Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
bestem

Re: A budget is needed

I'm letting myself buy one book a week.  If I see something I like, it goes on my wishlist (on the website), and then on Sunday I look at the wishlist and choose a book to buy off of it.  Otherwise, it's way way way too easy to buy books.

Inspired Correspondent
Panzertime
0 Kudos

I have found that using a gift card has helped me stay in budget. The problem is it never seems to last very long. I try to limit it to $20 a month. I might have to up it.

TaterFink
0 Kudos

bestem,

Such restraint!  It sounds like a good plan and I think I'll try your method.

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
bestem

Heh, all my 'net friends laugh when, in our chat room, on Sunday, out of nowhere I say "oooh, it's Sunday!  I can buy myself a book today!!"

Inspired Contributor
KnitGirlinIdaho
0 Kudos

bestem wrote:

I'm letting myself buy one book a week.  If I see something I like, it goes on my wishlist (on the website), and then on Sunday I look at the wishlist and choose a book to buy off of it.  Otherwise, it's way way way too easy to buy books.

That's a great plan! If I see a book for $5 or less that looks like a good read, I really waiver on whether or not I should buy it or add it to my wishlist, only because I'm afraid the next time I check my wishlist the price will have gone up!  

I think my biggest problem is downloading the free books because I have so many books on my "must read" list that I don't know if I will ever actually read them all.  The free books have really introduced me to genres I never had much interest before and I certainly wouldn't have risked spending the money on them otherwise. Yay for freebies!!

bestem
0 Kudos

Yeah,  I actually download all the freebies that Doug posts in his thread.  You never know when they might come in handy (like when I'm waiting for Sunday to come around so I can buy a new book).  I archive most of them until I know I'm close to the end of a book and there's nothing on the Nook i want to read next.  I do keep all the reference books and all the kids books (and all the ones I buy) on my Nook all the time though.  In fact, managed to get a screaming 2 year old on the bus today to quiet down by letting him see one of the Read to Me books. 

Inspired Correspondent
RLS_Portland
0 Kudos

BrenCocoaFL wrote:

For the budget part... I bought a gift card that I connected to my account, and every month I add my "allowance" to it. I regularily check the balance through the website, so I know how well I'm doing on staying in budget. It also makes my regular credit card statements a lot shorter.

That's exactly what I do too! Plus, I buy the gift card with my B&N Barclay card, so that's a 3% discount. 

Inspired Correspondent
RLS_Portland
0 Kudos

RLS_Portland wrote:

That's exactly what I do too! Plus, I buy the gift card with my B&N Barclay card, so that's a 3% discount. 

FWIW, I think it's a 5% discount.

Contributor
NYCHousewife
0 Kudos

Oh yes! I raise my hand high for this one!

A budget is INDEED in place in my home! LOL!

I find it handy to 'bargain hunt' for some freebies! Freebies and free previews hold me over!

I then find things on sale, or that are inexpensive.

I have myself on a budget and it is working so far!

Now don't ask me how long my wish list is!!!!

Inspired Correspondent
Panzertime
0 Kudos

When I load my gift card I usually buy one book from my wishlist and then use the rest of the card to shop for other less expensive books that I want. It has worked great so far. I must admit that I have been not buying as many books lately so that I will have more money for apps when they get here.

APPS, my precious apps.....

Contributor
6Haflingers
0 Kudos

"The free books have really introduced me to genres I never had much interest before and I certainly wouldn't have risked spending the money on them otherwise."  This is so true.  Sometimes in life we become so ridgid in our thinking and reading, it's good to relax be open to something new.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, then be loved for who I'm not.