Contributor
JA_Bal
0 Kudos

eReader on Windows Mobile 6.1 vs 6.5

Bug Alert...

I have found a problem with the Windows Mobile version of the BN eReader when it comes to any version of Windows Mobile less than 6.5.

Everything on the program works just fine until you actually want to read.  The ability to flip through pages or even get back to a menu will not function in 6.1 or 6.0. 

BN, I really hope you can fix this. 

When in doubt, read and learn.
Contributor
JA_Bal
0 Kudos

Re: eReader on Windows Mobile 6.1 vs 6.5

Doesn't anyone care about this?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@JA_Bal,

We are looking into this, but I do advise that you contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
JA_Bal
0 Kudos

Thank you, I will.  Somehow I missed the fact that there was a help number.  However, I'm pretty sure I exhausted all my options.  We'll soon find out.

New User
deputycook
0 Kudos

Have you found out how to fix this yet? I am having the same problem on my Touch Pro2 running WinMo 6.1

I have asked around for a solution and the only answer I've gotten was to upgrade to 6.5... so not gonna happen.

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

I've also noted this in other posts on this and related forums. I know the current winmo software was done for a specific device and release, but there are a lot of wireless-enabled 6.0 and 6.1 devices in use with ereaders. Not having this support is the only thing holding me back from purchasing a lot of B&N books.

Frequent Contributor
lewellyn
0 Kudos

If you're just starting out with the eReader on WinMo, be aware that the current version is non-functional enough that the bug report would be pages long if there were an official place to report bugs, even on 6.5.

Also, my understanding is that its real intent in life is to be used on a specific phone model, which is why it's not listed on the same page as the also-pretty-broken Mac B&N eReader… Though if there were an official way for users to give feedback (customer service doesn't even seem to know that there is a Windows Mobile B&N eReader), I am willing to bet that the feedback would make it a first-class reader, as opposed to "I hope it works today!"

Reader 4
Twobits
0 Kudos

Since I have a WindowsMobile phone, and am stuck with one for awhile if I ever want to leave my $30 a month umlimited data plan, I would be interested in this.

Where can I find it?

New User
ringaround

Reader for windows mobile devices

Still waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting and getting more and more annoyed with BN.

Reader 4
julioangelortiz
0 Kudos

Re: Reader for windows mobile devices

With Windows Mobile's next iteration, Windows Phone 7, coming out later this year (which is a complete re-write of the OS), B&N may be just waiting for that to drop. Support for Windows Mobile 6.5 is going to dwindle, as it is now essentially a lame duck mobile platform.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS

There is a B&N windows mobile ereader, but it is not listed on the ebook ereader page.  Supposively it has a lot of bugs and other problems.  Probably why it never was announced on the ebook ereader page.  A couple of phones are released with it installed.

see

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/WinMo/BNeReader_1.0.0.27.CAB

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

I use it on my HTC Imagio. It has a few problems but so far nothing that keeps me from reading a few books I purchased. What is keeping me from embracing it fully though is limited device support. It loads but doesn't really work on other Windows Mobile 6.x smart phones and wireless handheld devices, and I have quite a few of those. I don't expect B&N to make their reader sw work on my numerous Pocket PC 2003 devices (although the HP Ipaq 4705 with its large vga screen was an awesome reader and I still use it sometimes for pdb's and unencrypted books in several formats) but I would really like to be able to read on my 6.0 and 6.1 devices.

New User
St_e_ve
0 Kudos

I've been running this app on a WinMo 6.5 smartphone for months, with no problems other than a frequent margin-shift... until now. 

Yesterday, this app gave me a popup that forced me to upgrade (or it would not run).  Once I upgraded (and saw the "Lend me" icon at the left of the menu), my books would not download into my library... it's like they were never there.  I called B&N, but they refuse to even accept that it is their app, since it's not on the web page, and give me lame suggestions about trying to "sideload" their books onto my smartphone (and how I'm supposed to do that, they have no idea).

So now, I'm without books, and making a mental note never to buy books from B&N again.

Contributor
JA_Bal
0 Kudos

@BellesKH

I feel the same.  I have a Win Mobile 6.1 device and downloaded the BN app.  Everything works except for the damn page turning.  It just sucks but I doubt anyone is going to be fixing it.  Other than that I didn't see any bugs other than a slight cropping of the icons as if my screen was too small.  I really wish it would work.

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

Since 1999 I have spent between 50 and 100 dollars a month on books. The vast majority were Peanut Press/eReader/Fictionwise. I made that level of investment because 1, I like reading (and re-reading) books 2, I really like reading ebooks on my handheld devices - I bought all the best IPAQs until HP moved to smartphones, and I am on my 3rd HTC device - and 3, there was a huge base of devices that I could read my books on without ever having to go back to the provider site once the books were downloaded. My investment was reasonably secure.

Since April I have purchased very few books. Guess what? I am NOT going to buy an iPhone, iPad, or any other Apple device. I'm not going to buy an Android device in the foreseeable future. I like the Windows Mobile experience, and am becoming fond of WebOs.  I don't understand why B&N won't give me the option of downloading in .pdb. They have the books in that format. They make it available for some devices. I want to buy them. That is all it would take to have my business. I personally don't need to keep my library in the cloud, and I won't whine if I have to resync manually on occasion.

I understand that B&N can't get their new reader software on every device overnight. I don't understand why they won't sell books to people who want to buy them for devices that don't support the new format and user experience. They realize the revenue either way, don't they?

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Thank you for the link!!

I had no idea they had a Windows Mobile app and I've been really, really frustrated that I couldn't read my books on my cell phone.

I just installed the cab file to my Omnia II and it loaded perfectly!  Well, I did have to upgrade to the next version immediately, but that's okay.  I just opened my book and it seems to be working well.

A few complaints -

1.  No "go to page" option.  I had to struggle to get to the same place in the book as I was on my Nook.

2.  "Night mode" only makes part of the screen go dark.  Since I have an AMOLED screen, the less white the better the battery (and in fact, screens that are predominantly black use virtually no power).

3.  I chose "no margins" but I still have what I consider to be a fairly huge margin.  I am used to the ereader.com version of a book reader (which is called the same thing and it is also from a B&N company, but doesn't do Nook books for some odd reason) which seems to work so much better than this, but I'm just happy to have it.  Yay!!

Other than that, I'm thrilled!!  Thank you!

New User
CDGoin
0 Kudos

Why don't they mention the WinMo app?

Since I have been hooked on the NOK app for windowsMobile.. I was wondering WHY they dont show it here or list it here ? It came on my T-mobile HTC HD2, and I have since  copied the CAB File from my HD2 to my friends AT&T Tilt2 and it works fine there? Any reason B&N is ignoring a large portion of the smartphone market ? I would understand if they  didnt have an App already.. but they DO... Seems odd to me. If someone wants it check xda-developers.com Someone has posted it there.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Re: Why don't they mention the WinMo app?

Really??? I'm a huge fan of Windows Mobile (mostly because I'd be lost without the real Mobile Office on my cell phone) but I was actually thinking about finally going to Android just because I want a Nook app.

I've got the Ereader app on my phone (which works with www.ereader.com) but it does not work with Nook books (as I found out the hard way last December when I tried to buy Under the Dome from B&N and it wouldn't load, so I had to pay twice the price through ereader.com).

Could you give me a link to the Nook WinMo app?  Thank you so much!

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Woo hoo!

Thanks to your post, I did some further searching (which didn't take long as there was a very similar thread just down the list on this board) and found a link.  I just installed the cab file to my Omnia II and it loaded perfectly!  Well, I did have to upgrade to the next version immediately, but that's okay.  I just opened my book and it seems to be working well.

A few complaints -

1.  No "go to page" option.

2.  "Night mode" only makes part of the screen go dark.  Since I have an AMOLED screen, the less white the better the battery (and in fact, screens that are predominantly black use virtually no power).

Other than that, I'm thrilled!!  Thank you!

Reader 4
brandysfriend
0 Kudos

quote:  Thanks to your post, I did some further searching (which didn't take long as there was a very similar thread just down the list on this board) and found a link.  I just installed the cab file to my Omnia II and it loaded perfectly!  Well, I did have to upgrade to the next version immediately, but that's okay.  I just opened my book and it seems to be working well. end quote

I had an experience similar to the first part of this.  The reader even tried to sync with my laptop.  But then the new version message comes up.  When I say OK, install. my ver 6.1 WinMob says FAILED "not signed with trusted or one of its components cannot be found."

The file it tried to install is http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/WinMo/BNeReader_1.1.0.22.CAB  My phone got it from the net.

So, I went I went to that address on my laptop, downloaded the cab, transferred it to my phone and it installed and works pretty well.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 740 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: