Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

1.3 available now!!!

The update is here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/

download (or turn on wifi) if you want it...turn off your wifi if you don't!

Jeremy

Contributor
cdundas
0 Kudos

Re: 1.3 available now!!!

Landscape mode availability - sadly no:smileyindifferent:

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

But sure am glad they got rid of the cookbook. Boy, was that a problem. Nothing else mattered at all. Kind of sad.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Boy is downloading (for side loading) slow right now. Must be a rush on! :-)

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Wow!  I would have expected to see a lot of NC owners doing a little Martha Reeves and the Vandellas outside, holding their cookbookless nooks high and really celebrating.

I guess it really wasn't that big of a deal after all.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Wow!  I would have expected to see a lot of NC owners doing a little Martha Reeves and the Vandellas outside, holding their cookbookless nooks high and really celebrating.

Just wait for the complaints by those who were waiting to make the chocolate curls and lost the recipe and video.  Uh oh!

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

Waaaaaaah!  I shoulda BOUGHT the cookbook....oh, wait...I still can do that! Whew!

Nookycooky, the one and only cookbook lover :smileyvery-happy:

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Martha and the Vandellas...Bwaaahahahahaha...you crack me up! 

Contributor
suzyqu
0 Kudos

After all the problems with the last update I was tempted to leave my NC off until I heard it was safe, but perhaps since I have the n2a card, I can use android if the NC gets screwed up?
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

OK, I now have 2 sample books that I never requested...?? What is up with that?

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

OK, I now have 2 sample books that I never requested...?? What is up with that?

Same here, I had already deleted the samples that came with the account and they all showed up again.  But no biggie, they were all easy to delete again...  as well as the cookbook  :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

...and as a side note, I'd like to report that, at least for me, I've seen a definite performance boost. Seems a little zippier, and YouTube videos have sound/video perfectly synced  (was always off for me before).

I'm curious if anyone has tested MP4 vids yet (I have none) to see if the missing frames glitch is fixed and lumped under "general performance improvements".

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

...and as a side note, I'd like to report that, at least for me, I've seen a definite performance boost. Seems a little zippier, and YouTube videos have sound/video perfectly synced  (was always off for me before).

I'm curious if anyone has tested MP4 vids yet (I have none) to see if the missing frames glitch is fixed and lumped under "general performance improvements".

Granted I never really had a big issue with the video playback (I manually convert mine via Handbrake so I can adjust the output to make it work better), but it looks smooth. Someone who used a lumped converter (DVDCatalyst, for example) might need to confirm.

Flash videos are working great now, as well.

Frequent Contributor
fenderbender
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Schwa wrote:

Granted I never really had a big issue with the video playback (I manually convert mine via Handbrake so I can adjust the output to make it work better), but it looks smooth. Someone who used a lumped converter (DVDCatalyst, for example) might need to confirm.

Flash videos are working great now, as well.

Toastr,

What settings are you using in handbrake to eliminate the "jumpiness" on your videos? I have tried everything since the 1.2 update and have not had any luck.

FB

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My NC is a bit faster too, wonder if they overclocked it some..  I was hoping they'd let us delete those stupid wallpapers and video...but nooooo...  Side note, my web browser keeps on crashing now.  Also I noticed the sounds/speaker is louder..or is it just me???

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976

[ Edited ]

fenderbender wrote:

Toastr,

What settings are you using in handbrake to eliminate the "jumpiness" on your videos? I have tried everything since the 1.2 update and have not had any luck.

FB

There's nothing in particular that I've found that eliminates the jumping - I think it has more to do with file size than anything.

My current presets for NOOKcolor exporting are:

Anamorphic: off

Width: 720

Hight: Keep aspect ratio

Decomb: Off

Detelecine: Off

Deinterlace: On (type depends on the style of movie)

Framerate: 29.97

Audio Tracks: Single track (delete any extras), AAC (faac) format, Stero mixdown, 48 Samplerate, 128 Bitrate

Maximum B Frames: 3

CABAC Entropy: Off

8x8 Transform: Off

Weighted P-Frames: Off

All other options on default.

Like I said, my goal is mainly to make manageable file sizes, so it doesn't give you HD video or anything shiny like that, but it isn't jumpy and looks nice enough for my use.

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob

I just installed the update.  Kudos to B&N.  Not only does my wireless still work but that darned unusable, unfinished, unwanted cookbook is gone!    

The only problem so far was that the touch screen didn't work on the second reboot. 

I can't say that I've noticed any improvement in the features I use the most, but the cookbook is gone!  I'm anxious to see if the wireless works better at the hospital tomorrow, but even if it doesn't, the cookbook is gone!

Ding, dong, the cookbook's gone!

Frequent Contributor
fenderbender
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

fenderbender wrote:

Toastr,

FB

There's nothing in particular that I've found that eliminates the jumping - I think it has more to do with file size than anything.

My current presets for NOOKcolor exporting are:

Anamorphic: off

Width: 720

Hight: Keep aspect ratio

Decomb: Off

Detelecine: Off

Deinterlace: On (type depends on the style of movie)

Framerate: 29.97

Audio Tracks: Single track (delete any extras), AAC (faac) format, Stero mixdown, 48 Samplerate, 128 Bitrate

Maximum B Frames: 3

CABAC Entropy: Off

8x8 Transform: Off

Weighted P-Frames: Off

All other options on default.

Like I said, my goal is mainly to make manageable file sizes, so it doesn't give you HD video or anything shiny like that, but it isn't jumpy and looks nice enough for my use.

Well, I guess I will double check my settings. I'm not trying for shiny either, but the jumping is still there no matter what I do. Thanks for the tips.

FB

Wordsmith
doncr

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

What do you think caused that earthquake today? :smileywink:

Correspondent
dave47

doncr wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

What do you think caused that earthquake today? :smileywink:

A disturbance in the force.  :smileywink:

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.