Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

Any word on an Autonooter?

I am ready for my NC to be all it can be - but don't think I'm ready/capable of doing a manual root. I keep seeing, "hang in there, the autonooter is on its way for 1.2s." Any word from the nooter-developers on what kind of progress is being made?

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

Re: Any word on an Autonooter?

I was waiting on autonooter for a while too, but the manual version really isn't any more difficult. In fact it's not really manual at all. The only extra step is that you have to set up a clockwork recovery micro SD card, which if you've done autonooter in the past you should be able to handle. Then you simply boot from it and select the manual nooter zip file. Everything else is done automatically.
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I've been waiting also. I think I'll go the manual route if they don't have it out by this weekend. I'd rather really have another autonooter because I've read people are having issues with the manual one.

According to one XDA thread as of today they are 95% there.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Just do the 6.2/HC dual SD boot. The 6.2 works way better than the stock 1.2, and you get Android market and just about everything else.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

And you can use the free VitalPlayer to play .avi movies, no more comverting. And no movie issues like on the 1.2

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Agreed that manual nooter is dead easy.

For those interested in status on autonooter, may I suggest that you consider:  if you have access to the full marketplace, is that valuable to you?  Will you be likely to purchase apps? 

In that case, it's worth donating to the developers working hard on autonooter, who are surely adding considerable value to the device for you. 

I find the devs I've paid for their hard work are very responsive to questions, even frustrating (for them) questions.  I have an app that I like a lot, so I bought the pro key for it.  I was having a particular issue with it in CM7 and phiremod, and I asked the dev - who I knew was in Europe - if he knew what was up. 

He explained that, living in Europe, he did not have a nook color and so could not be 100% of how his app would behave on stock, let alone on one of the derivative ROM branches.  He did, however, make a valuable suggestion for a workaround, which did work out for me. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
mariel9898

I've donated to XDA and to some devs and will do so again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

@Mariel:  Excellent!  good to hear.  

@Scosgt:  How is battery life on the phiremod builds? I don't mind 1.2, in large because (with the overclock) I get as good or better battery life (I was charging every other day before I installed Netflix) as I did with 1.1 and a fast little guy.  I'd heard that battery was still an issue on the alternates. 

But getting the real nook app, and being able to use a keyboard - sweet! 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Origamist
0 Kudos

I was wondering the same thing so thank you for asking!  I have already donated to some of the people at XDA forums and I really appreciate all of the work they are doing.  :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

I was waiting on autonooter and a friend finally talked me into just doing manual nooter and it is great!  I did it last night, took very little time at all.  My main issue came with making my CWR image but that was because I was dumb and couldn't figure out that I needed to burn the image onto the SD, not just copy and paste it there.  Once I got that figured out with the help of the Customize Your Nook Color Facebook page, I was good to go!  I now have full access to the Android market and I can still access my stock B&N interface.  I am having some trouble getting used to the Zeam launcher but I think that's because I've never used Android before.  My phone is iOS so that's what I am used to.  Anyway, so far I am loving it! 

If I can do the manual nooter, ANYBODY CAN!

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

ladytonya wrote:

I was waiting on autonooter and a friend finally talked me into just doing manual nooter and it is great!  I did it last night, took very little time at all.  My main issue came with making my CWR image but that was because I was dumb and couldn't figure out that I needed to burn the image onto the SD, not just copy and paste it there.  Once I got that figured out with the help of the Customize Your Nook Color Facebook page, I was good to go!  I now have full access to the Android market and I can still access my stock B&N interface.  I am having some trouble getting used to the Zeam launcher but I think that's because I've never used Android before.  My phone is iOS so that's what I am used to.  Anyway, so far I am loving it! 

Can you post a link to the step by step you followed?

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

Question about dual booting from an SD card---

When you download apps (or sideload, whichever is the right way to do it) do they stay on the card for the next time you boot from the card?

Contributor
sezwik
0 Kudos

DRV wrote:

When you download apps (or sideload, whichever is the right way to do it) do they stay on the card for the next time you boot from the card?

Yep.  Easy peasy. :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

chuck4prez wrote:

ladytonya wrote:

Can you post a link to the step by step you followed?

Nevermind, I am now manual nootered. Was easier than it looked. Tomorrow i will tackle that thread on netflix!
DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

sezwik wrote:

DRV wrote:

Yep.  Easy peasy. :smileytongue:

Yeah, that's what I thought.  It wouldn't make sense any other way but often there are strange wrinkles to this software stuff.  :smileysurprised:  I wanted to make sure before I made some rash decision that I would come to regret.

Thanks.

Contributor
jpelc2
0 Kudos

Trying to set up my CWM SD card. I got the correct version per the the XDA manual nooter thread written to my SD card. However when I go to copy the ManualNooter zip file to the SD card Windows Explorer wants to format the card. What do I need to do?

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

jpelc2 wrote:

Trying to set up my CWM SD card. I got the correct version per the the XDA manual nooter thread written to my SD card. However when I go to copy the ManualNooter zip file to the SD card Windows Explorer wants to format the card. What do I need to do?

I am not the thread police and so I do not object to you posting this here.  I think however you might get a little more detailed help if you also post this in the Technical Support forum. Some may object to duplicative posting, but I think that since this forum is most active that posting in both places is ok.  If anyone objects be sure to say that I told you it was ok.  :smileyhappy:

You might also want to ask in the xda developers forum.  They are the gurus on this stuff. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=862

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

jpelc2 wrote:

you sure you are using "windows explorer" and not "my computer"? I just nootered yesterday and learned the difference myself. If you right mouse click on the start button and select "explore" it should take you to windows explorer.

Contributor
jpelc2
0 Kudos

I'm using windows explorer. I guess I'll try in a different section. Didn't run into this problem with autonooter as it was just writing everything at once to the SD

Contributor
tommy5c
0 Kudos

Have you considered not going doing the mooter method, instead trying something like phiremod or cyanogenmod. I did the nooter and thought it was a little clunky. True, it maintains the feel of the original nc software, but i didn't like it. After installing phiremod it became a true tablet, and i can still have the nook. All you do is install it from the marketplace. It's easy to do, there is a video tutorial on www.toosmartguys.com i show how easy it is and step by step how to. I'm just telling you because compared to the nookdevs, it's alot smoother.