Correspondent
StarryNook
0 Kudos

An Update Solution for BN

What if they turned a blind eye and let everyone root their NC, yet still provided us with a valid warranty?  No update needed.

Of course it's not a feasible plan, and only sounds good in theory, but it would be a great solution for everyone involved.  Plus it would end the endless list of "update" threads.

All in favor, say aye!

~The best things in life aren't things~
Wordsmith
mariel9898

Re: An Update Solution for BN

They already do this. Everyone who wants to root can do so.:smileyhappy:

And the whole void warranty is a gray area of the law.

Contributor
Cthlhu

Get a warranty through SquareTrade ...its cheaper,  covers accidental drop and spills and you can get it for 3 years! ... root to your hearts delight. FACT - you can not brick your NookColor... unless you have a hardware problem its impossible to brick your NC. Personally I don't see the disadvantage of rooting. I still have all the original software (Library ,Shop, ect) but i also have gmail, gtalk, youtube, Comixology... and access to 1000s of apps.

Correspondent
StarryNook
0 Kudos

Yes, it probably is a gray area, but my point is that many don't root because it will void their warranty. If it remained valid to do so, I think everyone would feel very comfortable rooting their NC.

:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

StarryNook wrote:

Yes, it probably is a gray area, but my point is that many don't root because it will void their warranty. If it remained valid to do so, I think everyone would feel very comfortable rooting their NC.

My 2cents:......... I'm thinking a lot of people, Me included, dont relaly see enough benefit in rooting.

Now if they dont have a decent onboard file manager, Better DOC support and a better browser?? All bets are off.

JMHO  :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Wordsmith
mariel9898

StarryNook wrote:

You just contradicted yourself. The whole point of it being a gray area is that it might void your warranty and then again it might not. Until it's settled in a court of law we don't know.

Correspondent
StarryNook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

phoneboy wrote:

StarryNook wrote:

My 2cents:......... I'm thinking a lot of people, Me included, dont relaly see enough benefit in rooting.

Now if they dont have a decent onboard file manager, Better DOC support and a better browser?? All bets are off.

That's true too...not everyone will agree.  There are drawbacks for some, but will BN ever offer us much more than the rooting process can?

Correspondent
StarryNook
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

StarryNook wrote:

You just contradicted yourself. The whole point of it being a gray area is that it might void your warranty and then again it might not. Until it's settled in a court of law we don't know.

Yep, I understood that.  :smileywink:

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

"but will BN ever offer us much more than the rooting process can?"

Yes for some No for others. As we are talking degrees of acceptable function of the device for the individual. Some may want or need google street maps others not. Some may want bluetooth others not.

But the very nature of the rooting community is on the very cutting edge with make it do more. Like bluetooth, additional video codecs, overclocking the cpu,ect... Where a business is more inclined to go slow & stable as their motto.

As to the warranty issue. I don't care what the legalities of it. As rooted mine back in jan. and reset back to stock this month all factory fresh for the update coming. So how do they know I even rooted it? Or how can they not honor the warranty if they don't know it was rooted at one point in time?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Correspondent
StarryNook

orb9220 wrote:

Yes for some No for others. As we are talking degrees of acceptable function of the device for the individual. Some may want or need google street maps others not. Some may want bluetooth others not.

But the very nature of the rooting community is on the very cutting edge with make it do more. Like bluetooth, additional video codecs, overclocking the cpu,ect... Where a business is more inclined to go slow & stable as their motto.

As to the warranty issue. I don't care what the legalities of it. As rooted mine back in jan. and reset back to stock this month all factory fresh for the update coming. So how do they know I even rooted it? Or how can they not honor the warranty if they don't know it was rooted at one point in time?

Correct they should never know really, once you unroot.

I'm happy with what I can get with mine being rooted, especially when the price was much lower for such a device, compared to the competition.   And I won't forget that I solely purchased it, because it was an ereader.  But I'm spoiled now, and would find it difficult to go back to NC default settings.

As you stated, I do have the option to return to those settings to make my warranty valid again. Anyway, in time the warranty will expire, and hopefully no operating problems will arise during that time, and then I would have nothing to lose.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffWill

phoneboy wrote:

StarryNook wrote:

Don't forget better PDF handing and a useful photo gallery app :smileyhappy:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263

orb9220 wrote:

*putting on colander*

Well, if you log in here to post with the same account that is attached to your NC, they may already know because you told them.  All of the admins can click on your username and see your real information and your NOOK info, including the serial number and date you registered it.  :smileytongue:

Correspondent
StarryNook
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

*putting on colander*

Well, if you log in here to post with the same account that is attached to your NC, they may already know because you told them.  All of the admins can click on your username and see your real information and your NOOK info, including the serial number and date you registered it.  :smileytongue:

That's definitely a possibility, and could be used against you.   BN may check on that right away, to save themselves from repairing your NC in the event that it was no longer working correctly.

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb

Who know's we may be able to buy an autonooter SD card right at B& N when Frouyo and so forth finally work.....

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Correspondent
StarryNook
0 Kudos

TNTLamb wrote:

Who know's we may be able to buy an autonooter SD card right at B& N when Frouyo and so forth finally work.....

A possibility.  You never know :smileywink:

Contributor
nickyntiff
0 Kudos

is the new update going to include all the features of rooting? and is rooting the nook going to support flash? as for the squaretrade warranty, they're policies are similar to bn in that rooted nc will void the warranty.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

*putting on colander*

And the PR would be a nightmare.  (Remember all the tech articles?)

I doubt they are that dense.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Nallia
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Nallia wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

*putting on colander*

I highly doubt they would do it as well.  But sometimes it's fun to join in on the conspiracy theories.  :smileywink:

Nallia
0 Kudos

nickyntiff wrote:
is the new update going to include all the features of rooting? and is rooting the nook going to support flash? as for the squaretrade warranty, they're policies are similar to bn in that rooted nc will void the warranty.

No one knows for sure just what is going to be included in the update because B&N isn't telling anyone very much.

Distinguished Correspondent
LGman

riffrafff wrote:

Ahhh, but how dense is dense?  it's all relative.  On the scale of neutron star to hydrogen gas, I'd place them somewhere around lead.:smileywink:

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.