Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Re: $199 price for Amazon Fire? Game on BN

Just to clarify, he specifically said they are NOT talking with Hulu about an app.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

Just to clarify, he specifically said they are NOT talking with Hulu about an app.

Sorry, I don't know why I was thinking Hulu there, but that I had heard rumors that Amazon was trying to buy them.  Don't know how true it is, but it was a rumor I read somewhere recently.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Amazon is also rumored to be buying the streaming side of Netflix (assuming they have any subscribers left by the end of the year).  Rumors are just that until there is an announcement.  But there are many apps that are not in the Amazon App Store yet that Amazon execs have claimed will be there at launch.  We will know more in six weeks or so.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Re: o/t how to "pin" books and apps to home screen

Thinking about it now, I think the pin in place feature could work like this: when holding down on the book or app on the home screen to bring up the pop up menu, have an additional option to "pin in place" or "pin to ribbon" similar to windows 7. When holding down on a pinned item, the menu bar could give an option to "unpin". I guess the folder thing isn't really needed, since the organizing function is in the library as shelves. Regarding the shop however: As the nook store started to get more and more categories of content- movies, music, apps, etc. I think what makes sense is, in the library, to have a toggle that allows you to toggle between the shop for that category and that library, so integrate the shop a little more with the library in a way that feels more immediate. So for example, just as right now you have books, magazines, newspapers, applications, add music, videos as well. And then when in the newspapers library, be able to push a button to jump immediately to the newspapers shop... So in other words, make the barnes and noble store a convenient extension of each of my nook libraries in each content category.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

Re: o/t how to "pin" books and apps to home screen

Another feature that would be good: not so much a feature, but more a web design thing. These forums, and the nook community: make the barnes and noble forums an app or a link from the nook website / homepage. One of the little known facts about the success of eBay was, in the early days, eBay developed a huge following not primarily from marketing, but just through bulletin boards like this one... There were highly active eBay communities that started to form on bulletin boards like this, which became knowledge sharing and feedback for the product, but also grew into the core loyal users for the site and marketplace... This is already happening here, but the site is not the most immediately accessible directly from the nook device right now... I am writing on this board from an iPhone where I have the forum bookmarked. If they made an app, and encouraged the growth of the discussion board community directly on the nook, that might make customers invested in the community of nook users and be loyal to the nook ecosystem vs. Kindle... If you give nook users a forum for discussing improvements to the product, along with in store service, and a forum where users could meet new "nook friends" through a like minded community of readers, discuss upcoming events at the bricks and mortar stores, you would build a sense of place on the net as well as in store that us tied to the device.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Amazon is also rumored to be buying the streaming side of Netflix (assuming they have any subscribers left by the end of the year).  Rumors are just that until there is an announcement.  But there are many apps that are not in the Amazon App Store yet that Amazon execs have claimed will be there at launch.  We will know more in six weeks or so.

Amazon was also rumored to be buying BN. And Apple. And probably the US government (oh wait, they already do that to keep theur tax exempt status).

Scuttlebutt says whatever you want. Show me the Netflix app on the Kindle and I'll happily agree that Amazon is opening up their platform to a modicum of competition.

Frequent Contributor
dave50

www.dailysteals.com is currently (09/30/2011) offering the Nook Color for $149.99

I'd much prefer expandable local storage via sd card to "unlimited" cloud storage...

Contributor
BeckyK44
0 Kudos

Maybe someone has already posted this info in this (long) thread, but check out this little blurb on CNET about the Kindle Fire.  Apparently, Amazon will keep track of every website you visit with their new Kindle Fire Silk browser.  Talk about privacy invasion.  Hopefully, B&N does not do this.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20113387-264/amazon-silk-one-step-forward-two-steps-back/?tag=cont...

Watching you on the Web
The other fact of proxy browsing is that a third party is getting in the middle of your browsing activity. It might be a valuable intermediary in many ways--speed is good--but it's an intermediary, and that comes with some baggage.

That's because Amazon is browsing the Web on your behalf. It knows what sites you visit because it's doing the visiting for you.

That gives Amazon potentially very interesting information. What products are you searching for? What movie previews are you watching? Sounds like something an e-commerce giant might like to know, for both individual and collective data, when it comes time to place that next ad on a Kindle or drop that promotion into your inbox.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Regarding pricing competitively: not sure what the cost of manufacturing a nook color is, but actually, in a way, Barnes and Noble still has an edge when you think about it: they already have two successful products in the Nook Simple touch and Nook Color they have had a year to profit from. If you think about it, technology wise, these two devices are not really yet obsolete, in fact the specs of these two nooks are still quite similar to the newest Kindles so all Amazon has done is come out with products that have caught up to the Nook, a little bit better but not to an extent where they have made existing nooks non competitive... If you think about it, maybe what BN can now do is this: price these two existing nook devices at cost, if possible, and undercut the new kindles, even if it is just to sell off existing stock. And then launch the new versions of the nook, which maybe have some hardware advantages over the new kindled at a price on par or slightly more than the new kindles (maybe match the non ad supported kindles). In this way, the Nook ends up splitting their product line between higher and lower priced options, all of which are competitive with the new kindles... So in other words, in having more options for the consumer, they can price differentiate to capture both the bargain shopper and the person willing to pay more for the newest tech. Maybe the pricing of the nook line could be like this: $79 ad supported simple touch $99 non ad supported nook simple touch (existing product). At this price, the nook simple touch is a way better deal when you think about it... This is the same as the kindle touch pretty much in technology but at the cost of a non ad supported device. The nook simple touch is actually better in That it combines both the button page turn with the touch screen so the reader gas options. $150 nook color... (current year old model) If the daily steals site can do it, presumably BN could do it as well. The existing nook color would have the latest new OS upgrade available to the new nook coming out. $250 new nook encore product, equal processor to the kindle fire but running a more advanced gingerbread, and the SD card slot, and comes with a free two year barnes and noble membership, putting it on equal footing price wise with the fire... $350 nook acclaim product, the higher end model that maybe is a larger screen, or has other gaming capabilities that the kindle fire doesn't. This is a better machine than the kindle fire, and still at a deep discount to an iPad. Basically in this way, BN basically beats the kindle fire on the low end and on the higher end... At the low end. Somebody looking for the lowest price option still has the year old nook color to almost match the kindle fire in tech. Or, somebody looking for the top of the line reader, can choose the nook acclaim product because they want the best there is...
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

[ Edited ]
Another differentiator for BN has been design IMHO. One of the advantages of their bricks and mortar locations is being able to demo products, and sell all kinds of designer cases and cool accessories along side their nooks... Having a showroom is huge... It's a service advantage that is partly why apple has done so well... If BN can make the acclaim jointly offered by Gamestop, that would be yet another nook showroom and service station for gaming, and another place to sell more gamer focused gear and accessories, and service a different type of customer base. Smart move in my opinion... Position your product towards two different demographics of customer... They could also get Gamestop maybe to help foot some of the R&D bill on the tech and focus on gaming aspects.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Doing a bit of research on the upcoming Gamestop tablet, I think this could make alot of sense, having a gaming version of the nook... I don't know if this is what they are doing, but it would be a genius competitive move IMHO... Btw, I noticed Gamestop was actually originally part of BN, and spun off, so that gives this speculation alot of cred IMHO... There are even Gamestop stores located adjacent to barnes and noble I think...
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Maybe you can have: Nook Color "the readers tablet", and, Nook Acclaim "the gamers tablet" Both of which can read books as well as play games...? And any nook could give in store benefits like read or play for free in either store? Something else that is interesting... Gamestop has started selling the iPad and iPods in their stores... This is an cool development... They are not trying to compete head to head with apple. Here is an interesting idea: what if you had a joint Gamestop and BN nook platform, and in both Gamestop and BN they started selling Apple iPADs as the high end full tablet reader option to their nook customers. Basically be non competitive with apple, but offer in store apple products as well as an option to read nook books... In this way, their stores would become a showroom for the full range of nook reader options including the iPad, and you would have in the showroom both the iPad and the nook, and only the kindle would be the kid not invited to the party, left in the dust... In a way, the nook is not really trying to compete with the iPad... They at different price points devices serving different needs...
Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BeckyK44 wrote:

Maybe someone has already posted this info in this (long) thread, but check out this little blurb on CNET about the Kindle Fire.  Apparently, Amazon will keep track of every website you visit with their new Kindle Fire Silk browser.  Talk about privacy invasion.  Hopefully, B&N does not do this.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20113387-264/amazon-silk-one-step-forward-two-steps-back/?tag=cont...

Watching you on the Web
The other fact of proxy browsing is that a third party is getting in the middle of your browsing activity. It might be a valuable intermediary in many ways--speed is good--but it's an intermediary, and that comes with some baggage.

That's because Amazon is browsing the Web on your behalf. It knows what sites you visit because it's doing the visiting for you.

That gives Amazon potentially very interesting information. What products are you searching for? What movie previews are you watching? Sounds like something an e-commerce giant might like to know, for both individual and collective data, when it comes time to place that next ad on a Kindle or drop that promotion into your inbox.

You are aware that those that purchase the Amazon Fire have the option of using another browser if they so choose.  The Amazon App Store offers currently 9 - 11 web browsers.  Opera offers their mini and mobile web browser there as well as there are some others to choose from.

On my iphone even though apple has safari on it, I've downloaded Opera Mini and Mercury.  So you are not limited to just the web browser that comes with the device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Nallia wrote:

The Kindle Fire sounds great on paper, but I want nothing to do with it.  I realize some people don't care, but this is a huge deal breaker for me:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/09/28/amazon-kindle-fires-silk-browser-sounds-privacy-alarm-bel...

Exactly. Everything is predicated on your trust of a company that is hyper paranoid about you buying things anywhere else. Personally, and I am not paranoid myself, I have seen way too many things created for one purpose get used for another. I don't surf anywhere to be embarrassed about, but that is my business. And, frankly what is then to stop them from making it more difficult to browse on certain other websites. This is kind of the thing that Apple could use to close the Amazon loophole. It would be interesting to know how much slower surfing is without using Amazon as a go between, but the vast majority of users will never know or care about this. You get people here upset that B&N has some personal info and cc numbers, but this is potentially far worse.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

PeterDe wrote:
If you want misleading advertisement you need to go no further then the top of this page, you will see stuff that is impossible at the moment in that photo.
You imply a multitude of things that cannot be done, where I see only one; the collage of book covers spread like a fan. Seriously, how many people want their books to look like that? Otherwise, I see nothing else that cannot be done. Advertising is advertising. I get grocery ads weekly that show perfect produce for sale. Perfect tomatoes big as a pumpkin. Garlic cloves the size of a baseball. Symmetrical spuds. There is no produce at the grocery store that looks like that. The ad for the pc I bought showed a monitor with MS Office Professional and some big named game on it. My computer had neither. My boyfriend lusted after a model on the cover of a recent magazine. She was perfect. And she was photoshopped to excess. It's everywhere, so I would also take with a grain of salt the photos posted in ads for the OnFire.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Yeah, it's sort of like the photo of a Big Mac on the menu board at McDonalds... I look at the perfect lettuce, hamburger patty and bun picture of a Big Mac but don't really think that is what mine will look like... :smileytongue: still tastes the same!
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

One more thing BN could do to stay competitive with the kindle: make side loading easier, if just to access library ebooks easier... Maybe that might mean making a deal with adobe to somehow package adobe digital editions with the nook? Or at least sell a nook customized version of adobe digital editions in store?
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

BeckyWC wrote:

You are aware that those that purchase the Amazon Fire have the option of using another browser if they so choose.  The Amazon App Store offers currently 9 - 11 web browsers.  Opera offers their mini and mobile web browser there as well as there are some others to choose from.

On my iphone even though apple has safari on it, I've downloaded Opera Mini and Mercury.  So you are not limited to just the web browser that comes with the device.

You're making the assumption that everything in the Amazon store will be available on the device.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I am one of the more strident posters on this issue. Certainly using the carrot to encourage loyalty, like prime is a plus for many. A look at big tech firms historically, I feel, shows that we are better served when they are not allowed to lock people in. Periods of near monopoly by one firm allow them to gouge cusomers, and slow innovation I am convinced. I feel Microsofts OS dominance for much of the past 30 years for example has not been a plus. Compare it to browsers where innovation has been steady, especially since being uncoupled from Windows.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

BeckyWC wrote:

The fact is, most people probably won't bother to download a different browser and most will probably be completely unaware that Amazon is tracking every single thing they do through Silk.  That some people will be aware enough to use a different browser doesn't excuse or justify such a huge security issue.  There is no possible defense.  Period.

As I said before, I realize that some people just don't care about their online security in regards to this device.  But it is a dealbreaker for me and will be for others.