Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

A chat with Alana at B&N Customer Service

[ Edited ]

Well, I called the 800 number, and got to speak to Alana from B&N Customer Service in Lindhurst NJ.

A little hard to understand her, but she told me the only information she has was that the update will be out by the end of April.   

Give them a call, 1-800-the-book   1-800-843-2665

I would like to know what they tell other people.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Re: A chat with Alana at B&N Customer Service

Well, I got all excited for nothing when I called. The tech said he would be happy to help me download the upgrade. I lmost had palpatations. Sadly it was version 1.1. Then I asked about the 1.2.0. He put me on hold to "verify" if he could help me with that. After about 3 minutes (by this time I was was salivating) he came back to say that it was still in "process" I asked what process was and he told me just keep checking my email, it could be anytime from now to the end of the month. I could either download it my self from the B & N site OR wait for the auto upgrade, but to be sure and keep my wifi on so it was ready.

Same answer I guess (ie THEY don't have a clue)...............

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

I get the impression that the CS people aren't filled with nearly as much update anticipation as most of the folks on this boards seem to be.  :smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

that's totally true... 

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
Inspired Correspondent
eaglejim

I know I wouldn't be looking forward to it if I worked in one of thier Call Centers!

Rep: "Thank you for calling Barnes and Noble Nook Color Customer Support, this is Chase, how can I help you?"

NC Owner: "It's 8am.  I just saw on your site that the new 1.2 update is available, and I want to know why I don't have it."

Rep: "Have you downloaded the update and performed the side-load steps outlined clearly on the site?"

NC Owner: "No."

Rep: "Is your Nook Color connected to a WiFi connection?"

NC Owner: "What's WiFi?"

Rep has to walk the client through Connecting to WiFi -or- downloading and sideloading from step 1: Turn on your Nook Color.

Repeat approximately 1000 times before lunch.

Total NOOK Home: 1 NC, 1 Nook 3g, 2 Nook wi-fi
Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

haha that chase guy must be joke with a low life...

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

Nothing personal, but why would a person contact Customer Service to ask if a 1.2 upgrade was available when it is clear that the upgrade will be posted on B&N & FaceBook & B&N Forums & E-mail & auto-download?  No wonder people are starting to complain about the wait time to get to a Customer Service representative for a legitimate Nook technical or ebook purchase issue - the call center is handling all the people asking for a super-secret special route to the magical upgrade!

Let's all relax and read a good book on the Nook Color.

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Do we know it'll be 1.2, or might it be 2.0?

Frequent Contributor
Nokomarie

[ Edited ]

FantasyRider wrote:

Let's all relax and read a good book on the Nook Color.

I agree. I bought it to read books. I've rooted and unrooted and I honestly prefer it "stock". It's a wonderful reader. And this isn't going to happen till it happens..   :smileyhappy:

Wild_images

Well first of all, I did not call to see if the update was available.  I called to see if they knew when it WOULD be available.  

I knew they would have no clue before I called.  I just did it to annoy the hell out of them.

Happy now?   Not too personal for you?   

Everyone here  - well, not everyone, but a lot of people - complain that B&N doesn't listen to or read anything posted on these boards.    So call them, and ask them.   The more people that are burning up their phone lines asking, the better.  It might put a fire under their rear ends to address some of the questions about the update that are posted here.

Personally, I don't care if it bothers you that I called them.   What does bother ME is that the Customer Service Rep hardly spoke english, what she did speak was so heavily accented that every other word out of my mouth was "what?" and even if she would have had any information to pass on, it would have been lost in the translation anyway.

Call them up.  Burn up the phone lines.  Tell them to post something on their own forums!  Be a rabble rouser!  

Or be a sheep -  

But becareful, sheep who attack wolves usually end up as lunch.....

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

I have found nothing released from B&N that promised a release by today.  Every announcement from B&N has said they would deliver an update by “spring.”  In the US, spring ends on the last day of May.  There has been lots of dates thrown out by non-B&N folks (and uninformed B&N store employees) – but they are all just guessing. 

I have no concern about anyone wanting to contact Customer Service – just not sure the return value when everyone on the forum is getting the same standard response of spring. So – light up those phone lines.  Burn through those e-mails.  Post those hate mails about those darn foreign employees that can;t speak English.  Anything to feed the pitchfork raising and torch carrying angry mob! 

“The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty...” - Abraham Lincoln

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

[ Edited ]

*yawns*

I am so bored with the few immature people here who have to insult others because they don't feel the same sense of urgency over something that is quite petty in the grand scheme of things.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

*yawns*

I am so bored with the few immature people here who have to insult others because they don't feel the same sense of urgency over something that is quite petty in the grand scheme of things.

Blastphmer!....We will Burn you in the Nook Fires of Cleansing! :smileysurprised:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Bibliophile
Jenniisme

Nallia wrote:

*yawns*

I seriously wish you could hear what I say to my computer after reading these threads. :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

outsourcing sucks!

Frequent Contributor
Moonchild54
0 Kudos

I,m enjoying all this crazyness.This is comic relief for me.But don't get me wrong I 'm impatient too at this point.

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV

[ Edited ]

FantasyRider wrote:

In the US, spring ends on the last day of May.

Um, no.  Spring ends in the US (and everywhere else in the Northern hemisphere) on June 21.  http://www.chiff.com/a/summer-solstice.htm

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala

Wild_images wrote:

Well first of all, I did not call to see if the update was available.  I called to see if they knew when it WOULD be available.  

I knew they would have no clue before I called.  I just did it to annoy the hell out of them.

Happy now?   Not too personal for you?   

Everyone here  - well, not everyone, but a lot of people - complain that B&N doesn't listen to or read anything posted on these boards.    So call them, and ask them.   The more people that are burning up their phone lines asking, the better.  It might put a fire under their rear ends to address some of the questions about the update that are posted here.

Personally, I don't care if it bothers you that I called them.   What does bother ME is that the Customer Service Rep hardly spoke english, what she did speak was so heavily accented that every other word out of my mouth was "what?" and even if she would have had any information to pass on, it would have been lost in the translation anyway.

Call them up.  Burn up the phone lines.  Tell them to post something on their own forums!  Be a rabble rouser!  

Or be a sheep -  

But becareful, sheep who attack wolves usually end up as lunch.....

OK. Really? You are the last kind of person I'd want to deal with in my store. You're so grumpy about not getting your update that you want to tie up phone lines with questions you already know the answer to and because you didn't get to be the magical being given the first knowledge of the next update's date and time, you've now got a grudge against B&N because you didn't get a rep who speaks your regional dialect.

Your incessant badgering of representatives through the phone lines and persistent queries don't get passed on as a "golly, they sure are a-hankerin' for that update! Ship it out there double time!" motivator. When you hang up the phone or walk away from the counter, you're going to be snickered at and gossiped about behind your back. Yes, with this attitude, that's all you deserve.

And unfortunately your sheep/wolf metaphor fails, because you're implying that "rabble-rousing" like a wolf will get you something whereas "following the herd" will not. Sorry. You will get told exactly when B&N feels like telling you, not a second sooner, and a whole pack of wolves howling at the moon won't do a damn thing.

Employees in the stores, like myself, will hear about it at about the same time as the customer service reps, maybe even a few hours sooner than them. And that will only be, maybe 5-10 hours at MOST

before everyone else knows about it.

And if you are truly that troubled by someone's accent, either take advantage of all the free books available to learn more about the world and the people in it...or take advantage of the picture books that read to you.

Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

Sounds like someone needs to take a chill pill. :smileysurprised:  If someone wants to call Customer Service to ask for info on the update, that is their right and choice.  No one cares what customer service people think as long as they give good service.  And good service means being nice and giving what answers you can give.  Also, burning up the phone lines can work in some cases though maybe not this one.  So relax and have some tea or something.:smileyhappy:

[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala

EarthTiger13 wrote:

Sounds like someone needs to take a chill pill. :smileysurprised:  If someone wants to call Customer Service to ask for info on the update, that is their right and choice.  No one cares what customer service people think as long as they give good service.  And good service means being nice and giving what answers you can give.  Also, burning up the phone lines can work in some cases though maybe not this one.  So relax and have some tea or something.:smileyhappy:

A person armed with google or a link to nook.com can get all the information about an update available. Badgering people for information they don't have when one is perfectly capable seeking it on their own is a pointless gesture and makes the customer service experience all the more difficult when the "service" involves putting up with endless impatience.

There been numerous discussions on the boards here about how any and all information will be released by B&N when B&N feels like releasing it. It's silly and childish to push for swarming the company with emails and calls and in-store confrontations with the sole purpose of it to entail harassing B&N to give information in order to make the aggressice impatience cease. Thats the equivalent of, as I said, a 5 year old screaming and crying to a parent until it gets its way.  

I've offered to jump on here and give everyone a heads up if we get an indication the update is coming and I imagine other employees who post here will suggest everyone "turn on and plug in" as soon as possible.

And I'll have some chamomille tea when polite impatience and querying is pursued as opposed to temper tantrums. :smileyindifferent: