Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

30 Days of Halloween Reads

Let's have some fun.  This is Halloween Month, and I love a scary book.  Or just books about Halloween. So let's talk about our favorite Halloween Nook Reads.  Here are the rules:

1) Each day I will post a reminder to post one of your favorite Halloween-oriented books.

2) Everyone post one and NO MORE than one book each day that the announcement goes up.

3) You can define a Halloween book any way you want. It could be something scary, something historical about the holiday....whatever.  Just remember to post one day.

4) And since this is a Nook board, the book MUST be available to be read on a Nook device.  Sideloaded is fine, though.....although native Nook format is even better.

My choice for today, since I just finished it, is Anne Rice's "INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE," the first vampire book since Dracula that actually made you THINK (about the nature of evil). 

Correspondent
musicmama2010
0 Kudos

Re: 30 Days of Halloween Reads

Almost any Stephen King book but especially The Stand, since I'm limited to one per day. This will give something to load my wish list and library queue.
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

DAY 2:  Name one Halloween book that you recommend reading on your Nook during the month of October. Day's 2 entry for me:  FRANKENSTEIN, by Mary Shelly.  The book, if you don't know, is quite different from most movies.....The monster much more intelligent and evil......yet we understand the ethical dilemma, since Dr. Frankenstein realized this evil was unleashed on the world by himself.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I am currently reading and enjoying The Ghosts of Belfast.  I got this several weeks ago when it was $1(?) or free(?), so others of you may have it hidden somewhere in your library, too.   I was browsing my library for something eerie or ghostly and I ran across this title.  Thus far, it seems well written (I prefer literary fiction) and not overly bloody or violent (which is not my taste.)

The Ghosts of Belfast (Jack Lennon Series #1)  

Frequent Contributor
roxmysoxGA
0 Kudos

Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell Tale Heart...scared the bejeezus out of me when I had to read it in middle school. : )

Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Contributor
Swayde
0 Kudos

Helter Skelter, the True Story of the Manson Family Murder by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry

Frequent Contributor
dave50
0 Kudos

One of the best vampire tales I've ever read is Barbara Hambly's Those Who Hunt The Night. The tagline "Someone is killing the vampires of London." doesn't begin to do it justice! Hambly's writing is vivid, her characters strong and likeable and the plot very plausible. I won't spoil the plot by saying more than this: what kind of man would come home to discover a vampire has kidnapped his wife in order to secure his cooperation?

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

About the scariest book I have ever read was IT by Stephen King. One of the only movie from a book that was also scary that I have seen.

And interestingly only $8.99 as a nook book so I guess I will have to have it.

.It

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

If you weren't scared of clowns before, you will be after seeing the movie version of IT.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

My day 3 Halloween read is the king of vampire novels, DRACULA, by Bran Stoker. Much more compelling than any movie version I've ever seen.

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My favorite sort of scary book is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty gets my vote for one of the scariest books I've ever read.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

This is too wierd.  Earlier I said the scariest book I've read is the Exorcist. Tonight the author  William Peter Blatty is online at the mystery forum. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
Contributor
Swayde
0 Kudos

House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Rosemary's Baby  I was a teenager when the book came out and it was forbidden reading, so of course I read it!  It scared the pee out of me.  I saw the movie many years later (in my thirties) and reread the book.  It still gave me chills.  By today's standards it is probably not THAT scary.

(BTW-The Exorcist IS the scariest book I've EVER read.  I have NEVER seen the movie or reread it.)

Correspondent
musicmama2010
0 Kudos

Was petrified by IT, The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby.  Was never able to finish Dracula or Frankenstein.   I'm going to try them again.

My recommendation for today is yet another Stephen King, actually 2 that I consider equally scary:   Misery and Salem's Lot.

Misery is a mental thriller and Salem's Lot is more vampires.  Both were made into video form (Misery is the first time I encountered the amazing Kathy Bates and Salem's Lot has had a couple of incarnations, my favorite was the Rob Lowe mini-series).

Yup, it's true, I consider King the "king of horror".  Anne Rice is the "queen".

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Be forewarned that my selection for today is by a Christian novelist, but it's a very subtle Christian message...and a very scary book. It's called THIS PRESENT DARKNESS, by Frank Peretti.And the bad guys are demons, in all of their dark "glory."  

Contributor
stacywagon
0 Kudos

Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Mayberry. It's a great Halloween trilogy!
Contributor
Swayde

I always loved Bunnicula by James and Deborah Howe. It's a kids book, but it was great =)

Inspired Contributor
Spero

Almost any book by Clive Barker. Books of Blood was very good and scary.
Spero