Reader
dustydog
0 Kudos

not able to read epub books on my nook

I followed suggested fixes from these forums, no luck.  

I called nook support.  The tech told me I could not read the downloaded books from my local library on my nook because of an encryption code.

Have any of you encountered this?  Are there some ebooks you can read from your local library   and others that you can't?  The tech seemed to suggest it is something that can change from book publisher to author, etc, on and on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1

Re: not able to read epub books on my nook

dustydog wrote:

I followed suggested fixes from these forums, no luck.  

I called nook support.  The tech told me I could not read the downloaded books from my local library on my nook because of an encryption code.

Have any of you encountered this?  Are there some ebooks you can read from your local library   and others that you can't?  The tech seemed to suggest it is something that can change from book publisher to author, etc, on and on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What suggestions did you actually follow. 
1. First you need to make sure that the nook is registered and has a charge
2. Install Adobe Digital Edition on your desktop and make sure you assign a user id (you will need this)
3. Download book from library
4. Connect nook to you desktop and launch ADE
5. ADE will show the nook icon on the lower left panel
6. Drag the library downloaded file to ADE, it should the book and show it in your ADE library
7. Drag the image of the book to you nook icon.
8. Close ADE and eject/disconnect nook
9. Go to View My Documents and check for new content the book should open
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Very nice tutorial, Very Nice indeed

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Contributor
Lanier-1
0 Kudos

What exactly is adobe digital edition? This is a new language to me.

Thanks

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Adobe is a major producer of software.  Things like flash, Acrobat (PDF FILES).  Adobe digital editions supports DRM (Digital rights Management) for Ebooks etc. 

B&N, SONY, and most Libraries (all those that use OVERDRIVE) have decided to use it for their ebooks.  ADE currently doesn't current support B&N's DRM that uses your name and credit card, but it has been announced that that will be included in the next release.  That will mean you can put B&N books on other platforms supported by ADE.

To read about ADE and to download it see their site at

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Contributor
denisec
0 Kudos

I had great luck with those instructions for borrowing books from the library.. i have borrowed 4 so far EPUB and pdf with no problems.

New User
EbookCoverGuy
0 Kudos

Great step by step instructions. Even I could follow it.

Steve
http://ebookcovertutorial.com
Free Tutorials
Contributor
edu500acEC
0 Kudos

I am having a slightly different problem. The Nook substitutes weird characters for certain letters. For instance, it replaces a Spanish ñ for hyphen. This does not make the text unreadable, but is annoying. Of course I found many other problems with my Nook. For instance, the dictionary does not work correctly; it fails to discover the entry of many verb forms, plurals, etc. The Nook did not accepted my address without a zipcode (rural area). It does not allow me to buy books when on vacation in France, China, Greece, etc.  It is very hard to read on sport grounds or on a beach. There are a lot of ghosts from previous pages. It is very hard to highlight text with the touch screen. The Nook refused to accept my Visa credit card on the ground that the address is incorrect, but it does not accept the correct address, etc. However, I received a suggestion on a Forum that solved all my problems. The suggestion was: Return the Nook and buy a Kindle. I did not returned the Nook, but I bought a Kindle. The Nook is great for reading pdf, since it allows one to change font sizes. For everything else, use the Kindle. This address all issues. By the way, if you want to use the Kindle for reading epub, there are two solutions. You can get an application from third parties, or you can deDRM the file, and convert it to mobi. As for pdf, the Nook is much better than the Kindle.

New User
ParaHiker90
0 Kudos

I get as far as Step 9 -- open the book, and it doesn't open.

I get an error that it's an unsupported format.

I double checked to make sure there weren't any extra dots. File names are" Booktitle.epub

Any suggestions?

Nook 2e

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

ParaHiker90 wrote:

I get as far as Step 9 -- open the book, and it doesn't open.

I get an error that it's an unsupported format.

I double checked to make sure there weren't any extra dots. File names are" Booktitle.epub

Any suggestions?

Nook 2e

If it is a PDB file then the Nook Simple Touch will not be able to read it.

