Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Azilla
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone NOT going to update right away?

if this update puts out the quick office that quick office said they were working on and a comic book viewer I would probably unroot. because those are the 2 reason why I rooted..

I still will wait and see..and once autonooter works for the new update I will feel comfertable unrooting to check it out

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

I have blocked the automatic update function on my Nook.  I am going to wait until the devs come up with the option for rooting the new update.

With the exception of Flash (and I don't really care about Flash), I already have everything the update is offering and more.  I doubt, very seriously, that the app store is going to have anything new and exciting that I can't get anywhere else!

Ditto here, except I'm probably going to wait for a pre-rooted update package to become available and read about users' experiences with the update (stability, for instance). I'm interested in Flash, because I visit a lot of websites with embedded flash videos. But it's not so super important to me that I'd unroot to get it.

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Koolgooseygramma wrote:

I am not sure if I want an update or not.  I keep my wifi off unless I am downloading a book.  If I download a book  after the update, I assume my NOOKcolor will automatically receive this update.

I do not know how to block an update.  I have not rooted my NC.

If you've not rooted then there's no reason to not let the update happen (unless you're worried you'll download Angry Birds and not have the self control to stop playing it and use the NC as an eReader as it was intended, LOL).

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

[ Edited ]

To me, the biggest problem with Flash is that web designers and webmasters abuse it.  It should be eye-candy, something to enhance your site.  But way too many sites are all Flash (or such a high concentration of it that they might as well be 100%).  My biggest pet peeve with Flash web sites is when they totally ignore the use of alt tags.  If you're browsing without Flash, there should be some way to get to the content of the web site.  Alt tags allow for this.  Without alt tags, you (the webmaster) are telling me that I simply have to have Flash installed.  Sorry, but if you (the webmaster) are so lackadaisical in your coding, I'm simply not interested enough to view your web site.  I haven't reached the end of the Internet yet, so your site is just one of millions I'll never come back to.

end rant   :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.