Contributor
shph
0 Kudos

looking up a word

When I highlight a word in nook for PC, the context menu offers two choices, "look up" and "look up "look up with wikipedia". Sometimes wikipedia is useful, but it's not a dictionary which is what I really need. When I select "look up", a warning pops up saying "please choose a reference book", but there is no dialog for doing so. Nor is there anything about reference books in settings. Where are the reference books I can choose from, and how do I do so? Thanks!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Re: looking up a word

Did you download the "Pocket Dictionary" that was automatically provided in your B&N account?

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Once you have a downloaded copy of the MW Pocket dictionary, you may have to open it once to set it as the reference.  Theoretically other dictionaries from B&N should work, but....,

And be for warned, the pocket dictionary is pretty mediocre.

Contributor
shph
0 Kudos

I had downloaded and used the MW pocket dictionary on the nook that is also registered with my account, but had not downloaded to this PC. So I did and it works now. 

The warning message said to CHOOSE a reference book. I wonder if this means others can be purchased, if not now, in the future?

Thanks for the assistance!

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Actually the feature used to work with a number of dictionaries.  Notabaly all the MW dictionaries that were sold by the now B&N subsidiary eReader.com, including the Websters unabridged 3d edition.  But they screwed it up when the went to version 2 and have never fixed it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 547 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: