Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

[All] Online purchases effects on stores

I really like my local B&N store, but now do most purchasing via my nookcolor in the form of ebooks and apps. I still go in for coffee and hard copy that isn't ebook format yet. Occasionally, I buy gifts and such there. Does my local store get "credit" for any of my ebook purchasing, as regards keeping them in the neighborhood? I have a membership that would indicate my home location, I guess, and that is tied into my online account data...just curious, having come from retail sales at one point and having gone through last year vs this year sales reporting and goals and such.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: [All] Online purchases effects on stores

Also, on the website, you can pick local BN store as your 'home' store.  I would hope that BN is already crediting those stores' customers with some kind of internal recognition, but if not, absolutely they should.

Now, I am putting on my Swami Roustabout hat and seeing the future:  This suggestion will be described as submitted, after which Sam will have a codicil added to her oaths of secrecy. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Normysmom- Thanks very much for this suggestion, what a creative idea for honoring your local store! We love to hear when people love their local Barnes and Noble.

As Roustabout accurately mentioned, I have indeed forwarded this along to our internal team. Thanks to both of you! 

RHWright

I've brought this up elsewhere before, but since it seems on-topic, I'll reiterate:

1) Give stores actual sales credit (full or partial) when I make a purchase when attached to the in-store Wi-Fi network. The efforts of the store, from proper execution of merchandising to helpful service and suggestions, can & do play a role in NOOK customers purchasing decisions. Those store efforts should be rewarded with credit towards sales. As a former retail employee, I know how much that one KPI impacts so many other areas of employee lives, from payroll hours to performance reviews.

2) Add functionality to the devices similar to what we can do online: find non-NOOK items and place requests to hold merchandise in-store. This will help increase store sales as well. See #1 for why this is a good thing.

One thing I already do to "help out" my local store is buy gift cards there and use those to make my NOOK content purchases. Then, at least the store gets that sale and credit for a GC sale.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

I like the gift card idea...that is easy to do and I will still earn airline miles. Now, if they would promote reading by giving me airline miles equivalent to the pages in each book I purchase...I would buy even more books ;0)
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
AikiPen
0 Kudos

Just found out from my local preferred B&N when I was reloading my gift card, you can now buy an ebook at the cash register in the store. I ALWAYS keep my gift card loaded because I don't want to hit my credit card. Buying a book for cash at the cash register is very cool. I wonder if this will lead into being able to purchase an ebook as a gift for someone else during the upcoming holiday season.

RHWright
0 Kudos

AikiPen wrote:

Just found out from my local preferred B&N when I was reloading my gift card, you can now buy an ebook at the cash register in the store. I ALWAYS keep my gift card loaded because I don't want to hit my credit card. Buying a book for cash at the cash register is very cool. I wonder if this will lead into being able to purchase an ebook as a gift for someone else during the upcoming holiday season.

This sounds interesting, but how do the logistics work so it gets to your account? Do they have to enter an email address for the account?

AikiPen
0 Kudos

RHWright - I have no idea, haven't used it yet. I was reloading my gift card I keep tied to my account, the the B&N guy (probably the most knowledgeable nook/electronics guy in the store) mentioned it.

When I find out more I'll post. Both my kids have nooks N1 on separate accounts. Might try to 'gift' a book to them and see what happens.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

AikiPen wrote:

That's interesting, I hadn't heard about this. I'll have to ask my store manager next time I'm at work.

I also love the idea upthread that the store should get credit if you make your purchase over their WiFi network.

Wordsmith
Melissa19

At customer service you can request a print out of the ebook you would like, either for yourself, or as a gift. Then you take the paper to the cashier and tell them the email of the person your are sending it to. They can look up the email if they are a member but if you don't know the email you can send it to yourself and then forward the email to the recipient. There is an activation code on your receipt as well as in the email from bn. This has to be entered on the BN.com account when the ebook is purchased. As a heads up, check that the price of the ebook is accurate on the print out and that you are not paying the book price.
Melissa19
RHWright
0 Kudos

I guess this means you can now purchase specific e-Books as gifts for people, rather than just giving them a gift card & a suggestion on what to read.

If they don't like the gift, and don't use the activation code, can they exchange it for something else?

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

Ebooks are non-returnable. Stated on receipt. Guess you could give it to someone else.
Melissa19