0 Kudos

Ubizmo wrote:

The BN eReader on my Blackberry 8900 works beautifully, and provides a fairly seamless interface for buying and OTA download of books.  I'm consider migrating to an Android device with a bigger screen, but I don't want to give up this functionality.  If it can work on a Blackberry, it certainly can work in Android.

Ubizmo

This is a major FAIL by B&N to not have pushed an Android App out with the last firmware update.  It is even ironic because the nook runs a version of Android!!

Frequent Contributor
EricWiz
0 Kudos

Being a nook and Droid owner I can say that I would love to see the android reader as well. I can't imagine what has taken the time to release it.

As to the ereader.com version... it's ok, but I hate that I cannot turn off the progress bar at the bottom of the screen from being touch sensitive. I find I brush it with a finger and BOOM I am at the beginnning of the book or the end or whatever. Very frustrating.

LPB
New User
LPB
0 Kudos

Maybe you have already discovered this, but I don't feel like waiting for a B&N Droid app.

I finally found a workaround:

1) Sign up for and ereader.com account

2) Enter your default CC info as is appears on bn.com (Same name and card number. I think this step is

necessary although I hate to do it)

3) Download your bn.com ebooks from your bn.com account to your home computer

4) Click on the Personal Content from iPhone and iPod Touch link at ereader.com

5) Upload your bn.com ebooks to ereader (up to 25 Mb)

6) On the Droid ereader app menu, click the Online Bookshelf option

7) The selected books will be downloaded to your phone and can be read with you bn.com unlock info.

This is perfectly legal as long as you are the one who purchased the books and are the only one reading

them.

Contributor
Brownster
0 Kudos

I have been using the eReader app for Android for some time now. Go to ereader.com and download the eReader app to your Droid. You then manually copy the files of the books you want to your SD card in the folder ...eReader... when  you open the book it will ask for the name and credit card you purchased it with. Just like the eReader.com books. I have been buying and copying all my books from B&N on my droid and it works flawlessly. I also have copied my subscriptions to my Droid and read those as well.

The only issue is that you have to connect your Droid to your computer and mount the USB drive to copy the files. But it works. And no need for an eReader.com account.

Jim

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Hey, it works! Now I have a fall back in case I'm stuck somewhere without my nook. Thanks for the heads up.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Reader 2
jfinli
0 Kudos

Any word on when an android version will be out?    I see that the iPad even has one....why not the Droid?  It's been too long. 

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

jfinli wrote:

Any word on when an android version will be out?    I see that the iPad even has one....why not the Droid?  It's been too long. 

Michael-V has mentioned that it will be out for a beta soon.

see

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/BN-eReader-Software-QA-Support/Switched-from-Blackberry-Curve...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 693 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: