Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Another update that won't install

I just downloaded the 1.4 update, followed the directions, and it won't install.  I still have 1.3.

I am so tired of things not working.  It should not be this difficult to do a simple update.  And my NC is stock right out of the box.  It came with 1.2 and I installed 1.3 with absolutely no problem.

Contributor
danvee
0 Kudos

Re: Another update that won't install

You might want to try it again: I had a similar issue this morning.

After d/ling to my NC I allowed it to "sleep" for a few hours and nothing happened.

I hooked back up to my computer, re-downloaded the update, transferred it to the NC and within 5 minutes it rebooted and installed correctly.

Dan

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

Sometimes downloads get corrupted, especially when servers are stressed. Re-download and try again.

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67

[ Edited ]

You need to follow the directions, and if you are rooted, you'll have to unroot to get the update to work. I was able to install the upgrade with no problems at all. It's not at all difficult if you follow the instructions. I suspect user error. You're probably ignoring the part where it says to copy the update to the root directory and copying it somewhere else instead.

Reader 4
Kreekie
0 Kudos

At least you got it to install; the stupid GDF cord isn't recognized by either of my computers so I guess I have to go the snails pace and wait for the over the air download. And I reccomended this, why?
Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I said my NC was stock, right out of the box.  This is not rooted.

I followed the directions exactly.  Remeber I said that I installed 1.3 the same way with no problem.

For some reason this is not going to install with some fiddling and if shouldn't be this way.

New User
Hillarican
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issues as MLBerry:

Factory NC. Not rooted. 

Downloaded 1.4 and copied it to the root of the NC.

I let it sleep overnight and nothing happened.

I tried several methods of upgrading.  From downloading to a folder and copying it to the root of NC and I've also tried to download it straight to the NC root directory.  Nothing seems to work. 

Any suggestions?!

I just want to tell you both, good luck.... We're all counting on you...
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Delete the 1st download on your PC and Nook.

Download the update file again n drag it to your Nook and see what happens

sometimes downloads get corrupted.

Myself and sev others dwnloaded and it worked 1st time no problem(as you did with 1.3).

Frustrating as hell?  Yep

Keep pushin on   :smileywink:

Good luck

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Reader 2
Kuklaguera

I posted this elsewhere. Here's my experience. I downloaded successfully, nothing happened (previous downloads/installs works perfectly). I turned my NC off, then back on, turned on WiFi (I get weak signal), hit the sync circle in lower left corner and it started 'working.' (Turned itself off, etc., back on.) Update now up & running. Hope this helps.

Inspired Correspondent
jrussell1
0 Kudos

Try taking your sd card out. Then repeat this process.  It seems that my update was going in there and not loading when I dragged it in.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just downloaded it directly to the root drive/directory.  And nothing.  I will try the different things people have suggested, but it should not be this difficult.

By the way I have downloaded and re-downloaded 5 or 6 times.  Not all of these files can be corrupted in the download process.

Contributor
nookclrlvr
0 Kudos

Do you have a B&N store nearby?  They will install it for you :smileywink:  

Contributor
KungFuNC
0 Kudos

I had some trouble with this update as well.  Followed BN directions precisely but when my NC went to sleep it just kept snoozing.  So, rather than repeat the process again, I followed the advise in another thread, rebooted my NC (after the 3rd try using the BN directions) and Boom!  1.4.1 installed in a flash!

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Things to try......

Pray...

Sacrifice a goat over a Fire...

...ok, maybe not...

NO Sd card in slot,

Copy the Zipped file directly to root, or main directory (not inside a folder) of the Nook, make sure windows does not unzip this for you. 

Connect to Nook Power adaptor

In the past, I have totally powered down the NC to totally off, but after a restart, mine did not update to 1.4.1, but, after the first sleep cycle afterwards, it did do the update.  I was puzzled by this, but have no explanation why the update didnt start right off the bat. 

Update installed  with no further suprises.  Not sure if any of this helps you or others, but thought I'd throw it out there anyhow.  Be sure to let us know what it takes  to get yours  updated, its gotta be something simple.....

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I got it installed.  I downloaded it using Internet Explorer ranther than Firefox.  I turned off the Nook before I pluged it into my computer.  Then I copied and pasted it to the root directory and it installed.

I have no idea why this worked.  The IE file was the exact same file size as the Firefox downloads.  I know because I looked.  It makes no sense to me why it worked this time and not on the others.

Wordsmith
alliecatTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MLBerry wrote:

I got it installed.  I downloaded it using Internet Explorer ranther than Firefox.  I turned off the Nook before I pluged it into my computer.  Then I copied and pasted it to the root directory and it installed.

I have no idea why this worked.  The IE file was the exact same file size as the Firefox downloads.  I know because I looked.  It makes no sense to me why it worked this time and not on the others.

Good to know!  My download yesterday via Firefox was corrupted.  Guess I'll try again with Explorer.

Edit: I was able to get the update with IE, and it's installing now.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

I could not get it to install the 3 times I tried with crome but it installed right away for me with IE. 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

alliecatTX wrote:

MLBerry wrote:

Good to know!  My download yesterday via Firefox was corrupted.  Guess I'll try again with Explorer.

I downloaded 1.4 last night w/ Firefox.  Plugged in my NC, dragged and dropped, disconnected device, and my Nook took over and that was it.  Very straightforward and fairly fast.  I'd be curious why it is working smoothly for some devices and not others?  There's gotta be something else at play...

Wordsmith
alliecatTX
0 Kudos

tuck229 wrote:

alliecatTX wrote:

MLBerry wrote:

I downloaded 1.4 last night w/ Firefox.  Plugged in my NC, dragged and dropped, disconnected device, and my Nook took over and that was it.  Very straightforward and fairly fast.  I'd be curious why it is working smoothly for some devices and not others?  There's gotta be something else at play...

It installed without a hitch.  I figure that yesterday's download with Firefox got corrupted for some never to be known reason - heavy internet traffic, bad connection on my end, who knows?.  I sideloaded 1.2 with no issues, then couldn't get 1.3 to work (I had to take it to a local B&N, where even the Nook expert had a terrible time getting it to my device).  After my 1.3 troubles, I was a bit nervous, but all is well now...at least until I find something to complain about in the update! :smileywink:

New User
Hillarican
0 Kudos

jrussell-  No SD card installed. 

I just want to tell you both, good luck.... We're all counting on you...