New User
wyomama
0 Kudos

preorder not available on Nook Android app

Hi,

I preordered a title, which is now available.  However when I tap "download" in my Library, it says 'this title is a pre-order item and is not yet available for download"  I have tried archiving and unarchiving, and that did not work. 

HELP!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: preorder not available on Nook Android app

wyomama wrote:

Hi,

I preordered a title, which is now available.  However when I tap "download" in my Library, it says 'this title is a pre-order item and is not yet available for download"  I have tried archiving and unarchiving, and that did not work. 

HELP!

Login to your B&N account on the B&N website, and go to your B&N library to check if the book is indeed available for download in your library. It probably is not available yet.

New User
TTMitch
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem as wyomama - in this case it's 2 books that should be available.  Reamde by Neal Stephenson and After the Battle of Starship Hill by Vernor Vinge.  The Android App is version 2.7.2.12 installed on a Xoom.  I can download the books to my PC but I want them on the Xoom.  I tried to sideload them to the Xoom but it won't recognize them that way either.

New User
TTMitch
0 Kudos

hey wyomama i just got it to work on my Xoom.  i went to settings and cleared the data on the B&N Nook App. I had to re-sign into my account but now the book is available.

New User
AndroidNookUser2

With Android (gingerbread) I also received the same error message with a pre-order book, after the title became available. Going into Settings, then Applications, then Manage Applications, then select B&N Nook, then under "Storage" click the "Clear data" button. Note that this will erase all books you have on your device, and they will need to be downloaded again from your online Library. Not elegant but it works. Definitely a bug B&N will need to fix.

Reader
mandikaye
0 Kudos

Thank you thank you thank you! I've been trying to get Neptune's Son by Rick Riordan on my Droid all week! This worked.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

I have some extra symptoms for you: I got the email saying that my preorder of Vinge's The Children of the Sky was available.  When I tapped on the book in the Nook App, it claimed it wasn't available and to check the B&N website.  I hit the "update" circley button and the "Download" button appeared over the book.  I hit that, and I got a briefer notice that the book wasn't available yet.

On a lighter note, magazines show up individually instead of all smooshed together!  Thanks!

Dennis

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

... but, as suggested above, clearing data made the book available.  Of course, the app had to mutter to itself for awhile to reload the markers for all of my books, and it (only briefly) listed magazines as singletons.

Dennis

Reader 4
SaraFL
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with Son of Neptune. I had signed out of the app and signed back in. This allowed me to download the book, but I had to download all my other books, too.  But, it happened again for 2 other titles. Star Wars Riptide and The Color of Magic. I did the clear data and that worked, but I am worried that I am going to have to do this again when my next pre-ordered title becomes available.

Frequent Contributor
KD67

Maybe its just me, but I don't understand the concept of Pre-Ordering and Ebook???  Are you all afraid that they will run out of digital copies? 

Contributor
theGlasswalker
0 Kudos

For some it is a memory thing (ordering it so they don't forget to later) but for others (like me) they pre-order because the price has dropped and they want to grab it before it goes back up.
New User
gethane
0 Kudos

The archive/unarchive thing was not working for me.

I finally starting archiving a bunch of books from my android app and I got a few "can't sync" messages, but then I think the archiving forced a "good" sync from my device to the bn store, and then miraculously I could download the book.

I hate this pre-order business. My nook died 14 months after I got it. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Kindle. I've tried for so long to be a loyal barnes and noble customer, out of principle, but they make it so difficult. Problems that last for YEARS. Seriously? They can't get an app and pre-order and store to work correctly?

New User
Aramist
0 Kudos

thank you. I was having the same problem and it works now after following your directions

New User
SporkWitch
0 Kudos

Getting the same issue with the new Anita Blake novel, "Kiss the Dead," on my Xoom.  Will try the listed workaround when I get home, but this definitely needs attention and a fix, because my internet sucks, and redownloading all my books is a massive pain in the ass.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn

A workaround for getting the preorders once they are available  is that rather than signing out and signing back in (which erases all your books) you can uninstall and reinstall the app.  When you sign back in to the reinstalled app, all your old books will still be there and you can download the new ones.  Almost none of the tech support people know this and they still give you the wrong information.

I really don't want to redownload the 800 I want to keep active every week!!!

But I wish they would fix the app. (Kindle preorders don't have this problem in the Kindle app. but I don't like the Amazon ecology - B&N may drive me to it yet.)

I received a message yesterday from B&N STILL with the wrong information

Here is my response with the correct information.

Mike
PLEASE READ ORIGINAL MESSAGE!!!!

Your advice is WRONG

I own about 1000 (one THOUSAND) Nookbooks.(about 200 archived)

I have about 60 or 70 preorders.(I usually have something between 2 and 5 books become available a week.)

If I uninstall and reinstall the software (which is burdensome, and what I am complaining about) at least the 800 I have downloaded onto my tablet and phone stay there and are still available when I sign in to my reinstalled application.

If I were to do what you suggest, I would have to REDOWNLOAD 800 (EIGHT HUNDRED) books every week.

PLEASE FIX THE APPLICATION!
There are a lot of complaints on the apps fourm.

(WRONG INFORMATION STILL BEING SENT)

At 10:06 AM 7/5/2012, you wrote:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email on the about downloading pre-ordered NOOK
Books.

You do not have to re-install the NOOK for Android application everytime
you try to download a pre-ordered NOOK Book. Simply refresh the NOOK for
Android Library by signing in and out of the application.

Please follow these easy steps:

? Open NOOK for Android by tapping on the NOOK icon.
? If you are not already signed in, select the Sign In option.
? After you sign in, tap Menu on the bottom of your Android.
? Select the Log Out option and tap to Confirm.
? Sign back in to the NOOK application using your registered email
address and password for your BN.com online account.

We hope you find this information helpful.  If you require further
assistance, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), Monday through
Friday from 8AM to 11PM EST, Saturdays and Sundays 9AM to 11PM and
select option 2 for NOOK Support.

Sincerely,

Mike
Customer Service Representative - Digital Support
Barnes & Noble
http://www.bn.com/
Visit our NOOK Support site for the latest updates and downloads at:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/

New User
GAstorino
0 Kudos

I to have been subjected to the BN Nook Android app bug.  You should not have to refresh/log out and reload hundreds of books just for a preorder.  Insane.  And how come Kindle app keeps the covers on the system and BN Nook Ap does not.  If I am at the park or beach or something without internet access then I am looking at 200 little gray icons with white titles and trying to figure out which book is what is nuts.  Fix that as well.

Reader 4
lanlynk
0 Kudos

I have an Android tablet with the Nook app on it. Same problem with a couple of pre-orders I had.

I went into the Nook/Contents folder, chose Select All, copied all my downloaded books and pasted them in a different folder elsewhere. Then I signed out and signed back in with the app, closed it. Finally, I retrieved my copied books, and pasted them back into the Nook/Contents folder. When I opened the app after that, it recognized the books, and I didn't have to download them again.

This is still an annoying workaround, but wasn't as time consuming as uninstalling/installing the app itself or clearing data and downloading books again. (If you don't have extra room to copy the books to another folder, just cut them instead.)

Inspired Contributor
Charles-R
0 Kudos

Romsfuulynn's advice (to uninstall and reinstall the app) worked great for me. I had to sign in again, and wait for it to update my library info, but all the books I had downloaded were still there, and I could get my PR orders too.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: preorder not available on Nook Android app - fix in new app

The new app released yesterday contains a pre-order fix.

After installing the app the books are loaded anew (from the device, you do not have to download them again). Alle my pre-order books get a pre-order banner, so that is looking good.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Re: preorder not available on Nook Android app - fix in new app

YES!! This is a huge fix for me, and fixes a weekly annoyance

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 520 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: