New User
clcolbert
0 Kudos

eReader won't work on MacBook

I just started using B&N eReader software yesterday on my blackberry where it works perfectly. But when I tried to use it on my MacBook Pro, the software seemed to download and install but when I tried to open a book, all I get is a black "page 0". I've tried downloading and reinstalling both the book and the ereader software with the same results. Is this a feature or a bug?

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

Re: eReader won't work on MacBook

I am having a similar issue I have a macbook have downloaded and installed three times cant get it to work. When I click the icon it acts like it is going to open, but nothing happens. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@both,

Which ebooks were you trying to view/download...?

You can send me a PM with that information and please include your account email address and if possible a phone number so that we can reach out to you if necessary.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
vibeGirl
0 Kudos

My debit card was updated recently, so I have had to re-download all books on file in order to read them.  However, one of my books is now only showing up as a blank Page 0 similar to other people's issues in this post. 

I have tried re-downloading the book several times, but this continues to happen.  How can I fix this so that I can read the book?

Thanks!

Heather

New User
iwill
0 Kudos

amillio, make sure you are using the correct Mac OS.  I have the Mac OS X 1.4 (I believe its called Tiger).  I saw no reason to upgrade to Leopard (1.5) or snow leopard since my OS still worked fine, but apparently the B&N eReader only works on Leopard and above.

I had the same symptoms as you, I downloaded the eReader fine, put it in my applications folder and on my dock.  When i clicked, it bounces once and then nothing.  Turns out its because of the incorrect OS.

I bought my first ebook last night and wanted to try to read it on my mac/blackberry while i waited on my $149 wifi nook to arrive.  I was a little disappointed that it didn't work on Mac Tiger since its not much different than the Leopard, but luckily I have a windows parallel system installed so i just downloaded it on that.  Still haven't been able to find the link on the blackberry bn.com site to download the blackberry reader.  

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

The following are the system requirements for the B&N ereader for mac:

System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.5 or later

• Requires at least 4 MB of free memory

PowerPC Macs not supported at this time

So, if you're using anything prior to 10.5 it won't work, AND, regardless of OS, you must have one of the newer intel-based chipsets (i.e., you must have a core duo imac or a macbook/macbook pro, not anything with the "G" designation (G4, G5) or a powerbook/ibook)

New User
RTBaby
0 Kudos

I am using a new MacBook, OS X version 10.6.4 Intel Core 2 Duo with PLENTY of space available, and I am unable to download the eReader. I get to where it says to drag the icon to the apps folder, when I do that I get (in the apps folder) a circle with a line through it.  Nothing happens when i try to open it, and I have tried to uninstall and reinstall and I keep getting the same thing every time. HELP please!!!  :smileysad:

New User
DisgustedRM
0 Kudos

After purchasing over 70 books on my pc  I have switched to a mac and have found that there is little or poor support for the ereader on mac. I also have issues with purchases taking way to long to show up on my iphone app as well (over 24 hours) when I buy a book I want to read it not mess around waiting on it to show up.

I can get better service without the hassles and issues just by purchasing via Amazon and they do not have reader issues and my purchases show up immediatly.

So vote with your feet!

New User
grogthing
0 Kudos

I have the exact same issue .. using mac os x 10.5.8 .. Nook Reader will not install.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

grogthing wrote:

I have the exact same issue .. using mac os x 10.5.8 .. Nook Reader will not install.

They have updated the original Reader software to "Nook for Mac". I think the problem you're having is that it probably requires Snow Leopard to install. This is listed as a requirement for Nookstudy, but they haven't given system requirements for the new reader software.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

grogthing wrote:

They have updated the original Reader software to "Nook for Mac". I think the problem you're having is that it probably requires Snow Leopard to install. This is listed as a requirement for Nookstudy, but they haven't given system requirements for the new reader software.

I am using MacOS X 10.6.5.  I was able to install Nook for Mac but it's somewhat flaky.  It will NOT download more than 1 issue of the emagazines or enewspapers I subscribe to.  Looks like I have to download the National Geographics to my NC then offload to my Macbook Pro's hard drive (haven't tried that yet, just find Nook for Mac to be less than satisfying).

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Check the BN page for Nat Geo. It is not intended to be read on Nook for Mac or PC:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/National-Geographic/National-Geographic/e/2940000982990/?cds2Pid=35... 

"Read exclusively on these devices & apps
NOOK Color  NOOK for Android (Tablet)"

You can copy it to your computer, but it won't work as it does on your NC.

Can't explain the other problem - I don't have any subscriptions to test. 

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

It reads fine -- the one copy that downloads.  It actually reads better than on my NC due to the larger display.  My issue isnt' with how it reads, it's the fact that Nook for Mac doesn't recognize anything but the most current issue of an esubscription as being part of the library.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
New User
Iacobus
0 Kudos

I've tried downloading it on my MacBook Pro Version 10.6.8 w/ 4GB+ to spare and nothing works. The lovely app icon opens to reveal a reflective Nook logo, with nothing else. The Nook for Mac app would open and then shimmer, finally, as I opened up this forum, it worked. I guess it's trial and error, this is the fifth time I've opened it so...maybe try five times? lol silly apps.

Iacobus
Contributor
HBap
0 Kudos

I posted this a couple of times already on some similar blog boards but I figured I'd just post it again here since I stumbled upon this forum first when I was looking for an answer

NOOK_simple intructions.jpg

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 380 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: