Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
0 Kudos

Re: A chat with Alana at B&N Customer Service

Mark_OB1 wrote:

Angulimala wrote:

If you think customer impatience about the Nook Store is at an all time high, you should try being one of the employees who is asked and called about it everyday, who wants to have an answer to give other than "soon".

I have a different question for you.  (!)  In your regular contacts with NookColor customers, what %age ask about the update, vs. those who don't even know there is one coming?

- Mark

I would say that about 25% of current NookColor owners who I've noticed in the store have asked about the update at some point at least once in the last month or two. Very few of the NC owners who come in my store don't know about the update, since it was something that we've talked about as part of our demos (and why not, since, as everyone knows, it seemed we'd have the Nook Store by now).

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

At the risk of ticking someone off I tend to think what often happens in these threads is just miscommunication.

One person is frustrated with waiting and thinks they were promised something at a certain time.

Another person says they can be patient because they have no choice.

The first person thinks that is a personal attack on them and other people chime in and say the first person is entitled to their opinion.

Then someone else says they are happy with the NC as is or they weren't really aware of an update when they bought-it will be great when it comes.

A bunch of people think this means they are insulting anyone who really wants the update.

It all seems to come from one's own point of view and if anyone expresses their own opinion, they are viewed as being against someone else personally.  And there are some that use this as a forum to call people idiots, stupid, or whatever.

It should be understood that anyone posting anything is merely stating their opinion and all.  And it should also be understood that BN employees while trying to be helpful are often not given any more information than anyone else.  People that come on here with a chip on their shoulder really do need to find a website that caters to that.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
joezrph

Well said.

Misinterpretation has led to many conflicts other than our little update.

I to am out here several times a day looking for information about the update.  When I bought my NC I didn't know about this update, but now that I do I am looking forward to getting it.

What does it really matter how we get it.  We really just want to ge it.

BN should be more receptive to the users here and provide some informational update, instead of quoting their policy.

I'm sure once everyone has the update we will all be friends again and tell each other all the little tricks and tips we learned.

I'll be bacl a few more times today looking for more information.

Distinguished Correspondent
likemynook

A simple monthly update on the matter would easily resolve the customers frustrations and lighten the load for customer reps and employees. Customer reps and employees are the people customers turn to for answers when they are not getting them from the company...so it's not the customers fault here ...it's B&N's plan and simple.

There was a press release on Mar 25.  Is that not a monthly update?

Correspondent
baby_chyll

after all the blah blah I've read... I wonder who is Alana? this question is more important than the update I guess...

for those ranting about the update and saying that BN cannot deliver their promise... Well, you will soon eat the words you posted here... 

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Contributor
quilt_trail
0 Kudos

I had a chat with "Renz" just a few moments ago.  A good portion of my books that I've downloaded from BN keep showing the green  "Download" banner.  I can tap on the book, it downloads and then hours later the banner reappears.  Here's a portion of my conversation with "Renz":

9:30:13 AM :  Renz: Thank you! By the way Patti, have you already read the book?

9:31:41 AM :  Patti: Most of the books with the banner I books I have not read yet; there is one book that I started reading but haven't gone back to in a while. I also have several books that I've downloaded from B&N that I have not read and they don't have the banner...

9:32:40 AM :  Renz: Thank you! Can you please tell me if the books with the banner are already downloaded?

9:33:22 AM :  Patti: The banner disappears if I "download" the book....but then it reappears hours later.

9:34:15 AM :  Renz: I see, here is what you have to do "turn off your NOOK" by pressing and holding on the power button for 15 seconds.

9:34:50 AM :  Patti: Okay...

9:35:16 AM :  Renz: After that, turn it on and go to settings, under settings go to "wifi" and turn the wifi off.

9:35:36 AM :  Renz: After turning the Wifi off, turn your NOOK Color off again.

9:36:36 AM :  Renz: The reason why your NOOK is always showing the "download" banner, is because it keeps on trying to reconnect to the server and update itself.

9:36:46 AM :  Renz: Is there anything else I can help you with?

9:37:25 AM :  Patti: Not unless you can magically give me the new update everyone is waiting for... :-) I am being patient .... unlike a lot of people on the discussion boards (LOL)

9:37:56 AM :  Renz: We apologize for any misinformation, there is currently no announcement regarding a future update to NOOKcolor. Barnes & Noble does not comment on any rumors or speculation.

What?  No announcement?  He must not watch HSN. :smileyhappy:  But then less than a minute later he writes . . .

9:38:41 AM :  Renz: I know and I understand that it is somewhat frustrating, but I guarantee that it is worth the wait!

So, I'll continue to patiently wait for the upgrade and just read the books on my NC.

P

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

quilt_trail, it is worth the wait... mark those mighty from that guy "RENZ"... 

Contributor
quilt_trail

I absolutely LOVE my NC!  The best $249 I've ever spent!!!  My biggest wish was for Adobe Flash ...everything else in the update will be "icing on the cake"!  I recently took a road trip out to Michigan (from MN) and was able to not only take several books with me but several patterns for knitting projects I worked on while I was traveling.  I even activated my "hotspot" on my smartphone so I could get on the internet while hubby was driving!

deemure
0 Kudos

quilt_trail wrote:

I absolutely LOVE my NC!  The best $249 I've ever spent!!!  My biggest wish was for Adobe Flash ...everything else in the update will be "icing on the cake"!  I recently took a road trip out to Michigan (from MN) and was able to not only take several books with me but several patterns for knitting projects I worked on while I was traveling.  I even activated my "hotspot" on my smartphone so I could get on the internet while hubby was driving!

Here's hoping flash comes soon.  I have crocheting books and woodworking books on mine as well as a bunch of other topics.  It always goes with me everywhere I go.  I do wish for a smartphone for a hotspot, though.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
KapSukdulan

I find it surprising that deemure did not whine about my or my other account's post... oh well...

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3

Having gone thorugh the Samung Captivate's wait to get it's update (which was a total waste and I ended up rooting and flashing it anyway), this wait is nothing new.

As much as I'm curious to see it, it's not a make it or break it deal as I can easily go from stock to autonooter in a few minutes.

Reader 4
gdsegel

Angulimala,

Assuming that you are an employee of Barnes and Noble, I would suggest that you temper your remarks. Most companies prefer that their employees not identify themselves as such as you begin to speak as a representative for your company. They would probably prefer that you not rip into a customer for discussing their experience with Customer Service.

Customers and stockholders pay your salary, for this board and for the customer service reps that are called. As an employee you are there for us, not the other way around.

I don't think that calling customer service for an update was unreasonable at all (even though the poster of the comment most likely knew the answer) and B&N most likely welcomes the call as they track the metrics of these calls. Knowing that there is interest in the update is valuable to them.

If you regard the customer (in this case the poster) in this way on-line, I shudder to think how you regard and treat the customer in a Barnes and Noble store.

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

report him gdsegel, report him to his employer

deemure

gdsegel wrote:

Angulimala,

Assuming that you are an employee of Barnes and Noble, I would suggest that you temper your remarks. Most companies prefer that their employees not identify themselves as such as you begin to speak as a representative for your company. They would probably prefer that you not rip into a customer for discussing their experience with Customer Service.

Customers and stockholders pay your salary, for this board and for the customer service reps that are called. As an employee you are there for us, not the other way around.

I don't think that calling customer service for an update was unreasonable at all (even though the poster of the comment most likely knew the answer) and B&N most likely welcomes the call as they track the metrics of these calls. Knowing that there is interest in the update is valuable to them.

If you regard the customer (in this case the poster) in this way on-line, I shudder to think how you regard and treat the customer in a Barnes and Noble store.

So, apparently employees of companies, even if they are paid hourly have no right on their offtime to speak their own minds?  Even when doing so fairly anonymously.  I mean of course they can't do so when on the clock, but just because you work somewhere they don't technically own your brain.  And I have never encountered any retailer that makes you sign an agreement not to have an opinion (whether right or wrong) about customers when you are on your own time.  Heck, they don't even say you can't do that on company time.  It's just that on company time you can't ACT how you feel toward them.

Whether what was said was true or not is not what I'm saying here, but just because someone works for a place and identifies that they do, that doesn't mean they can't express an opinion.

Just my opinion, you may agree, you may disagree, and if you read it as hostile then that is your interpretation and not my meaning at all.  I'm working on an adequate disclaimer, but this will have to suffice for now.:smileysurprised:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

Deemure, you shoudl know that there is no such thing as an adequate disclaimer.  NO matter how hard you try, you'll miss someone.  :smileywink:

deemure
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Deemure, you shoudl know that there is no such thing as an adequate disclaimer.  NO matter how hard you try, you'll miss someone.  :smileywink:

So, I will need a disclaimer for the disclaimer.  I'm gonna need a bigger NOOKcolor.

Correspondent
baby_chyll

I wanna say that NALLIA is right but DEEMURE will surely whine again... decisions... decisions...

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

Re: A chat with Alan at B&N Customer Service

FantasyRider wrote:

Nothing personal, but why would a person contact Customer Service to ask if a 1.2 upgrade was available when it is clear that the upgrade will be posted on B&N & FaceBook & B&N Forums & E-mail & auto-download?  No wonder people are starting to complain about the wait time to get to a Customer Service representative for a legitimate Nook technical or ebook purchase issue - the call center is handling all the people asking for a super-secret special route to the magical upgrade!

Let's all relax and read a good book on the Nook Color.

Maybe people are calling customer service about the upgrade because they think B&N does not know they are anxious to get their upgrade the very minute it is released, AND they think one more call to customer service will make the update come faster.

---  

Stay Calm.

Be Brave.

Wait for the signs. 

Distinguished Correspondent
feltbettor

akaCat wrote:

feltbettor wrote:

Simple Quiz:

1. If three people are standing on a street corner complaining about the lack of cabs in this part of town do you walk up and tell these people that the rest of us get along just fine without cabs and they need to stop expecting things to change just because they want them to?

or....

2. Do you shake your head and round the corner on your way to your car?

I don't think your scenario is quite accurate. It's more like, there's this one corner where the bus service is really erratic. Some people pull out a book to read, some set up a poker game while they wait. A bunch just talk about what they'll do when the bus gets there, with someone always watching to see if the bus is in sight. (And there's these two people next to the coffee shop door who may or may not even realize that this is a bus stop.)

And every new person who comes to wait for the bus asks when the bus will arrive. Most of them, once they get some shrugs and "I dunno"s, open a book or join the conversation and settle in to wait.

But a few can't figure out why everyone else isn't outraged. They get explanations: it's the way the bus system works here, it'll get here when it gets here, you sure you don't want to be dealt in while we wait? If the person still can't dial it down to a low mutter and let everyone else get on with what they're doing, they'll be teased into either being assimilated or going away.

It's accurate the way I see it. Your just not seeing what I'm seeing. The street corner is this particular thread. Not this site or even this forum but only his thread.

If I start one thread in a sea of threads titled "Why I hate kittens!", the people who read that title when they were browsing through the General Discussion forum and disagreed should just shake their heads and round the corner to their car, oops I mean, find another thread. Leave the 'grumps' to argue their case to each other on the street corner, A.K.A. this thread. Besides everyone knows kittens rock!

Arguing with angry people isn't wise or productive.

"Now remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... Except herpes, that s*** will come back with you." - Sid Garner