Contributor
crashmstr
0 Kudos

Re: iPad app and eBooks from other B&N Companies: eReader.com and Fictionwise.com

As this message board is for Quality Assurance and Support, I've been hoping for an official response on this issue. Until then, I can't believe that buying from Fictionwise.com, eReader.com, or even the B&N branded store is a good idea.
Contributor
crashmstr
0 Kudos

Re: iPad app and eBooks from other B&N Companies: eReader.com and Fictionwise.com

I've just downloaded and tried out the newly updated Stanza reader that supports the iPad. I've been able to load DRMed eReader files via manual http links. I'll check later today if I can use iTunes to add them.

While this lets me read on my iPad the many DRMed eReader format books that I've purchased, I really would like a formal response from support about the future of the eReader application and the future of Fictionwise.com and eReader.com. Partly because I've really liked the eReader software, but mainly because I've had great experiences buying from Fictionwise and eReader.com in the past, and I'd like to be comfortable with being a customer going forward.

Until then, Fictionwise.com, eReader.com, and Barnes & Noble will be at the bottom of my list for any new books.
Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

I just got the Stanza update last night on my iPad and was able to successfully open my previously-purchased eReader and Fictionwise books. 

I was never able to get a reply from eReader about future support, so I won't be buying any more books from them. 

I like the BN reader for the iPad so far, and have already purchased several ebooks at BN.com. 

Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

While I would like to have one ebook reader software to use for all books, that just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

I'm tickled pink that Stanza for the iPad is out which makes reading books from fictionwise and ereader.com easy again.  I buy ebooks based on price.  If B&N has it cheaper than somewhere else, I'll buy it.  Otherwise, I get it somewhere else.  It is very nice that there are enough ebook reader apps to cover just about everywhere you can buy them that are optimized for the iPad.

Contributor
mknewman
0 Kudos

Well, I for one prefer the eReader app on my PocketPC (HD2) to the BN one so when the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel came out eReader wasn't showing it (I bought the other 9 on eReader) so I bought it from BN.  I downloaded it to the reader as a .epub but decided I'd rather read it on my eReader app so I got on the BN web site and downloaded it as a .pdb, which opened just fine using the normal procedure on eReader (once I loaded it to the Peanut Press directory on the PDA).  I like the themes, much better spacing options, fonts, etc on eReader better.

New User
kulack
0 Kudos

Just adding my "me too".

I'd really like to know the answer to this also. I'd be willing to continue my investment in eBooks but with the fragmented market that B&N has created by not letting us easily use our Fictionwise and eReader books, in the B&N reader, seems to be a pretty bad idea to continue purchasing from them or the B&N main site. Maybe I'll buy some iBooks from Apple or eBooks for the Amazon Kindle app. No reason to stick if I have to change anyway.

B&N please listen.

ckd
Reader 2
ckd
0 Kudos

The iPad app has been updated, and it still cannot load Fictionwise/eReader.com books...and B&N is silent.

Why can't B&N's iPad version of eReader just let iTunes sync our existing Secure eReader books in via iTunes, the way that other iPad/iPhone apps like GoodReader or Stanza can?

Contributor
Splicer
0 Kudos

B&N's iPad eReader can't let us use our existing books because B&N's management wants us to buy new books from B&N. It's called intentional obsolescence. B&N bought Fictionwise and eReader to eliminate the competition. They couldn't buy up and shut down the other companies without inviting some kind of anti-trust action, so they bought them and allowed them to keep running without the capacity to develop their businesses.

What's perplexing is why, now that they own these competitors, B&N doesn't see the opportunity to bring the customers of those competitors into the fold. I guess they just expect we won't take our business elsewhere. Well, I for one am taking my business elsewhere. Until B&N starts treating the customers of its subsidiaries like customers, I'm buying my books—digital and physical—elsewhere.

New User
KRLynn
0 Kudos

I purchased about a dozen titles, several at over $10 each, on the old ereader.com site for use on eReader Pro (obtained from the same site). And I've spent more money than I care to think about in B&N stores and on bn.com. I'm not sure why the inability to download and read my ereader purchases on B&N's version of eReader galls me so much, but it does. What is most annoying is the lack of any explanation or even acknowledgement. I know it won't make any difference, but I'm resolved not to buy another book from B&N that I can get from Borders or amazon.com at close to the same price, or to use B&N's eReader for anything until it honors and enables download/transfer of pre-B&N eReader purchases. Kindle, Stanza, and iBooks are all installed; eReader is no longer on my iPad.

Contributor
Splicer
0 Kudos

Looks like B&N finally allowed the original eReader app to get iPad support. I like Stanza a lot, but I'm glad to get my eReader with the big screen support, especially because Stanza wouldn't show my eReader dictionary.
Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott
0 Kudos

+1

I agree completely.

My largest reservation about buying e-books is the nagging feeling I'll need six different readers on my three different devices (PC, iPod, HTC Evo phone), and will never be able to keep which book is on which reader on which device (although Amazon's Whisper Synch solves the last problem).

Contributor
crashmstr
0 Kudos

Got it installed last night. I was able to connect to the fictiowise store and download books. But what really irritates me is that no one here doing support for customers made any response, there was no announcement that it was coming, to be patient, etc. Just silence. Very disappointing. I don't think that is a good way to take care of your customers.
Frequent Contributor
Robert-J-Sawyer
0 Kudos

So, just to be clear, are you saying that there is now a version of eReader, capable of reading DRM'd eReader content from Fictionwise.com on the iPad?  And that it takes full advantage of the iPad's large screen (rather than doing pixel doubling)?  And that it supports eReader dictionaries?  Does it allow right justification to be turned off?  Thanks!

Contributor
crashmstr
0 Kudos

Yes, they released an update that is a universal binary with support for the iPad, version 2.1.2 (full screen, not pixel doubled). It also claims support for the iPhone 4 Retina Display, but I think it looks a bit worse now on my iPhone 4.

But yes, it works for downloading etc. on the iPad just like the iPhone version worked before it. It also has an option for turning off full justification.

I have not spent much time using it since all of my recent purchases have been for the Kindle app.
Contributor
Splicer
0 Kudos

@Robert-J-Sawyer: yes, that's right. It's not the B&N-branded ereader app, but the original ereader.com/fictionwise ereader app. Right-justification can be turned off and it uses my Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary.

New User
Ebk_Fanatic
0 Kudos

Hi - I 'm also a Fictionwise member. I was able to load the majority of my ebooks on to my nook by just copying them from my harddrive directory. I am running the nook on a PC under Win/Vista. I  first made a separate directory for those books I wished to transfer.  IThis allows me to keep track of the number of books and which titles I wish to copy.

If you have any that are DRM (adobe digital rights) you may have to authorize this device to be able to accept them. You would do that from within the adobe application. You can then copy those as well. With ereader I am not sure since I did more downloads with Fictionwise and other sites that deal in ebooks. I was able to transfer over a 1000 books with no problem. I have had to play with it a little bit since a few books were in both pdf and epub format. If you have both you get a duplicate listing.

Contributor
crashmstr
0 Kudos

With the iPhone and iPad, it is not just as simple as copying files. You generally need to use loading functionality in the app, or app+iTunes.

Also, this discussion was primarily intended to ask/talk about eReader format books with DRM purchased from eReader.com or fictionwise.com, and lack of support in available reader applications on the iPad to "consume" those files.

Now that the "old" eReader app has been updated, we should be "ok" at least for the near term.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: