Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb

Amazing Work On the Update

I couldn't find an appropriate thread to taxk this on, so please forgive anpothe U thread. I walked across the hall to Nerdville at our Unoiversity Business School to ask them what they thought of my 1.2 non-rooted NC (The same group that saw it before the update)

I suprised at their reaction. I didn't get a lot of feed back on the actual device. They talked more about the engineering team. The decided there were some genuises at work. The bottom line was that somehow they managed to take Flash designed for a PC based system, speeds and memories put it together with a mobile based system (android 2.2) and have the thing work BEST for all functions on Desk Top mode more lake a PC system.

Then they went on to say 'll bet there are some wierd things popping up from time to time...... And it will be intresting how much better it will work after the device is used for a while and stuff can find its way around (unless it gets lost on the way there and needs some help getting there)

These guys BTW are a BETA Development for Microsoft. (We have some amazing things for our business students)

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Re: Amazing Work On the Update

You should put them in touch with the design team...I bet the tech guys and gals at B&N would appreciate the POSITIVE feedback ;0)

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

In general, I agree but there are still some issues.  They messed up video playback.  Videos that played great on 1.1 studder terribly on 1.2.  Flash works on lower res/lower bitrate videos.  On higher bit rate flash video it studders a lot.  They need to document this in order to set expectations correctly.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

mogulman wrote:

In general, I agree but there are still some issues.  They messed up video playback.  Videos that played great on 1.1 studder terribly on 1.2.  Flash works on lower res/lower bitrate videos.  On higher bit rate flash video it studders a lot.  They need to document this in order to set expectations correctly.

I think that can be fixed (supposedly in the next few weeks there is supposed to patch. What I've heard is that it's a partitioning problem of some sort. The fact that a hard reset imrpoves (I didn't say cure) the video performance gives feet to that theory

We have 17 year old over there finishing his Mastere degree. As I amprolly the 1st 60 year old doctrate canidate they have ever seen, these kids think I'm senile so put things in VERY simple terms. The way this kid puts it is the BN engineers have neither Gingerbread (but have Gingerbread problems) nor have Froyo, but rather their OWN version. He suspects that what is really coming is a new hardware platform that can do it all...........

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe

[ Edited ]

So a bunch of developers who are working on stuff for Microsoft are so unplugged from what the competition is doing that they were blown away by the fact that Android incorporated Flash, what two versions of the OS back? And they think B&N did it? Rather than Adobe in partnership with Google? Not sure I'd really rely much on any technical "expert" who is so clearly out of the loop on current technology.

Don't get me wonrg, I think it's great that B&N are updating and supporting their device. But they hardly deserve credit for other's development let's give credit where it is actually due.

And like I said, you'd have to be pretty far out of the loop on the current state of mobile tech to not realize that Android had Flash support.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

zenaxe wrote:

So a bunch of developers who are working on stuff for Microsoft are so unplugged from what the competition is doing that they were blown away by the fact that Android incorporated Flash, what two versions of the OS back? And they think B&N did it? Rather than Adobe in partnership with Google? Not sure I'd really rely much on any technical "expert" who is so clearly out of the loop on current technology.

Don't get me wonrg, I think it's great that B&N are updating and supporting their device. But they hardly deserve credit for other's development let's give credit where it is actually due.

And like I said, you'd have to be pretty far out of the loop on the current state of mobile tech to not realize that Android had Flash support.

You seem to be a little out of the loop yourself....  Even adobe says that despite giving flash support to 2.2. Its unlikley that most devices will be able to run it unless its built in (precluding OTA updates for most devices.) HTC is the first to build it in (so far) BN is the first to offer it as an update. Adobe also says its up to devices engineering teams to figure out HOW to make it work.

These guys are impressed that BN has been able to that. Others have not (they also question at what point do you start to ask questions about what/how much the HARDWARE can handle..............)

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TNTLamb wrote:

zenaxe wrote:

You seem to be a little out of the loop yourself....  Even adobe says that despite giving flash support to 2.2. Its unlikley that most devices will be able to run it unless its built in (precluding OTA updates for most devices.) HTC is the first to build it in (so far) BN is the first to offer it as an update. Adobe also says its up to devices engineering teams to figure out HOW to make it work.

These guys are impressed that BN has been able to that. Others have not (they also question at what point do you start to ask questions about what/how much the HARDWARE can handle..............)

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me.  My Droid X (Motorola) did not come with Froyo preloaded.  It came with Eclair and no Flash.  It was provided through an update, just as with B&N.  And it runs far better on my phone in desktop mode than it does on my NC.

I must be missing something in your explanation.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would hope it would tum better on an X. You have better hard-ware ( hardware designed to stream video from the git go and run flash when available), an OS designed for a Phone and few other things (key is being able to kill your apps. to free up memory) BTW Motorola engimeers put their update together not google OR adobe.....

There was a whole lot MORE to adding it to a tablet that grabbed android to get an ereader out by christmas.

I don't see the difficulty here. A bunch of University level IT/computer scirnce folks were impressed with how much BN engineers packed into an OTA update. for piece of hardware designed to do something else.........

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik

@TNTLamb:

I, for one, appreciate your kudos delivery!

As for the rest of you?

Cool it with the Negative Waves

Nook Color Wallpapers
Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TNTLamb wrote:

I would hope it would tum better on an X. You have better hard-ware ( hardware designed to stream video from the git go and run flash when available), an OS designed for a Phone and few other things (key is being able to kill your apps. to free up memory) BTW Motorola engimeers put their update together not google OR adobe.....

There was a whole lot MORE to adding it to a tablet that grabbed android to get an ereader out by christmas.

I don't see the difficulty here. A bunch of University level IT/computer scirnce folks were impressed with how much BN engineers packed into an OTA update. for piece of hardware designed to do something else.........

*shrugs*  You may not because you already knew what you were talking about.  I didn't.  You made it sound as if the NC was the only device to ever have had Flash pushed to it through an Android update.  Hence the statement I made about being confused.

Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NookonErik wrote:

@TNTLamb:

As for the rest of you?

Cool it with the Negative Waves

Whatever.  Asking for clarification is not being negative.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Its not the first (nor the last) time I'm not so clear as I think. In any event without all the other stuff... this was clearly, to these guys, a FAR more complicated project than it would seem to be on the surface...............

BTW the marketing guys are predicting a super nook soon with greatly enhanced hardware. The Finace guys think BN stock may well be a bargain. Even if Amazon does PL a piec from another vendor (similar) they will not be able capitalize on residual sales the way BN is set up too. Their piece will have to be a profit item from the git go where as the BN piece doesn't have to produce front end margins.

A sad secret is margins on open source  electronics are far higher than the 10% assumed by the media.............

Nallia
0 Kudos

TNTLamb wrote:

Its not the first (nor the last) time I'm not so clear as I think. In any event without all the other stuff... this was clearly, to these guys, a FAR more complicated project than it would seem to be on the surface...............

BTW the marketing guys are predicting a super nook soon with greatly enhanced hardware. The Finace guys think BN stock may well be a bargain. Even if Amazon does PL a piec from another vendor (similar) they will not be able capitalize on residual sales the way BN is set up too. Their piece will have to be a profit item from the git go where as the BN piece doesn't have to produce front end margins.

A sad secret is margins on open source  electronics are far higher than the 10% assumed by the media.............

I get what you're saying now.  I explained because I didn't want you to think I was trying to put you down.  :smileyhappy:

That's interesting.  I am really looking forward to seeing where the next few years takes us.

Frequent Contributor
Lilliepop
0 Kudos

i dont really see a difference in the performance of flash on my cell compared to my cell. i do think its amusing that the university nerds geeked out over the update. it just shows how versatile android is. i like the kudos, by the way. there has been way too much griping about inane things on this site.

:smileysurprised:

k2nax
0 Kudos

Hmm, I agree with everything you said until that last comment.  No one is putting a busines case together at 10% margin.  You can barely afford the cost of money at that rate.  The case for the NC had to be in the 40% range to even go in to production.  That's what we would be shooting for if it was a camera.  You can always tell the margin by the packaging.  The NC has outstanding packaging for this price point.  They also benefited by a sales force that was already in place.

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually thats what I said, and again didb't make myself clear, 40%would be minmum but with the residual sales  It doesn't need to be keystoned at much more that the 20% reported. Amazon would have to do more........... Ther costs of sales is much higher.

Most consumers don't realize that retail markups are really much higher than they think..........

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

NookonErik wrote:

@TNTLamb:

As for the rest of you?

"Why don't you knock off the negative waves!"

Whatever.  Asking for clarification is not being negative.

Your post above my comment was asking for clarification? I suppose it was, but your question was pretty much a side order to an entree of curmudgeon!

Nook Color Wallpapers
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Well apparently the University Geeks aren't so geeky after all....

New Nook

Stock Surge

etc etc......

k2nax
0 Kudos

Most consumers don't realize that retail markups are really much higher than they think..........

Yeah, this is the part I was disagreeing with, not the percentage.  Most consumers assume the markup is 50% and a "sale" is where you can save some $$.  The reality is the retailer is just cutting some of their margin to ramp up sales and make more $$ in the end.

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Sadly there are too many in the board rooms who think cutting margins and making up the difference in volume is a valid strategey. It is short term. Ulitmatley we end up with crap, and no value added at the retail end so many many jobs become min wage....  "course thats politics.............. so don't want to go there.