Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone NOT going to update right away?

Feh5 wrote:

I will probably wait. After everything we have learned about BN customer service and support, I dont think they will have the skills to handle potential problems. So, I may wait a few weeks. Waited this long....what's a few more weeks.

But they're in training now for the update, didn't you see the post?

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
Koolgooseygramma
0 Kudos

I am not sure if I want an update or not.  I keep my wifi off unless I am downloading a book.  If I download a book  after the update, I assume my NOOKcolor will automatically receive this update.

I do not know how to block an update.  I have not rooted my NC.

Frequent Contributor
Feh5
0 Kudos

That is funny riffraff :smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

riffraff  I'll give you two cents right now for that spot.  On the other hand I will be Test Pilot for the update and let you know if I need to break out the heavy artillery.:smileysurprised: 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

I'm thinking, maybe a contest.  First correct answer gets my spot in line.  Whaddya think?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
JaconKin
0 Kudos

Updating asap, why the hell these devices that have internet browsing but no flash is just stupid.
Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

JaconKin wrote:
Updating asap, why the hell these devices that have internet browsing but no flash is just stupid.

When you have Flash, you have Flash updates 3 times a week. Also some of the worst security vulnerabilities.

If it's possible for you to keep Adobe away from your computer, it's always a good idea.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

I get Google Chrome updates every other day on my Linux boxes.  :smileysurprised:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
JaconKin
0 Kudos

Funny how when my nookcolor starts it says powered by Adobe such and such, flash is just fine as long as you aren't stupid stupid in your browsing. Or if you Steve Jobs and a disciple of his.
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

After all the drooling for the update and then - - wait to update?  WAIT before getting the new update?!  Ya gotta be kidding.

When that update comes out it's MINE, all mine! 

Unless, of course, it's all screwed up.  Hmmm - but I will have already gotten it.  Oh sh@%!

OK, so who wants to get it first and let us know how it works for you?  :smileyindifferent:

Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3

I've got my rooted NC loaded to the T. So I'll do a To backup and see what happens. If I don't like it I'll justgo back or wait for a new autonooter
Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

I will probably wait. I'm excited about the update and I check every day to see if it's here yet--but I hate it when things aren't "perfect." I will wait until I hear all the oooohs and ahhhhs before I update.

At least, I think I'm going to wait...:smileywink:

Contributor
JeffryG
0 Kudos

Add my name to those not updating right away.  I'd like to wait a week or two to see if there are any problems.  Heck, I didn't upgrade to Windows 7 until my old computer crashed and I HAD to buy a new one (with Windows 7 on it).  I wouldn't have done it if it were not pre-installed.  Yes, I'm an old man and change is hard for me.  :smileywink:

"Each gravestone has a few things on it: a date of birth, a dash and a date of death. Well, that dash is our life... and it's what we do with that dash that really matters."
Kimberly Johnson
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I'm waiting. I'm rooted. I would like Flash and the interactive cookbooks if they are ever going to come out. And I want to hear from those of you that did that anti-update thing to see if it really worked - do let us know please as I would like to do it but I see not guarantees.

Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

I am going to wait for a couple of weeks to see how the update goes with the downloaders :-) I tend to be one of those who is blessed by the law of Murphy in cases of "upgrades". I have the rooted nook and disabled the auto update with the software :-) 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

I am not going to sideload.....going to wait until it comes to my nook. Unless I can't wait....lol

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update blocking tip, Parrothead. I will try to set that up tomorrow.
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Ill be installing it the second I find out it is available. - bugs and all. I just can wait for new toys to play with.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Correspondent
LGman
0 Kudos

dfehling wrote:
Ill be installing it the second I find out it is available. - bugs and all. I just can wait for new toys to play with.
Me too! I will update asap. No time to waste. Dont want any moss on my rolling stone. Tick tock. Times a wastin.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

JaconKin wrote:
Funny how when my nookcolor starts it says powered by Adobe such and such, flash is just fine as long as you aren't stupid stupid in your browsing. Or if you Steve Jobs and a disciple of his.

DRM isn't an application.

I freely admit it - I've never liked Flash. Nothing to do with Apple or Steve Jobs at all. Open standards are the most powerful aspect of the internet, and Flash is a never ending effort to force proprietary software on all of us while adding no value at all. Anyone who is really good at Flash could have learned to build those sites in CSS/DHTML, and could do it now using jQuery and HTML5.

I had to live without Flash for 2 years, when I had an iPhone and was running 64 bit Linux on my computer (it took Adobe 3 years to deliver a Flash plugin for 64 bit Linux). It really wasn't that big of a deal for me, though it was a small deal for the sites I stopped using and the businesses I stopped buying from.