Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
johngnh
0 Kudos

App Buyer Beware

Just spent a lot of time with Angry Birds install, over an hour with B&N support.  Still will not install.  Have been told by B&N to contact the developer.  I feel that is not my responsibility and asked for a refund ($2.99) which they refused.

So, be warned, that if you download an app from B&N and it doesn't install, you are stuck with it and B&N keeps your money.

Inspired Contributor
cyclingplatypus

Re: App Buyer Beware

Do you have an SD card installed?  If so, remove it and try to install it then put the SD card back in.

Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70

I really hope that the as the OP spent so much time with customer support that they told him of the SD card issue.  If they don't know, or didn't suggest this there is a break down somewhere in the process.

The fact that other than the SD card issue workaround everyone has Angry Birds running, woudl suggest that perhaps CS didn't know.

Contributor
johngnh
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

It is not B&N's responsibility to refund money for apps any more than it is Google's responsibility to refund money on Android Market apps that customers don't like.  It is ALWAYS up to the developer.

Frequent Contributor
philoso4

Wouldn't you think that B&N would have checked out all the apps that they offer in order to be sure they work on the Nook Color? If they had opened the NC up to the Android Market it would make sense for the buyer to beware. But they did not. They provide only a limited number which supposedly have been vetted. If there are vagaries such as removing SD before installing, then B&N should note those.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

I do not agree that the customer should contact the developer. BN operates the store, prescreens the apps, taken their 30% off the top and has far more clout with the developer than we do. Premier retail oprations like Costco, Walmart, and Macy's always take responsibilty for the products they choose to sell. If BN opened the nookcolor to the android marketplace, i could see them telling the customer to contact the developer. BN needs to take responsibilty, it would be very easy for them to say to the developer, "we have a problem here that you need to fix, otherwise you don't get paid."
Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000

The solution for BN is simple.  If they do not want to back products sold in their app store, forgo the 30% and give us access to the "real" app store.   It would increase the value of the NOOKcolor as a tablet.  Apple has developers and programmers to vet apps in their store.  Do BN have qualified people to do that?

This can be the best tablet on the market based on form factor and price.  BN needs to take care not to mess it up.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

I downloaded mine last night....no problems. But I don't have a sd card either and I know if you do, you need to take it out first. It is SOOOOO much better playing it on a bigger screen!!

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

How is this any different than their return policy for books?

If I accidentally download a book, I don't get a refund either even if I call within 5 seconds of making the accidental purchase. If I purchase the book, I am stuck with it...

Frequent Contributor
philoso4
0 Kudos

From experience I know that if you purchase a book and it has a fault, B&N will refund. It's not as if you purchase an app by mistake. It is that the app has a fault.

Frequent Contributor
solitair
0 Kudos

The Google market does give you some time to test out the app and if you don't want it, you can get a refunt (I think it is 30 min).

Wordsmith
SCIONTX

solitair wrote:

The Google market does give you some time to test out the app and if you don't want it, you can get a refunt (I think it is 30 min).

It's 15 minutes. Apple gives a refund, as well as Amazon. There are time constraints. Again, B&N doing what makes no sense at all.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

Have any of the critics who are so quick to bash B&N for ANY and EVERYTHING bothered to double check if John, the OP, is being truthful or not? I doubt the veracity of his story. But hey, if it puts B&N in a bad light, let's believe it....right?  Has anybody but ONE PERSON experienced this alleged offense?

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

I've loaded a few apps and all worked perfectly.

Contributor
johngnh
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
philoso4
0 Kudos

If you search on -angry birds- you will find several complaints.

Contributor
The_Pink_Ranger
0 Kudos

I had issues downloading Angry Birds, I purcahsed it but it refused to install. Removed SD, reinstall, now works fine. 1-800-THE-BOOK told me of this fix. Try it and please post if it solved your issue

New User
GaryPerlman
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info on the b&n return policy. Amazon gives customers a week to return a kindle book, although I've never used the feature. Amazon's first message to me after a purchase is "was this purchase a mistake?" I wonder how Amazon stops misuse. I'll be extra careful on the nook.

Contributor
kah9932

Humm,

I'm going to go with one poster pointing out that the person making the complaint may not be so honest.

I work in tech support as a job and really I would think it's the type of SD card that may be the problem.  As far as SD cards go for the Nook the best card would be a SDHD (High-Capacity) card which come in 4-32 gigs.

If you take the card from let's say a camera and plunk it into your Nook, yes it would work but if you wanted to do video or something that required some real memory/ processing then that type of card just would not work.

Look people at some point in time you as the consumer should be looking at what you are buying.  You are not 3 year olds that need mommy or daddy to look after you.

Before I purchased any of the apps I looked at the reviews first so I could make an informed decision.

If we were talking about a program like Quickbooks or EPI then I would take the complaint seriously, but really we are talking about a game.

May I suggest a little perspective.