Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Darcella

AMAZING!!!

All in all  i  am   pretty  pleased  with  the  update, of   course, I  am  probably  one  of the   few   who  havn't  rooted,   havn't   really  seen  the   need  to yet.   And of course,  I  got  My  NC  as  a   gift, so  i  didn't   spend  the  actual  money:smileyindifferent:.  So  far  i   have   been  pretty  happy  with the   product. 

As far  as  the   update  goes,  I  am  pleased  with  it.   I  am  sure   down  the  road i   will  eventually  find  something  i  am   totally   unpleased  about,  but  for  now it's  ok. The things  i  do  see for  now  are  it' a  little  slower, and  it  takes  up  more  memory.  ( wich  is  probably   where  the  NT is  nice).  Although the  video  play  is   awsome.  However   i  don't  see any  of  this  as  affecting  my  reading capabilities on  the  NC.

What  i   find   AMAZING,  is  that after  all  the   complaining people  have  done about  not  getting  the  update right  away,  or  that   the   feel  screwed because  The  NC  cost  so   much  and  then  the  price   dropped. (werent  these  people  happy  with  it   before the  price  drop?) And,   That  now  the  update is  out    people  are still  not  happy,  after all  the  NC...  is an E READER Produced  by  a  BOOK company.  :smileyvery-happy:   

I  realize  there  are   people   who   may   be  haveing   problems with  their  NC and  their downloads.  And  i  am  sorry about  it.  I  was  so  excited  when  i  saw  the  update yesterday, i  had  to   remind  myself  to  calm  down  and  relax... lol.   just  so  i   could   sideload it right.   I  was   luck  i  got  it  the   first  time.  lol

I   guess that  there will  always be  those  who  look  at things  as  their  glass  half   empty,  instead of  half   full.    and   saying  i   am  thankful  for   what  i   do have, and   saying  " Thanks  for  the   update  B & N :smileyhappy:.

I try really hard to be a GLASS HALF FULL, kinda gal. :-)
Darcella
Correspondent
tuck229

Re: AMAZING!!!

[ Edited ]

I'm not rooted and perfectly happy with my NC.  It does what I want/need.

I side-loaded the 1.4 update last night.  Like you, it was quick and simple and worked the first time smoothly.  So far I have mixed feelings about the new interface.  I don't really know why the lost the N soft key, but I figure in a month I'll be adapted and fine.  Turning magazine pages is really snazzy...but I'm disappointed that books don't have the same effect.  Doesn't affect the reading experience.  Just makes me feel cooler. 

One thing I really don't like the the way they messed up my shelves.  Is there a way to customize the shelves interface?  I gotta investigate and find out.  I hate the fact that My Shelves is now hidden.  I just piddled with my updated NC for a little bit, so I will play around with my shelves when I get home from work.  Gonna delete the Kids shelf if I can...totally not needed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

You nailed it Darcella.

Never gonna be a time when everyone is happy with changes.

It can be entertaining to follow some of the complaint threads.

Hell I've started a few myself in the past and I'm sure I will again

:smileyhappy:

FTR - I'm not fond of  hitting the n btn either  :smileysad:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

after all  the  NC...  is an E READER Produced  by  a  BOOK company.  :smileyvery-happy:   

Not exactly.  The NC was marketed as the "Readers Tablet" for almost a year.   Maybe still is??    Not as a stand alone E reader.   So people expect a bit more from their NC's.....rightly or wrongly, B&N brought this on themselves.   And yes, those of us who own NC's are a contentious lot sometimes. 

As for your sig line.........

I try really hard to be a GLASS HALF FULL, kinda gal. :-)
Darcella
------------------------------------------------------------------
Two Zen Monks were arguing over a glass of water.  The Zen Master came up and asked what they were arguing about. One said the glass was half full, the other half empty. They asked the Zen Master which was correct.
The Zen Master picked up the glass, and drank the water.   Setting the glass back down, he said, 
"No more problem"
The moral of the story is...... never leave a glass of water where a thirsty Zen Master can find it.....
Keep an eye on your glass  :smileyvery-happy:
Reader 2
Gatton

I was running a Honeycomb build on an SD card. After installing the 1.4 update I may not need it anymore. The #1 reason I was using it was to get a better PDF Reader (EZ-PDF). As of this update I can now read PDFs from Google Books which were not compatible before (you would get red X's on each page). So Kudos to B&N. I honestly didn't expect much now that the Nook Tablet is available but this is a nice update.

Oh and Netflix runs surprisingly well. I wasn't expecting it to be a good experience but so far it's great.

Frequent Contributor
apachedug

Count me in with the Happy Campers gang (though I too miss the soft key on the home screen).  I downloaded the update last night, moved it to my root directory and voila--in 10 minutes my NC was up and running just fine, no problems.

I like the new shopping page, I like the apps being labled now & WOW I know it's not part of the update but I love the Smithsonian app!

Lastly--I know people have been hollerin' about reading in landscape since this whole thing began & I never understood why it was such a big deal--but I gotta admit, I really enjoyed that new feature while reading in bed last night.

This device just gets better & better for me--thanks B&N!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

apachedug wrote:

Count me in with the Happy Campers gang (though I too miss the soft key on the home screen).  I downloaded the update last night, moved it to my root directory and voila--in 10 minutes my NC was up and running just fine, no problems.

I like the new shopping page, I like the apps being labled now & WOW I know it's not part of the update but I love the Smithsonian app!

Lastly--I know people have been hollerin' about reading in landscape since this whole thing began & I never understood why it was such a big deal--but I gotta admit, I really enjoyed that new feature while reading in bed last night.

This device just gets better & better for me--thanks B&N!

My main reason for landscape is reading while plugged into charger. I believe using your nook while its plugged in is 1 of the main reasons the cord fails.  It took almost a year for my cord to need replaced.

No matter how hard I try I find myself resting part of the weight on the cord when I read in bed, now thats not an issue. 

**I keep stating the above so more people are aware**  :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
Weedy533

I like that the movies on my micro SD card are now under  the"My Media" app. I did not use the moive feature very much so I always had to hunt around for a little while to find where the movies were. Now they are very easy to find.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik

I am also very happy with the update.  I was also happy that you, darcella took the time to post this message.  I read these posts all the time and the complaints are a bit over whelming at times.  I almost think I might not have bought my Nook Color if I had read some of these posts first.  Thank goodness I didn't!  I read reviews from CNET and other tech mags and they all loved the Nook color best.  I know people have had issues with their Nooks and that's understandable with all electronics.  I have had my Nook for a year and the only trouble I had was in the beginning with the power cord but I received a new Nook Color (they exchanged the entire thing) and I haven't had an issue since.  I love my NC and I really like the update.  since now you can read in landscape I can read at night while charging and the cord is completely out of the way!  I am a glass half full kind of gal!

Contributor
cbrmom

I am also very happy with the update!  It installed pretty easy and I like the new features.  I've had my NookColor since last Christmas as I gift.  It does everything I want and need.  I've always taken it for was it is....an e-reader.  I've not rooted it, but still very happy.  I just downloaded Netflix and am now watching movies and tv shows on it.  Hope everyone has had the same wonderful experience and enjoyment as I have had for almost a year now.

Frequent Contributor
pyrexa

Go to shelves, my stuff, my shelves.  Your old shelve set up is right there

Frequent Contributor
ledmy
0 Kudos

What about support foreign languages ??;(((( they wont do it !
Contributor
brendababy

I am also very pleased with the update, but I was pretty happy with my nook color before the update, too!  Adding netflix and landscape are bonuses to an already great product.  I've had my nook color since last December and I don't leave home without it!:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Randy_Hayes

[ Edited ]

I'm also a non-rooted, very happy Nook Color owner.  After the update, I've been very pleased that the magazine reading experience has greatly improved.  Faster double-tap zooming, smoother pinch zooming and panning, and it could just be me, but it seems like magazines just display more clearly and legibly now.

I just wanted to give my thanks to Barnes & Noble for their great work in making a good product better.  It's now very much worthwhile to subscribe to magazines on the Nook Color.

Frequent Contributor
lovemyjazz
0 Kudos

iam liking the update, it may be a tad slower, not sure,lol but i dont like when iam on the web, i used to just be able to swipe backwards from the "u" button in the middle to go back now i have to scroll all the way to the top and tap the back arrow...hummm

i dont know if the app i bought comes due to the update, its intune i believe is the name we get radio and talk radio from all over and thats fun !!!

Frequent Contributor
Randy_Hayes
0 Kudos

lovemyjazz wrote:

iam liking the update, it may be a tad slower, not sure,lol but i dont like when iam on the web, i used to just be able to swipe backwards from the "u" button in the middle to go back now i have to scroll all the way to the top and tap the back arrow...hummm

i dont know if the app i bought comes due to the update, its intune i believe is the name we get radio and talk radio from all over and thats fun !!!

You can still swipe left in the blank area at the bottom of the screen to access the "back" gesture.  It works for me just as it did before.

Wordsmith
mbratch

Yeah, some of the griping reminds me of this routine:

Everything's Amazing But Nobody's Happy

I've had my NC for a year now and just love it. I've ranted (in a good way) about it to a few friends along the way. I manually loaded the 1.4.1 update and it does, in my opinion, offer some very nice improvements (some I have personally been waiting for, at least). What was fun this time is that I manually loaded it without using a PC :smileyhappy:. I recently purchased the QuickOffice Pro app which has a built-in file manager. So I downloaded the 1.4.1 upgrade zip using my NC web browser, then used QOP to move the file to the root folder. After 10 min or so, the NC upgraded. No PC. :smileyhappy:

Anyway, kudos for B&N for a great product. Yeah, there are still a couple of things I'd like to see improved, but I have not had any significant issues in the year I've owned it. I only hope that B&N can continue to compete against Amazon, who seems to enjoy a much greater attention in the press (being a darling of the tech market, perhaps due to the diversity of their product/service offerings).

Contributor
Hardegree
0 Kudos

Also an out of the box Nook Color user and I'm happy with it for the most part.  I uploaded the new update and it worked perfectly the first time.  Not sure why so many people are having problems!

I don't however like using the N button - this is going to wear out eventually.  Hopefully BN will realize that and change it back.  

My only other complaint is the shelving system.  I want to get rid of the KIDS tab, and I'd also like my books I have on the SD card to STAY shelved when I put them on there!!

Frequent Contributor
mocha2009
0 Kudos

OK, the biggest and best change for me regarding the upgrade is that somehow my wifi connectivity has improved.  Before the upgrade, I found myself constantly turning my wifi off and on while surving the web.  I would receive error messages or web page not found messages.  Now, I've only received the error message while trying to navigate through the Nook store  but I'm able to surf uninterrupted.

I'm pretty much a happy camper although I am STILL waiting for my replacement USB cord that I ordered November 19th:smileyhappy: