Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

3-panel home page--Use?

Although I have searched my NOOKColor User Guide and these boards and googled this topic--I probably am not using the current terminology in my searches--I cannot figure out HOW to put items on a specific panel of the three panel home page. So WHY are there three of them? I can navigate among the panels just file.  That's all explained in the manual very clearly, but why would I ever want to do that?  There's nothing on panel 1 and nothing on panel 3.

Are the multiple panels simply extra real estate for the scrolling daily shelf? Are they meant to provide extra real estate for items I attach to my home page--if I have filled up the center (default) panel, will new items automatically go into one of the other panels? 

If I owned a smart phone (other Android device) would I know this?  Would reading an Android manual help me?  (I think I tried that once and became confused by trying to sort through all the phone specific stuff.)

Oh, and I would really appreciate it--even if you recommend that I read some user guide--if someone could provide a succinct explanation of the use of the "three panel" homepage.  Inquiring minds want to know!:smileywink:

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Re: 3-panel home page--Use?

[ Edited ]

You can touch and drag an icon to any panel. Just drag it over to one side or the other and the panel will change. It's so you can fit more stuff! :smileyhappy: I haven't tried this, but I suppose if you added enough stuff to home it would overflow itself to the other panels. I've always only manually dragged them before that's ever happened, though.

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

There isn't a standard way to do it so you get to make it up yourself.  The first Droid operating system that I had only featured one homescreen.  Everything that you need is stored in the applications screen or the libary so you really don't need more than one to use the device.  Some people just like to have more things out and ready to go rather than having to open a drawer or screen or whatever to get them out.  Thus the multiple screen OSs came along.  I use 3 on my Android phone.  The middle one holds the apps that I use most--social media, browser, mail, etc.  The one on the left holds mostly media items --links to news, book apps, audible, etc.  The one on the right holds the gallery, camera, and music apps and anything related to photos and music.  

You can organize yours however makes sense to you.  On my nook, I only use the middle one but if you wanted to keep a lot of books close and hand, you might fill a whole page with books and use another one for apps.  You might also use them for photos. Be free!

Wordsmith
alliecatTX

I use one for books that are next on my list to read, one for apps, and one for my kids' books and apps.  Another easy way to get your items on it is to just go to whichever of the 3 pages you want the item on, and then drag the item up from the scrolling list at the bottom.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

OK.  I thought I was pretty good with "dragging and dropping" and "swiping", but for the life of me, I cannot drag anything from one panel to the next.  If a try a quick drag (kind of a swipe-like drag), the panel changes, but the item I am trying to drag simply hangs on the edge of the center panel.  If I try a slow, deliberate drag, everything comes to an abrupt halt at the edge of the screen (kind of like running into a steel door).

What's the secret? 

Unless someone can explain the secret touch to me, I'm afraid I'm going to feel like an idiot when I take my NC into my local B&N so that someone there can teach me :smileyembarrassed:.

Wordsmith
alliecatTX

whiteginger wrote:

OK.  I thought I was pretty good with "dragging and dropping" and "swiping", but for the life of me, I cannot drag anything from one panel to the next.  If a try a quick drag (kind of a swipe-like drag), the panel changes, but the item I am trying to drag simply hangs on the edge of the center panel.  If I try a slow, deliberate drag, everything comes to an abrupt halt at the edge of the screen (kind of like running into a steel door).

What's the secret? 

Unless someone can explain the secret touch to me, I'm afraid I'm going to feel like an idiot when I take my NC into my local B&N so that someone there can teach me :smileyembarrassed:.

I've never tried what they're describing, but drag the item down to the scrolling list, and then move to the page you want it on, and drag it back up.  That's how I move things around after my 3 year old rearranges them! :smileytongue:.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

alliecatTX wrote:

I use one for books that are next on my list to read, one for apps, and one for my kids' books and apps.  Another easy way to get your items on it is to just go to whichever of the 3 pages you want the item on, and then drag the item up from the scrolling list at the bottom.

Thank you, I never wanted to ask but have never been able to do this by just dragging to another page.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

alliecatTX wrote:

Another easy way to get your items on it is to just go to whichever of the 3 pages you want the item on, and then drag the item up from the scrolling list at the bottom.

You are brilliant!  This worked for me!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And thanks everyone for the other ideas about organizing by panels.  I may try putting some photos on one panel, books on one, and Office apps on another.  Even if I don't use them that often, at least I'll look like I know what I'm doing!  :smileylol:

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

My biggest problem with getting things on the home screens is that I am so used to my Android phone.................all you have to do is press a spot on the home screen and bring up a menu of what you want to add in that spot.........shortcuts, files, widgets, etc. I keep doing that to my NC.......LMAO!!

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

A little off topic, but I noticed that we lost the option to line up the icons and have them size smaller like we used to have in 1.3. Unless anyone out there has found a way to still do that...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Contributor
thirdegg
0 Kudos

So thaaaats what the 3 white dots are for!

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

dfehling wrote:

A little off topic, but I noticed that we lost the option to line up the icons and have them size smaller like we used to have in 1.3. Unless anyone out there has found a way to still do that...

I'm not sure how you used to do this, but I always just dragged the books I wanted onto the panel I wanted them on.  Then I would do a "long Press and Hold" on the panel page (not a book) and select organize this panel.  It will automatically adjust the size of the icon and order them in alphabetical order.  Incidentally, I also found out that there is a 30 item limit on each of home panels.  It has still been working this way for me since the update.

Hope this helps.  :smileyhappy:

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The quick double tap still works to auto arrange.......  I kinda wish we had an opton for more than three home pages. I guess I can adapt the shelves though.

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

thirdegg wrote:

Now if only I knew what the three seashells were for...

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

thirdegg wrote:

So you know what panel you're on :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
mbratch

To drag from one panel to the other:

• Touch an icon and, whilst touching it, immediately drag it (without letting go) to the edge of the screen toward the panel you want. Push right to the edge and hold there a second and the panel should change. Then you can let go.

Or as someone else suggested:

• Drag the icon to the shelf at the bottom, swipe to the panel you want, then drag the icon off the shelf to the current panel

Another nice feature is if you double tap on an empty spot on the panel, the icons will auto-arrange on that panel. I've needed this a couple of times because I have, on occasion, accidentally gotten one icon atop another and wondered where it went!

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Yep, the first way listed below works, too. :smileyvery-happy:  I guess I just never held it long enough when I butted into the edge of the screen. Thanks.  I have learned how to do this--two different ways!

mbratch wrote:

To drag from one panel to the other:

• Touch an icon and, whilst touching it, immediately drag it (without letting go) to the edge of the screen toward the panel you want. Push right to the edge and hold there a second and the panel should change. Then you can let go.

Or as someone else suggested:

• Drag the icon to the shelf at the bottom, swipe to the panel you want, then drag the icon off the shelf to the current panel

Another nice feature is if you double tap on an empty spot on the panel, the icons will auto-arrange on that panel. I've needed this a couple of times because I have, on occasion, accidentally gotten one icon atop another and wondered where it went!