New User
ParaHiker90
0 Kudos

IDK what you mean. I'm talking about *.epub files. Anywho, I got it to work. I deleted all the books, reauthorization in ADE, reinstalled the books and it worked. Only problem now is duplication. When I drag the book to the Nook in ADE two files install. One that works, and one "booktitle.epub.annot" that is not loadable. IDK how or why, but it shows in my Digital Editions folder and I have to go into VIA my computer/Nook/digital editions and manually delete the .annot files. This didn't happen before I did the deleting and reauthorization.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

ParaHiker90 wrote:
IDK what you mean. I'm talking about *.epub files. Anywho, I got it to work. I deleted all the books, reauthorization in ADE, reinstalled the books and it worked. Only problem now is duplication. When I drag the book to the Nook in ADE two files install. One that works, and one "booktitle.epub.annot" that is not loadable. IDK how or why, but it shows in my Digital Editions folder and I have to go into VIA my computer/Nook/digital editions and manually delete the .annot files. This didn't happen before I did the deleting and reauthorization.

PDB files are palm data base files. This used to be one of the most used formats for books. B&N has dropped support for this format on the NC and NST. The booktitle.epub.annot is for annotations in that file. Bookmarks highlights and notes.

New User
Peanut09
0 Kudos

I'm having a slightly different problem.  I follow your steps and everything works except that when I go on my nook to read the book, I get an error message that says "User not activated".  Can you help with this?  I've registered my nook and have an Adobe account id that I set up when I downloaded the Digital Editions...

Thanks

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Peanut09 wrote:

I'm having a slightly different problem.  I follow your steps and everything works except that when I go on my nook to read the book, I get an error message that says "User not activated".  Can you help with this?  I've registered my nook and have an Adobe account id that I set up when I downloaded the Digital Editions...

Thanks

You need to connect your Nook to your computer and find the folder that is named ,adobe-digital-editions this is the folder that contains the registration information for ADE delete it. Eject your Nook from your computer(This will help prevent file corruption when writing files to the Nook.) Unplug your Nook and then plug it back in and ADE should ask you to reregister your Nook, This should fix your problem. 

New User
bonniew88
0 Kudos

When I connect my nook color to the pc I get a popup that says it was unable to find the driver.  The Device Manager lists it so the pc knows its there.  I tell the pc to searh for a driver and it comes back empty.  Can you help me find the driver.  I have ADE installed but I don't want to read ebooks on my pc.  Thanks.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

How old is your PC? and what version of windows are you using?

New User
ejw87
0 Kudos

I am downloading a book from the library. I have succesfully downloaded the book into my adobe digital editions. I then have found the book file in my documents and dragged into the nook file. I go to my nook and try to open the book and it says "this book has been returned. Loan not on record." This cannot be true because I just downloaded the book today and on Adobe it says I still have 14 days. Please help! Thank you!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ejw87 wrote:

I am downloading a book from the library. I have succesfully downloaded the book into my adobe digital editions. I then have found the book file in my documents and dragged into the nook file. I go to my nook and try to open the book and it says "this book has been returned. Loan not on record." This cannot be true because I just downloaded the book today and on Adobe it says I still have 14 days. Please help! Thank you!

You have to transfer it to the Nook from within ADE, not using Windows Explorer.  When you connect the Nook, one of the "shelves" in ADE will be your Nook.  While in ADE, drag the book to the Nook shelf and it will copy it there.  ADE send the expiration information with the book when you drag it to the Nook.  If you use Windows Explorer you only get the book, so the Nook thinks it's expired.  The link in my signature has specific instructions on how to get a library book on to the Nook.

New User
BJGuser
0 Kudos

This is a massively annoying problem, and it's shocking that B&N hasn't fixed it so far.

Try downloading the app and opening it directly from the dmg window, rather than moving it to your application folder. For some reason, it opens most consistently this way. It's annoying to have to go to the site to download the app each time you want to use it, but at least it will open.

And, contrary to what the tech told you—again, shocking that the tech is so wrong—your library will show up on your mac, and it should all sync so that when you open the book on your device, it's opening where you stopped on your mac.

B&N Support: If you are reading this, I don't understand why this problem hasn't been fixed yet, it's been going on for ages!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 257 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: