New User
lynn_1956
0 Kudos

eReader won't open on iPhone

The B&N eReader app doesn't work on my iPhone. It opens for maybe 3 seconds, then shuts back down again. I deleted the app and reinstalled it, but that didn't help. I also have the Fictionwise eReader program. It works great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lynn

Reader 4
poodlemomOK
0 Kudos

Re: eReader won't open on iPhone

I am having the same problem.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

@ poodlemomOK:  Have you also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There was an iPhone OS update pushed yesterday that addresses problems of apps shutting down upon launch.

Also when you delete the app, also delete all DATA for it (it will download your books again).  Then re-install from a fresh download of the application.  

But try iPhone OS 3.1.3 first.  It  might solve it.

Contributor
ScottF
0 Kudos

I had problems with the iPhone app at first.

What fixed it for me was re-installing and CAREFULLY entering my credit card authorization information (the error message I was getting didn't really say that was the problem, but now I think it was just a poorly written error report).

Frequent Contributor
jigray3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It wouldn't open on my new iPod Touch either. I even tried deleting the app then reinstalling. No joy.

Contributor
pmw27
0 Kudos

I have B&N eReader on my iPod Touch. It opens all right--but when I click on a book in my online library, all I usually see is the cover and a summary.

Once in a great while it actually loads the ebook itself. I am always careful to wait until everything is fully loaded, but no matter. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app this morning and enjoyed brief success. But this afternoon it's again not working.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Go to Settings in the B&N reader.

Make sure Auto Download is on.

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

This happened to me.

My solution. Tether your iPhone to your PC/Mac using the USB cable. Let iTunes come up and backup and sync your iPhone.

Go into the "applications" tab and uncheck the box next to BNReader. Sync your iPhone. This uninstalls the reader from the iPhone. Then recheck the box and resync. This reinstalls the BNReader on your iPhone.

The problem should be solved. This happened to me about a month ago and once I did this the problem has not reoccurred.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
New User
foyii
0 Kudos

My problem started after 3.1.3.  I have deleted and reloaded several times and it still isn't working.

Contributor
DFen911
0 Kudos

Has there been any resolution to this?

I downloaded the app and when I try to open it, it closes. I uninstalled and reinstalled and still not working.

I didn't have any data since I hadn't dowloaded anything yet.

If we have to the iphone update, well I guess I'm out because I think it's crap apple charges you for it when they're fixes to their issues. :smileysad:

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what you mean... Apple doesn't charge for updates to the iPhone software (they charge for MAJOR upgrades to the iPod Touch software, but not the iPhone, and never incremental "bug fix" updates for either device). The B&N eReader software is a free download through the iTunes store, and I haven't seen any indication that B&N is planning on charging for updates for that, either. 

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Inspired Contributor
wendyr67
0 Kudos

I have an ipod touch, and I downloaded BN ereader yesterday and had the same problem of it trying to open and then shutting back down. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times and then finally called BN support. They told me to download Apple's (from itune) upgrade and it will fix the problem. Done, and it did! No problems since. I think the update was 3.1.???something. (And no charge, although the customer service rep at BN told me it would cost 4.95 to update - wrong.)

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

Exactly... the major upgrades (from 1.x to 2.x or 3.x) will carry a charge if you're upgrading an iPod Touch, but not if you're upgrading an iPhone. The incremental updates (for instance 3.0 to 3.1) will be free on either device. 

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your feedback on our Barnes and Noble eReader for the iPhone and the iPod Touch. 

We apologize for the issues with relation to "crashing" or "freezing" that you have experienced using our free eReader on these devices. 

We have identified a potential fix for most crashes. 

Please go to the respective iPod or iPhone site and download the latest Software Updates for their device.

The iPod Touch updates can be found here:  http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html

The iPhone updates can be found here:  http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

If the issue persists after updating please let us know.

Your Boards Admin.,
Michael-V

New User
grisaille
0 Kudos

iPod eReader Problem

I recently got an iPod Touch, and immediately downloaded the B&N eReader program. It worked fine for a week. Now I can't get it to open at all. I touch the icon and it just sits there and circles and circles and circles while it loads. The program eventually just quits. I tried reloading the eReader, but the problem has persisted. Help?

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: iPod eReader Problem

What version do you have?

Try this:

Open the app, when the swirlie starts circling, count ten circles and press sleep.

Waken the touch, launch B&N again.  Most of the time it will launch the second time.

However, you will continue to have problems with it unless you Exit the book before

exiting the App, or sleeping the touch.

It has been reported (and seems to have worked for me) that if you delete the

app, then power all the way down, then re-download the app, but dont launch,

then power down again, finally reboot and relaunch B&N it will work.

It deletes all books on the touch, but when you re-download them you

get a working copy.  Expect to have to enter your CC number to open

the first book you purchased.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: iPod eReader Problem

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your feedback on our Barnes and Noble eReader for the iPhone and the iPod Touch. 

We apologize for the issues with relation to "crashing" or "freezing" that you have experienced using our free eReader on these devices. 

We have identified a potential fix for most crashes. 

Please go to the respective iPod or iPhone site and download the latest Software Updates for their device.

The iPod Touch updates can be found here:  http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html

The iPhone updates can be found here:  http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

If the issue persists after updating please let us know.

Your Boards Admin.,
Michael-V

New User
LinusRain
0 Kudos

Re: ereader for ipod touch keeps crashing.

I have found a work around for the issue of B&N eReader not loading on iPod Touch 3rd Gen. This solution worked for my iPod Touch 64gb with OS v 3.1.2 and B&N eReader v 1.1.2. All you have to do is make sure the before you hit the home button on you iPod Touch while you are reading a book in the eReader you have have to tap on the page you are reading which will bring up the menu at the top that the soft button called "Books" clicking which will take you to the "Books" list, once you are in the books list you hit the "Home" hard button of your iPod Touch to close the app. This works! B&N should note that this work around should not encourage you to delay fixing this bug.

Hope you all find this work around help. Please do let me know.

Contributor
Artful
0 Kudos

Re: ereader for ipod touch keeps crashing.

Thanks LinusRain.  That worked!  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 73 members 537 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: