Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

Adobe Flash 10

I am anxiously awaiting the App Store on BN !

In the meantime, why is it that since the Nook Color is an Adobe platform I keep getting the message that Adobe 10 ( or 9) for the matter cannot be downloaded. 

Also, I readon another Nook Color site that the apk will allow one to connect with Netflix, but I when I did so it told me I needed silverlight dmg ...I HAD already done so...

Thanks for your help!

Readercat

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Flash 10

1. The Nook Color is an Android platform, not Adobe.  However, Adobe flash will be available in the next update.  My assumption is the same time as the App Store.

2. Netflix is not available for the Nook.  If I hear correctly, and I'll be correctly quickly if I'm wrong, Netflix is not available for the Android platform in general, on which the Nook is built.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

readercat24 wrote:

In the meantime, why is it that since the Nook Color is an Adobe platform I keep getting the message that Adobe 10 ( or 9) for the matter cannot be downloaded. 

Also, I readon another Nook Color site that the apk will allow one to connect with Netflix, but I when I did so it told me I needed silverlight dmg ...I HAD already done so...

Thanks for your help!

Readercat

Adobe Flash is a display technology for video.    Adobe Reader is a display technology for printed documents.    The operating system is Android which is produced by Google, not Adobe.   In any event, the version of Android on the NC currently, does not support Flash technology.   The upcoming NC update software will be a newer version of Android that does support Flash, and it will reportedly be built in.

NetFlix is a commercial product, and they currently do NOT make it available on ANY Android device, including cell phones, tablets and eReaders.    It is up to NetFlix to decide if they will or won't make it available on Android.

Silverlight is a Microsoft product similar in nature to Flash.    I don't know what platforms it is available on.

Computing devices have operating systems.    Ereaders, smart cell phones (smartphones), tablets, laptop computers, desktops and so forth all have operating systems.   There are many different operating systems.   Windows, Mac os (IOs), LUNIX, UNIX, Android, Symbian, RIM, Palm and so forth.   Each operating system is different and requires the applications that run on it be written specifically for it, or in a portable programming language (such as Java) that is supported on that Operating System.

That may as clear as mud to you...so to simplify further....Think of it as taking a Ford engine and trying to swap it into a Chevy pickup.   Besides the bolt holes not lining up, the Chevy engine controller (a computer) doesn't know how to run a Ford engine.

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
ratman6161
0 Kudos

That's correct.  Netflix is not currently available on any Android platform (though it is available on Apple devices and Windows Phone 7).  This is not an Android issue or a Nook issue per se - its just that Netflix hasn't released an Android app.  So until they do the update for the Nook Color will not help.

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl

donc13 wrote:

readercat24 wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Readercat

...Computing devices have operating systems.    Ereaders, smart cell phones (smartphones), tablets, laptop computers, desktops and so forth all have operating systems.   There are many different operating systems.   Windows, Mac os (IOs), LUNIX, UNIX, Android, Symbian, RIM, Palm and so forth.   Each operating system is different and requires the applications that run on it be written specifically for it, or in a portable programming language (such as Java) that is supported on that Operating System.

That may as clear as mud to you...so to simplify further....Think of it as taking a Ford engine and trying to swap it into a Chevy pickup.   Besides the bolt holes not lining up, the Chevy engine controller (a computer) doesn't know how to run a Ford engine.

This is the best explanation I have ever read and I imagine it will be helpful to many. I've got many years of computing experience--but have always been a bit flummoxed when it comes to explaining operating systems and why things aren't always compatible across the board. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

Thank you one and all !

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification(s)!

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

it is soooooooo nice to have up to date people to whom we can turn!

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As I understand it Android is not deemed secure enough for Netflix.  Some Android devices have added some additional security measures and have permission for their Netflix app.  Some next generation processors will have the security built in and have the capability of running Netflix.  So don't expect Netflix on the current NC.  These processors are more expensive and I just don't see why B&N would make the NC more expensive to add Netflix.  Maybe if Amazon offers a color ereader that supports Netflix it would make sense. 

http://blog.laptopmag.com/netflix-for-android-demoed-on-qualcomm-ti-chips-with-drm-support

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

Thank you for taking the time to address the problem!

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

mogulman wrote:

As I understand it Android is not deemed secure enough for Netflix.  Some Android devices have added some additional security measures and have permission for their Netflix app.  Some next generation processors will have the security built in and have the capability of running Netflix.  So don't expect Netflix on the current NC.  These processors are more expensive and I just don't see why B&N would make the NC more expensive to add Netflix.  Maybe if Amazon offers a color ereader that supports Netflix it would make sense. 

http://blog.laptopmag.com/netflix-for-android-demoed-on-qualcomm-ti-chips-with-drm-support

Amazon will not offer a color e-reader that supports Netflix (not without rooting anyway) anymore than B&N will allow the Kindle app on the NC. While Amazon's streaming videos feature is limited at the moment, it's pretty clear in which direction they are going.

Guess not too many people are willing to learn from the DRM debacle in music.

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

hanks for taking the time to answer!

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

@readercat24--Just out of curiosity, what was the other NookColor site where you read that the apk will allow one to connect with Netflix?

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

apk question

Dear Chippm...

I don't remember offhand, but will look for it and write...

Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

OK...here's one of the sites that mentioned Nook and apk "in the same sentence"!

SlateDroid.com

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

There's actually an APK for netflix that leaked.  Apparently it does not have  the DRM component yet, so the leak mostly shows Netflix is actively developing for Android.

BTW, I don't think it's Netflix to blame for the heel-dragging as the lawyers for Hollywood, who have some serious language in the licensing agreements with Netflix about locking conntent down. 

The entire Netflix streaming business rides on that lockdown working for content they provide.  I have no problem with them taking their sweet time. 

http://androidforums.com/samsung-fascinate/298603-leaked-netflix-apk.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
readercat24
0 Kudos

Now we know who the villains are in this saga !

I, too, feel the same way about waiting...I don't mind as long as I know i it is in the works ...

BTW, have you heard about the app for the NYTimes for Nook?  I downloaded it to my computer desktop and am waiting for the e-mail explaining how to install it on the Nook...this is a DONE DEAL and they're (NYTimes) supposed to contact the subscribers via e-mail this week.

Whee !

Readercat

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

There's actually an APK for netflix that leaked.  Apparently it does not have  the DRM component yet, so the leak mostly shows Netflix is actively developing for Android.

BTW, I don't think it's Netflix to blame for the heel-dragging as the lawyers for Hollywood, who have some serious language in the licensing agreements with Netflix about locking conntent down. 

The entire Netflix streaming business rides on that lockdown working for content they provide.  I have no problem with them taking their sweet time. 

http://androidforums.com/samsung-fascinate/298603-leaked-netflix-apk.html

Right.  The same "issues" exist for Linux users.  :smileymad:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I just use the Android app for the Times.  Works great.  Hasn't nagged me about paying yet.  (But then again, I haven't updated since they announced the paywall....)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.