Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon 7" Color Tablet $250

FWIW, I have never rooted my device but I have run HC from an SD and am currently Running CM7 from an SD.

I have had Amazon App Store on both, here is how I am listed on Amazon

bn NookColor 

unknown LogicPD Zoom2

I am guessing CM7 is the BN NookColor and the HC SD Card is unknown LogicPD Zoom2,
Chubbs

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Chubby8055 wrote:

I have had Amazon App Store on both, here is how I am listed on Amazon

bn NookColor 

unknown LogicPD Zoom2

I am guessing CM7 is the BN NookColor
and the HC SD Card is unknown LogicPD Zoom2

Where and how do you see your device info on the amazon app store ?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

ps:  log into the Amazon website.  Go find an Android app.  Look on the righthand side of the page to see if the app is listed as working for you.  Orange box, labeled "Compatibility with Devices" just below the one-click checkout button. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Roustabout commented:

> I appear to have frustrated you with hypotheticals, and I apologize. 

...I'm a lawyer's kid, and I like hypotheticals. <

No apologizes required.  It's just that you dumped a whole xxxxload bunch of them, all at once, which I found a bit overwhelming.  :smileywink:

While one can certainly speculate about possible explanations, in 4-dimensions simultaneously, I prefer the Occam's razor approach.  (Besides, I get a closer shave that way. :smileyhappy:)

- Mark

Thanks for the list(s)!  I haven't looked into them all yet, but certainly will.  However, of those I checked, all were still fine for me on my LogicPD device, though not for your BarnesAndNoble device. 

Except one, which was QuickOfficePro.  Since I paid real money for that, and it was accessible initially, that implies something has changed.  If it really is locked out now, then Amazon will be getting a Ricky Ricardo call from me.  "Lucy!!  You got some splainin' to do!:smileyvery-happy:

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Roustabout wrote:

> I do need to study the device ID settings Google has for my NC - they're far out of date.  Possibly I will need to uninstall the Market, reinstall and put in a clean copy of my build.prop file <

That was one thing I meant to mention before.  I recall that when folks first started rooting their NCs, there was a bit of trouble getting the Android Market made available.  And once it was, there were still issues where many compatible Apps simply weren't showing up. 

Eventually that got resolved, but each time new rooting methods were developed, the same song & dance was gone through.  I never really paid much attention to the details.  Similar problems revolved around the Amazon store, when that arrived.  Which just makes me wonder if some of the problems you're experiencing are no more than settings issues on your Android build.

- Mark

roustabout
0 Kudos

At one point, I had stopped bothering with the Amazon store and restored QOP from a Titanium backup and it ran fine. 

I have been noticing some slowdowns since my adventure this week in the dimensions of updating to 1.3, rolling back, reinstalling en bloc from Titanium, then adding the amazon shop to my device again.  I just now uninstalled Amazon and QOP continues to launch, which is good (I bought it there, the day you flagged it as a very cheap place to score the app.) 

As an experiment, I've uninstalled QOP, reinstalled from backup and restarted... 

Oooh, and am now getting 'not enough power  to turn on' as my boot messge.  I had 45% remaining at the start of my reboot. 

Well, then, looks like tha refurb I orderd may wind up being my device, at least for a time.

Any rate, QOP is running fine without the Amazon appstore installed any longer.  It is able to check for updates within the app.  I don't know if the results of the check are accurate, of course. And as of now, the app is unknown to the Android market.  I could swear there was a time when the Android market knew about and offered me updates to this app.  But possibly I'm remembering something else.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Any rate, QOP is running fine without the Amazon appstore installed any longer.  It is able to check for updates within the app.  I don't know if the results of the check are accurate, of course.

Well, that's good to know.  Both that you can see it, and it still runs (without the Amazon appstore installed).  I had the impression that without that Appstore installed, none of the apps you obtained from there would be runnable.

My situation with QOP is rather strange.  I bought it in the Amazon store the same time you did, and everything was fine.  I did confirm now that it's flagged on their website as "Incompatible with my device".  When I went to my NC to run it from Extras, it wasn't there.  Also, when I do a lookup in the Amazon store on my NC, it doesn't see it in my installed app list.

However, it IS installed, as confirmed by Root Explorer.  Also if I search for it in the Amazon store on my NC, it finds it and knows I bought it, because there's an Open button there.  And it works.  It also shows up as an App that can be launched for any of the appropriate document types, when using any of the launchers other than B&N stock (which has everything hardwired).

It doesn't look like it's updating though, because the version is not as recent as in the Appstore, but it claims it's the most up-to-date.  Anyway, now I'm wondering what's going on.  Though since I never launch it via Extras, it probably doesn't matter much.

But if Amazon is actually trying to block stuff from B&N products, it's doing a pretty bad job.

- Mark

One other thing I noted about QOP is that on Amazon, the name has been suffixed with "(for Android Smartphones)".  Perhaps since the name doesn't match with what I installed, that's why it's having some troubles.

roustabout
0 Kudos

On the Great Big Aviation PDF versus the iPad 2:  Unfortunately, the friend I passed the file along to only has the iBook program on his pad, no other PDF reader.  He seems uninterested in doing comparative benchmarks on this.

That said:  the ipad is able to show a high-level view immediately, and can zoom in to pointless jagginess.

The area you first zoom in on comes into focus within 30 seconds, but only that area - move away or zoom out and you get back to very low resolution.

I was, in fact, never able to get to a point (after 5 minutes) where the entire PDF was rendered crisply. 

But that may well be a limitation of ibooks and not of pdf support on the device globally, but the ipad 2 did not magically bring the entire image into sharp resolution instantly :smileyhappy: 

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

That said:  the ipad is able to show a high-level view immediately, and can zoom in to pointless jagginess.

The area you first zoom in on comes into focus within 30 seconds, but only that area - move away or zoom out and you get back to very low resolution.

...the ipad 2 did not magically bring the entire image into sharp resolution instantly :smileyhappy: 

Thanks, Roustabout.  That's good to know.  I can't recall just now (and too lazy to look it up), but one of the Readers I was testing on the NC had similar behavior (I think I tried 5).  A rough overview fairly quickly, then more labored filling in of the details. 

Once it finally filled in (several minutes), moving to another offset started the process again.  But it seemed like I had to expose new areas to get it to "populate".  Idon't think I had enough patience for it to finish the whole thing, but did manage to get most of it in a detail zoom view, that I could scroll aroud in something approximating real-time.  Until I hit a portion that hadn't been previously exposed and rendered, then it was "go get a cup of coffee" mode again.

I should have tried that on my Transformer, before I gave it to my daughter for grad school.  but I can still try it on my TouchPad (after I turn off all the debug crap), and my ThinkPad.  They each have a couple PDF viewers.

- Mark